Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Calgary re-signs Sean Monahan (7 Years, $6.375M AAV)

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
As long as this means 7 more years of Boring Sean Monahan, I'm okay with this deal :p

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Huh?

Find me some contracts in the last decade for a 21YO (going on 22) centre with the following history:

245+ games (Monahan has 248)
80+ goals (Monahan has 83)
80+ assists (Monahan has 82)
2300+ faceoffs won (Monahan has won 2359 of 4821)

I agree overall and think this is a great contract (locked in for 7 years at a good rate now).

But faceoffs won as a raw number, when he's under 50% in faceoffs? Not the most flattering stat to throw out on an overall very good player (admittedly, he's just under 50% at 48.9%, but all it shows is that he's just below average, and used a lot).

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Based on 20 minutes a game and 82 games played
it's $3,887 per minute on ice.

I used to always say " I should have been a doctor"

Well done kiddo !!! Great deal

I hope Ryan Strome doesn't think he is getting money like this

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Chris Kunitz is +29 to Scheifele's +16. Says enough.

LOL at the +/- use . I bet they would all be - if the played in front of the goalies Calgary had last season . Cam Talbot had a 917 save % this year and look at how much the Oilers players +/- improved from 2014/2015 to 2015/2016 . When a goalie can't stop a beach ball your +/- goes to ****

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
LOL at the +/- use . I bet they would all be - if the played in front of the goalies Calgary had last season . Cam Talbot had a 917 save % this year and look at how much the Oilers players +/- improved from 2014/2015 to 2015/2016 . When a goalie can't stop a beach ball your +/- goes to ****

Yep. Sekera and Klefbom deserve credit as well for helping remedy that problem.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is a similar deal to what Toews got except it is 2 years longer and with inflation.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I agree overall and think this is a great contract (locked in for 7 years at a good rate now).

But faceoffs won as a raw number, when he's under 50% in faceoffs? Not the most flattering stat to throw out on an overall very good player (admittedly, he's just under 50% at 48.9%, but all it shows is that he's just below average, and used a lot).

The majority of young centers don't do well at faceoffs when they come into the league. Sure there are a few exceptions, but the big thing with Monahan has been his progression in that regard. I don't agree with showing them as a bulk number.

1st season: 45.9%
2nd season: 49.3%
3rd season: 51%

He's 21 and still has lots of time to grow. This includes further offensive growth, defensively, and at things like faceoffs. He's already a leader on the team, and I expect him to replace Gio as the captain someday.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
How can anyone not say this is a fair deal? I despise the Flames but this is a good deal for both. I'd take Monahan over Scheifele if I had my choice. Goudreau owes alot of his success to Monahan and vice versa. No 1 centers are hard to acquire so teams have to draft and develop them. Its a fair deal for both sides imo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pretty solid deal for both parties. It's right in line with the contracts signed by some of the games best young centres over the past couple of months. I think Winnipeg, Colorado, Calgary and Florida will be quite happy with the value they fleet out of these deals.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
How can anyone not say this is a fair deal? I despise the Flames but this is a good deal for both. I'd take Monahan over Scheifele if I had my choice. Goudreau owes alot of his success to Monahan and vice versa. No 1 centers are hard to acquire so teams have to draft and develop them. Its a fair deal for both sides imo

Arguably the best we've had since Joe freaking Nieuwendyk. Next best runners up are Daymond Langkow and Craig Conroy.

Still a complete shame we never truly got Iggy a #1C to work with. He had some good wingers in Huselius, Tanguay and Cammalleri to work with from time to time, but outside of Langkow and Conroy there never was much chemistry.

Hell, we had David Moss playing centre on the top line coming out of training camp one season.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Pretty solid deal for both parties. It's right in line with the contracts signed by some of the games best young centres over the past couple of months. I think Winnipeg, Colorado, Calgary and Florida will be quite happy with the value they fleet out of these deals.

Most respectable post I've read on here

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
comparing two great contracts in Scheifele and Monahan is like splitting hairs. You know its true when we start comparing face off percentage. Ill even go off the board and say Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle are great contracts. By the time Monahan and company reach the ends of the deals, players of their caliber/age will be making over ten million a year. See Tavares contract as example, signed it with very comparable numbers at a young age, and is now one of the biggest steals in the league in need of a huge raise. The only thing I dont like about this contract is that it isnt 8 years !

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
comparing two great contracts in Scheifele and Monahan is like splitting hairs. You know its true when we start comparing face off percentage. Ill even go off the board and say Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle are great contracts. By the time Monahan and company reach the ends of the deals, players of their caliber/age will be making over ten million a year. See Tavares contract as example, signed it with very comparable numbers at a young age, and is now one of the biggest steals in the league in need of a huge raise. The only thing I dont like about this contract is that it isnt 8 years !

I can agree about the 8 year part... Having a guy for one additional year in his prime would of made this contract great.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Barkov definitely signed for less than he could get. Good guy.
That much is evident.

Plus the Florida tax rate probably makes it so he's taking home as much money, if not more, than his equivalent counterparts.

EDIT: Johnny beat me to the punch, dammit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Barkov definitely signed for less than he could get. Good guy.
That much is evident.

Barkov signed for one less year. That's a UFA year. It's only 475k AAV difference.

edit: Monahan also had much more NHL production at the time of signing compared to Barkov. Barkov signed mid season during his one and only break out season. Monahan signed after completing his 2nd hugely productive season.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty good signing, other than Gaudreau who else does Calgary have left? Winnipeg's just waiting on Trouba's deal.. who knows how long that clown Overhardt is going to try and drag that out.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
skeptical. paying for what ifs right now. hopefully it pays off

*Shrug* Even if he never improves, $6 million isn't bad for a 60 point 1st line centre. In case you haven't noticed, 60 points is a lot of points in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad