Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Calgary re-signs Sean Monahan (7 Years, $6.375M AAV)

mgd525

May 18, 2007
This is a fair or could be a great contract in a few years. Congrats Flames fans.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Love both players, but only one of them plays with an elite offensively talented linemate. How do all your fancy stats take that into account?

Regardless, good contract for a great young player and cornerstone for the Flames going forward.

Blake Wheeler had just as many points as Gaudreau :laugh::laugh: not to mention whatever other winger Scheifele played with was no doubt much better than any of the RW'ers Monahan and Gaudreau had to play with :shakehead

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Blake Wheeler had just as many points as Gaudreau :laugh::laugh: not to mention whatever other winger Scheifele played with was no doubt much better than any of the RW'ers Monahan and Gaudreau had to play with :shakehead

From the Jets games I saw last year, Wheeler played primarily with Little. Wasn't that the case?

Just seemed inconsistent for OKG to boil the argument down to just points when it is a lot more involved than that IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If he's getting more than Mackinnon and Barkov, what is Gaudreau going to get? Maybe the hope was to get a Toews/Kane equal pay type deal going and Gaudreau wasn't biting.

I am thinking Johnny will be getting 8 years at between $7.25-$7.5 million. I think Tarasenko is the ceiling if he goes max term.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Barkov signed for one less year. That's a UFA year. It's only 475k AAV difference.

edit: Monahan also had much more NHL production at the time of signing compared to Barkov. Barkov signed mid season during his one and only break out season. Monahan signed after completing his 2nd hugely productive season.

Plus the Florida tax rate probably makes it so he's taking home as much money, if not more, than his equivalent counterparts.

EDIT: Johnny beat me to the punch, dammit.

After the lower taxes in Florida, they are probably making about the same.

The tax situation for NHL players is similar in Alberta and Florida.

Here's an article about taxes from a few years ago.http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/11/personal-income-taxes-nhl-players-teams-salary-caps/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
From the Jets games I saw last year, Wheeler played primarily with Little. Wasn't that the case?

Just seemed inconsistent for OKG to boil the argument down to just points when it is a lot more involved than that IMO.

Scheifele produced like a 2C before he blew up on the Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler line, scoring more than 53 percent of his 5v5 points in the less than 39 percent of his ice time that he spent with Wheeler. Additionally five of Scheifele's seven PP goals came in the less than twenty games after Little's injury.

Also Monahan did not play with Gaudreau in Junior. Or as a rookie. Or for a shade over half of his sophomore season. To imply the difference in their entire careers is the result of a single linemate is disingenious.

There is really no rationale upon which to base the claim that Scheifele has been the better player at any age. About all you can claim is that a 22.5 year old Scheifele outperformed a 21 year old Monahan for once. Which is more a testament to a solid dev curve (hard work) than innate talent(natural ability). Monahan was scoring 22 goals as a kid based off talent alone as a 19 year old when his development was behind enough that he should not even have played in the NHL.

Again though, MacKinnon and Barkov are more innately talented than Monahan all the same. Scheifele is the odd man out in that group until he proves do something the other three don't replicate at the same ages. Since he's 2.5 years older than MacKinnon/Barkov and 1.5 years older than Monahan, it is only fair to compare like ages. Do other factors contribute yes they do but those other factors are a wash in this case. Unless you think one way wingers like ROOKIE Joe Colborne (27pts) and Jiri Hudler (45pts) were better linemates than the likes of two way wingers Perrault (40+ pts) and Frolik (40+ pts).

Either way even factoring in time spent prior to this year, Scheifele's career most common 5v5 linemate is... Blake Wheeler.

Not to mention Nikolaj Ehlers in the second half of his rookie season was no chump either.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This in a couple a years gonna be a HUGE steal for calgary. Mono is one talented guy so good for him and the flames and bad news for Nucks and Oilers

And LOL at the jets fans saying Scheifle is better :laugh:

Not a Jets fan. As of right now, Scheifele is better. Similar scoring, but better two-way impact. He's also older and it's possible Monahan could surpass him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The whole 'Monahan can't produce without Gaudreau' needs to stop.

Yeah. He's on pace for 50-55 points per season without Gaudreau. But his wingers for the majority of that time were Glencross and Jones. 4th liners/scrubs. I think you'd be hard pressed to find 10 centres in the league that would put up 60 points with those guys as wings. The Flames literally have no top 6 forwards other then Gaudreau and Backund (also a C).

Also, the Flames have the worst offensive depth in the NHL. Teams are able to focus on Gaudreau and Monahan more than any other top line in the NHL. Stop Gaudreau and Monahan and you beat the Flames.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not a Jets fan. As of right now, Scheifele is better. Similar scoring, but better two-way impact. He's also older and it's possible Monahan could surpass him.

I LOVE the Jets they are my #2? team but the fact is Monahan is better he has more natural talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad