Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Calgary re-signs Sean Monahan (7 Years, $6.375M AAV)

Damien

Jul 26, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
The Calgary Flames are on the verge of coming to terms on a longterm contract with Sean Monahan that could be announced as early as Friday.

While Flames GM Brad Treliving refused to comment, a source told the Calgary Sun the 21-year-old centre will likely be inked to a a seven or eight year deal as part of a contract that will make him the highest-paid of all the high-profile young centres who’ve signed extensions to their entry-level deals this summer.

On Thursday afternoon Monahan’s high-powered agent, Pat Morris, told the Sun he was now having daily conversations with Treliving and was “more optimistic now than a week ago.â€
Looks like part 1/2 of Jonny Monny might be almost done.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/08/19/flames-centre-sean-monahans-agent-says-contract-will-be-in-place-before-world-cup

MOD EDIT:
Now confirmed

Last edited by a moderator:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
OP article said:
Debate all you want about who the best player of [Barkov/Scheifele/MacKinnon] is and will be, but Monahan’s 80 goals and 159 points over three seasons leads the group, giving Morris ample ammunition to suggest Monahan should be the highest paid of the lot.

And he will be.

That sucks. The only guy in that group Monahan is actually more talented than is Scheifele, and even he's a bit more proven analytically at this point.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Very smart to get Monahan done first. The fear for Calgary would have been that they get signed together, or even that Gaudreau goes first and then Monahan wants Gaudreau money.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Scheifele overtook Monahan last season and I think he'll stay ahead for the next several seasons now that he's in the #1 C role and will play with the Jets top wingers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
--> outproduces Scheifele in every single league at every single age
--> nuff said

Scheifele was a late bloomer and is still improving substantially. He was better last season than Monahan has been yet. They will likely both still improve.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Eric Francis:Francis: Monahan close to signing?

The Calgary Flames are on the verge of coming to terms on a longterm contract with Sean Monahan that could be announced as early as Friday.

While Flames GM Brad Treliving refused to comment, a source told the Calgary Sun the 21-year-old centre will likely be inked to a a seven or eight year deal as part of a contract that will make him the highest-paid of all the high-profile young centres who’ve signed extensions to their entry-level deals this summer.

On Thursday afternoon Monahan’s high-powered agent, Pat Morris, told the Sun he was now having daily conversations with Treliving and was “more optimistic now than a week ago.â€

He said the deal was taking so much time because “both sides are methodical and well-prepared,†and because of “differences of opinion and other players having signed.â€

Asked how soon a deal might be done, Morris provided plenty of relief for fans worrying why neither of the Flames two cornerstones have been locked up.

“I’d say sooner than later,†said Morris.

“The process had a lot of general discussions for a long time but it started to pick up steam at the draft. And still, at that time I believe other than (Florida’s Aleksander) Barkov nobody was signed then. Was Calgary waiting for the market to fill in? That would be for them to speak on.â€

Morris is referring to other top young centres in the game who also needed deals after wrapping up successful three-year entry-level contracts like Barkov, who signed for six years and $35.5 million ($5.9 million annual average value). Winnipeg’s Mark Scheifele (8 years/$49 million, $6.125 AAV), Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon (7 years/$44.1 million, $6.3 AAV) and Nashville’s Filip Forsberg (6 years/$36 million, $6 million AAV) were all signed long ago, leaving Monahan, who has outperformed them all.

Debate all you want about who the best player of that bunch is and will be, but Monahan’s 80 goals and 159 points over three seasons leads the group, giving Morris ample ammunition to suggest Monahan should be the highest paid of the lot.

And he will be.

Morris has no doubt been pushing for the $7 million mark annually, while the Flames are trying to make it as close to MacKinnon’s $6.3 million AAV as possible.

Monahan will end up making something in between, perhaps a seven-year pact for roughly $47 million.

Morris confirmed neither side has any interest in a short-term, bridge deal

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/08/1...ys-contract-will-be-in-place-before-world-cup

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Scheifele was a late bloomer and is still improving substantially. He was better last season than Monahan has been yet. They will likely both still improve.

How was he better when they produced the same and it took a mid season hot streak from Scheifele?

Also, more skill does not necessarily make the better player. Not trying to start anything, but I think Monahan is better than all of them except Barkov. And that's coming from someone who's loved Mackinnon since I watched his whole Halifax career live.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Scheifele was also a year and half older and flanked by Ehlers and Wheeler for a stretch where his scoring was at an unsustainable rate. Don't forget Monahan scored at a 52 goal, 30 assist pace himself for a three month period where he was flanked by Hudler/Gaudreau in 2014-15. Scouting reports catch up though.

Monahan still has some huge figurative strides to take in his skating game. Strides Scheifele took at age 22.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Actually, Scheifele had slightly better advanced stats, so maybe he surpassed Monahan a little bit, but I would still take Monahan, who is a year and a bit younger to boot.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
--> outproduces Scheifele in every single league at every single age
--> nuff said

Not sure what league your talking about but scheif outscored monahan in the OHL and is now outscoring him in the NHL and will most likely continue doing so thoughout his career. But that's not even the point, you are talking about talent and scheifele has more raw skill and talent than monahan ever will.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he's getting more than Mackinnon and Barkov, what is Gaudreau going to get? Maybe the hope was to get a Toews/Kane equal pay type deal going and Gaudreau wasn't biting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not sure what league your talking about but scheif outscored monahan in the OHL and is now outscoring him in the NHL and will most likely continue doing so thoughout his career. But that's not even the point, you are talking about talent and scheifele has more raw skill and talent than monahan ever will.
Monahan 17 Year old OHL Year: 62gp-78 pts for 1.26ppg
Scheifele 17 year old OHL Year: 66gp-75pts for 1.14ppg

Monahan 18 year old OHL year: 58gp-78pts for 1.34ppg
Scheifele 18 year old OHL year: 47gp-63 for 1.34ppg

Monahan 20 year old NHL: 81gp-62 pts for .76ppg
Scheifele 20 year old NHL: 63gp-34pt for .54ppg

Monahan 21 year old NHL: 81gp-63 pts for .78ppg
Scheifele 21 year old NHL: 82gp-49 pts for .59ppg

I ignored 19 because Monahan was in the OHL at that age while Scheifele played all of 4 games, and this year because Monahan hasn't played his 22-year-old season yet. Looking at the numbers they tend to favor Monahan, and the only age he didn't decisively outscore Scheifele was their 18-year-old jr year. These comparables would actually put Monahan at a slight disadvantage as a late birthday if we went by d-1, d, d+1, d+2, etc it would favor Monahan by an even wider margin.

As for skill, I don't think one is significantly better than the other. I will say this though over the last two years Monahan seems more dependent on Gaudreau in 5V5 situations than Scheifele is on Wheeler. Although, I do think this is fueled by the fact Monahan tends to be used in primarily defensive situations with Gaudreau which slightly skew the numbers.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1533&withagainst=true&season=2014-16&sit=5v5

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1807&withagainst=true&season=2014-16&sit=5v5

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's said he's willing to leave money on the table so interesting to see what the number is.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Does he sign a 8 years deal??

If so, it will be close to 6,5M$ per.

The kind of money Galchenyuk will get from Montréal.

As for Gaudreau, 7 X 7M$.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Monahan 17 Year old OHL Year: 62gp-78 pts for 1.26ppg
Scheifele 17 year old OHL Year: 66gp-75pts for 1.14ppg

Monahan 18 year old OHL year: 58gp-78pts for 1.34ppg
Scheifele 18 year old OHL year: 47gp-63 for 1.34ppg

Monahan 20 year old NHL: 81gp-62 pts for .76ppg
Scheifele 20 year old NHL: 63gp-34pt for .54ppg

Monahan 21 year old NHL: 81gp-63 pts for .78ppg
Scheifele 21 year old NHL: 82gp-49 pts for .59ppg

I ignored 19 because Monahan was in the OHL at that age while Scheifele played all of 4 games, and this year because Monahan hasn't played his 22-year-old season yet. Looking at the numbers they tend to favor Monahan, and the only age he didn't decisively outscore Scheifele was their 18-year-old jr year. These comparables would actually put Monahan at a slight disadvantage as a late birthday if we went by d-1, d, d+1, d+2, etc it would favor Monahan by an even wider margin.

As for skill, I don't think one is significantly better than the other. I will say this though over the last two years Monahan seems more dependent on Gaudreau in 5V5 situations than Scheifele is on Wheeler. Although, I do think this is fueled by the fact Monahan tends to be used in primarily defensive situations with Gaudreau which slightly skew the numbers.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1533&withagainst=true&season=2014-16&sit=5v5

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1807&withagainst=true&season=2014-16&sit=5v5

e-lawyered

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Keep in mind this is coming from Eric Francis's mouth, he is a hack, straight up, this looks like filler for the newspaper. It's stating the obvious that he will sign soon, but Francis is awful.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Neutral fan jumping in. Monahan was a 60 point center at 20 and then essentially reproduced that at 21. No knock on Scheifele but right now they are roughly similar in production with one being 2 years younger.

I'll take Monahan over Sheifele right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad