Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Cam Talbot signs with the Flames (1 year, $2.75M)

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I am whelmed. As I said in the other thread, we survived Mike Smith at his worst, so in theory Talbot can't sink us. One way or another, one Alberta team is gonna be mad.
Somehow flames seem to always get the beter hand when it comes to ex oilers. So im gonna assume Talbot goes back to his vezina form like he had the playoff year.

And then you guys sign Maroon and he goes back to his 29 goal form.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong though

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
How many times did Smith let in the first shot of the game for Calgary?
Asking for a friend.

No, the first shot of the game that Talbot let in while in Edmonton wasn't a "grade A+++" scoring chance because of Edmonton's shitty defence all that often.
Answering for a friend.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
That really isn't true. However this is a good signing by the Flames.
Ya cause rittichs 27-9 with a 911.sv% is so bad eh lmao not to mention flames were 1st in the west and 2nd in the entire league ..

Last edited by a moderator:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah. I like the sentiment from Talbot taking a "prove it" deal for a shot at playing behind a potential contender. If he does manage to bounce back in that environment, it'll be a great signing for the Flames.

It just feels like Calgary have made it an annual tradition to gamble on something like this as a half-baked ploy to fix their goaltending situation. Not sure there's really much better to gamble on this particular year, but it feels like they're always determined to take the lowest cost/biggest risk option pretty much every summer. :dunno:
Calgary actually traded a second and a conditional third for Elliott. They traded a 3rd, Johnson, and Hickey for Smith. In 2014, they signed Hiller to a 4.5 million contract.

Signing a low end UFA goalie is not the norm.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Ya cause rittichs 27-9 with a 911.sv% is so bad eh lmao not to mention flames were 1st in the west and 2nd in the entire league .

I bet I watched Talbot a hell of a lot more than you have. Good signing, but Koskinen outplayed Talbot and took the starting job fair and square. Still, a terrible contract signed by Chia.

Last edited by a moderator:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Calgary actually traded a second and a conditional third for Elliott. They traded a 3rd, Johnson, and Hickey for Smith. In 2014, they signed Hiller to a 4.5 million contract.

Signing a low end UFA goalie is not the norm.

I don't mean just "sign a cheap UFA". I mean, take the cheaper option with more risk. Which is what those deals for Elliott and Smith respectively, felt like at those times. Instead of going after a big target, they skimmed the classifieds for a guy they could get for "cheaper". Middle-lower end options on whatever the market is. Which in the end, often ends up being more expensive if they don't end up solving the problem for you and you're diving into that pool every summer.

If Rittich continues to hold up to what he's looked capable of, it probably doesn't matter and they've had the problem basically fix itself. Talbot won't be asked to do so much. But just seems to me they've spent a lot of "smaller" outlays of assets (picks, prospects, cap space) on trying to solve it with cheaper options over the years. :dunno:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't like it as a Flames fan, but we are kind of cap crunched so I guess he will do.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How many times did Smith let in the first shot of the game for Calgary?
Asking for a friend.

No, the first shot of the game that Talbot let in while in Edmonton wasn't a "grade A+++" scoring chance because of Edmonton's ****ty defence all that often.
Answering for a friend.

What does Smith have anything to do with Talbot? Smith sucked, Talbot sucked..so what? Asking for a friend

Why are oilers fans so excite about flames minor signing...are they worried? Asking for a friend

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
I like a guy who is betting on himself. He wants to prove that he can play behind a decent NHL defense. Talbot looked really good a couple years ago and this would put Calgary right back into the mix for the Cup.
The Oilers have largely the exact same defense as when they made it to game 7 in the 2nd round. A few injuries last year but Talbot simply wasn’t as good as he was that year. He let in the first shot on goal so many times. That can’t all be blamed on the D.

He very well could rebound but he struggled in Philly also. I hope he does, he’s a good guy.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The Oilers have largely the exact same defense as when they made it to game 7 in the 2nd round. A few injuries last year but Talbot simply wasn’t as good as he was that year. He let in the first shot on goal so many times. That can’t all be blamed on the D.

He very well could rebound but he struggled in Philly also. I hope he does, he’s a good guy.

I totally agree with everything you said here. It was rough watching the first shot go in so many times when he played for the Oilers. He also struggled in Philly, but the Flames have better D than either the Oilers or the Flyers so maybe with limited starts he'll be okay.

Decent guy, hope he has a great career.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

I keep hearing this but the man played just three games in Philly.. You can't take anything from that. He struggled last year - no one is denying that, but it's not as if he has been a dumpster fire for a few years now. He's had one poor year, one mediocre year, three very good years, and one elite year.

Essentially every goaltender that has left/joined Edmonton's system recently has been far more successful elsewhere.

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
Career SV% with the Oilers | not with the Oilers:
- Talbot, .912 | .928
- Dubnyk, .910 | .920
- Scrivens, .898 | .914
- Nilsson, .901 | .908
- Brossoit, .897 | .925

Reactions: Nanuuk

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Really smart move. Oilers D was crap for 2 years and Talbot suffered as a result

If Talbot goes god mode like he did in 2015/2016 (he was WAY better than the raw save % will show, he bailed out that team and carried them to playoffs)- Flames will win a cup. Talbot is a very good goalie when hes on. And when hes off, hes still solid. Just needs a average D core in front of him

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As an extra: Talbot was riden for 70+ games in 2016. Then in the 2 years after, he was facing one of the heaviest workloads in the league. He lost his confidence and mojo and suffered as a result.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
The Flames have a solid defense. Talbot will probably revert back to his average numbers. Last season was a disaster in Edmonton. He's best suited to be a battling backup (like in NY) scraping for respectability. One great season as a starter. I'm guessing the Flames need to sign Talbot for 1.5M in order to save space for the massive Tkachuk deal that's surely coming .

Anthony17

Jun 27, 2019
Talbot is not a goalie I feel comfortable with if the flames want to make the playoffs and be real contenders. They have to get past Colorado,Vegas,St. Louis, San Jose possibly Nashville and Winnipeg the flames don't stand a chance in the west.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If he can return to 15/16 form, Flames win the West again, if he plays like last year I doubt he gets more than 20 starts.

Hoping for the scenario where he finds his game again.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Talbot is not a goalie I feel comfortable with if the flames want to make the playoffs and be real contenders. They have to get past Colorado,Vegas,St. Louis, San Jose possibly Nashville and Winnipeg the flames don't stand a chance in the west.
They finished 1st last year with Mike Smith.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Really smart move. Oilers D was crap for 2 years and Talbot suffered as a result

If Talbot goes god mode like he did in 2015/2016 (he was WAY better than the raw save % will show, he bailed out that team and carried them to playoffs)- Flames will win a cup. Talbot is a very good goalie when hes on. And when hes off, hes still solid. Just needs a average D core in front of him
No. When he's off, he's garbage. Like most any other goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad