Proposal: [CGY/BUF] Andersson for Cozens+

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
If 25 is too old for you then I have sincere concerns. Younger than that chances are pretty good that you have no idea what that player is, or the player is going to be absolutely unobtainable.

Mittelstadt has never made the playoffs, to date. Calgary, for better or worse, always manages to stay in the hunt even when they should be rebuilding.

25 and American is a double concern, but yes 25 is too old for me for a guy with at best 2nd line ceiling.

If Calgary are sticking around the play-offs for the next 3-5 years then I don't care who we bring in because it will be a waste of time.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Flames jump on this easily. Doubt Buffalo accepts it.

Krebs sucks, would rather have Middelsdat.

What about Andersson and Mangiapane for Cozens, Middelsdat and 1st.
The entire reason for trading Cozens would be if Buffalo has decided Mittlestadt is their long term 2C and extend him. They might look to move one of them for the right player (like a RHD in Andersson). Not both

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We won't have anyone to play center for us if any of these proposals actually happen, which they won't.

I don't disagree.
Calgary fans love Cozens because of the Southern Alberta connection he has. We're sort of in a position we need guy who want to be here long term haha.

I think in a vacuum, if you squint you can see how an Andersson/Cozens swap could work but also, not sure it does really. Buffalo is in essentially eternal rebuild and we're sort of eternal mediocrity.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ledge And Dairy

Too many people still think it's 2020, I see.

Mittelstadt has emerged as a very good 2C. He leads the Sabres in even strength points with 38 (same amount as Kadri). Just about zero chance Buffalo moves Cozens and Mittelstadt for that Flames package.
That's good for him. That doesn't change that he is absolutely a player Calgary should be avoiding though. Why would the Flames want a 3rd 2nd line caliber center when they don't have a single 1st line caliber center? Mittelstadt would be a great target for a team Colorado who is in desperate need of a legitimate 2C

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's good for him. That doesn't change that he is absolutely a player Calgary should be avoiding though. Why would the Flames want a 3rd 2nd line caliber center when they don't have a single 1st line caliber center? Mittelstadt would be a great target for a team Colorado who is in desperate need of a legitimate 2C
You're not getting a 1C via trade, though. Especially not if you're only trading Andersson and selling off UFA's. It's actually not a bad idea to trade for a guy like Mittelstadt - on the off chance Buffalo is silly enough to have him available - and see if he keeps trending upwards. Kadri's getting a little long in the tooth.

Reactions: PatLaFontaineASMR

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Cozens fell that much?

I don’t think “fell off” is the term you’re looking for. He’s a kid still developing. He’s got lots of talent and tools, but he’s still learning how to use them effectively—that’s normal and expected, and he has a ton of value. It’s just that Andersson is a top pairing RHD, and those also have a ton of value.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
You're not getting a 1C via trade, though. Especially not if you're only trading Andersson and selling off UFA's. It's actually not a bad idea to trade for a guy like Mittelstadt - on the off chance Buffalo is silly enough to have him available - and see if he keeps trending upwards. Kadri's getting a little long in the tooth.

Yeah but Cozens isn’t a 1C. You do this trade hoping maybe he gets there. Buffalo is set with Thompson long term at 1C

Again, not sure the sabres would do this but I like the idea from a flames POV

Reactions: Lunatik

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Calgary fans floating Rasmus Andersson is wild. The Summer of Treliving really set that team back a ways.

The guy they should be really looking to move is Kadri while he has some lustre.

Ledge And Dairy

I never said anyone is trading Calgary a 1C but Mittelstadt will never be that guy. He's pretty clearly established himself at this point as just that, and his ridiculously high GF vs xGF this year indicates he is probably overperforming too. I view him as a similar player to Duchene, who I don't consider to be a championship caliber 1C. Andersson should not be at all available, especially for a player that doesn't improve our center core. I would making him available for Cozens as I think he has the potential to be a 1C but I certainly wouldn't make him available for a player like Mittelstadt who doesn't.

As for Kadri, when he eventually shifts to wing (2-4 years down the road) we have Zary who can move to center in his place.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I'd say it's a combination that Cozens is having a rough year and that Andersson keeps improving and provides a very interesting and rare set of tools as he can skate and lead the rush, play physical, he can PK and block shots, he doesn't make many bad pinches... and he's a RHD. Honestly Ras is kinda a unicorn.
Brace yourselves people! More Unicorns incoming!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I never said anyone is trading Calgary a 1C but Mittelstadt will never be that guy. He's pretty clearly established himself at this point as just that, and his ridiculously high GF vs xGF this year indicates he is probably overperforming too. I view him as a similar player to Duchene, who I don't consider to be a championship caliber 1C. Andersson should not be at all available, especially for a player that doesn't improve our center core. I would making him available for Cozens as I think he has the potential to be a 1C but I certainly wouldn't make him available for a player like Mittelstadt who doesn't.

As for Kadri, when he eventually shifts to wing (2-4 years down the road) we have Zary who can move to center in his place.
The hypothetical trade I was replying to had BOTH Cozens and Mittelstadt going to Calgary, which is obviously insane, and why I said some people are stuck in 2020. Mittelstadt is no throw in piece.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Calgary fans floating Rasmus Andersson is wild. The Summer of Treliving really set that team back a ways.

The guy they should be really looking to move is Kadri while he has some lustre.
Andersson has a ton of value and every team in the league would look to add him given his very reasonable contract and his position

The right move could really bring in something shiny for the Flames

Not many teams are in a position to take on Kadri and commit to that contract

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
The hypothetical trade I was replying to had BOTH Cozens and Mittelstadt going to Calgary, which is obviously insane, and why I said some people are stuck in 2020. Mittelstadt is no throw in piece.

Mitts has a ton of value for sure. Just more of the same for Calgary and for that reason I don’t think they’d want him. Kadri type, not a 1C. I’d rather they go pure futures if cozens wasn’t available.

A 25 year old decent 2C does nothing for the team as is

Ledge And Dairy

Oh I agree that Buffalo would never do that trade, I also think they would never do the OP's trade. I'm simply explaining how Mittelstadt specifically is a horrible target for a team like Calgary who has no elite talent to surround him with.

Personally if I were Buffalo I look at Mittelstadt this year and think they should sell high on him. He's a 5-6M caliber player that is going to be asking for 7M+ this summer due to a ridiculously lopsided GF. I think he would be a great target for a team like Colorado as a 2C since they already have their 1C in Nate.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't usually start threads in here but I suggested this in a couple threads and there has been a wide variety of responses from Sabres fans ranging from Yes, to No, to they'd think about it, to they don't know if the Sabres would deal 2 centers in the same trade, so it should be for Owen Powers. So I thought I would open it up to the masses.

:sabres:flames
D - Rasmus AnderssonC - Dylan Cozens
C - Peyton Krebs
D - Jacob Bryson
I don't know Bryson, but he better be a decent prospect because Krebs looks like an NHL/AHL tweener to me. Another Tyson Jost. Not skilled enough for the top 6, not heavy or defensive enough for a bottom six role.

Cozens has potential, but is having a down year big time. Makes you wonder if last year or this year was the outlier.

The base of a deal of Anderson for Cozens is interesting. You're on to something here if the Flames really are wanting to Anderson for a young C.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know Bryson, but he better be a decent prospect because Krebs looks like an NHL/AHL tweener to me. Another Tyson Jost. Not skilled enough for the top 6, not heavy or defensive enough for a bottom six role.

Cozens has potential, but is having a down year big time. Makes you wonder if last year or this year was the outlier.

The base of a deal of Anderson for Cozens is interesting. You're on to something here if the Flames really are wanting to Anderson for a young C.
Bryson is a younger 3rd pairing defenseman, he hasn't been a prospect in at least a couple years. Krebs was selected because I think he has potential, a buy low candidate.

I really don't think we "want" to trade Andersson, but my gut tells me he's the only way we get a young C with some hope to be a #1 in a trade.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Hronek went for a mid 1st plus a 2nd. I would say that is the most comparable trade that has happened lately.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The fact you're comparing Andersson to Ghost tells me you have no idea who Andersson is

Point producing defensemen who are dogshit in every other aspect of the game.

Even if he was adequate defensively, you're out to lunch if you think he's returning Cozens + Krebs +. Thanks for playing. :thumbu:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Point producing defensemen who are dogshit in every other aspect of the game.

Even if he was adequate defensively, you're out to lunch if you think he's returning Cozens + Krebs +. Thanks for playing. :thumbu:
Andersson is far more than "adequate" defensively, you really have zero idea who he is.

Reactions: LynnLoins

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
No thank you. I really don't think another offensive D who struggles in his own zone is what Buffalo needs.

Would much rather go after Weegar. Wouldn't give up Cozens for either, though.

EDIT: If Andersson's contract was longer, I'd do Power for him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hronek went for a mid 1st plus a 2nd. I would say that is the most comparable trade that has happened lately.

Hronek is an interesting comparable to bring up for Andersson. But i'd take Andersson pretty easily over Hronek...even knowing what we do after the trade, with how well he's worked out for Vancouver.

At the time of that Hronek trade, he was looked at as much more of an offensive-skewed 2nd pairing type D. Rasmus Andersson is much closer to a true Top-pairing all around guy. Especially compared to Hronek perception at the time of the trade.

All that said though...

If the Sabres would be happier giving up Cozens for Andersson rather than Mittelstadt, that's the sort of deal that probably makes the Flames actually consider it as well. For Calgary...Cozens >>> Mittelstadt in terms of what they really need.

I'd almost wonder though, if instead of throwing Krebs in there...there isn't a backfill Defenceman that wouldn't make more sense as a small+. Even Jokiharju maybe. He's a true #4/5 tweener and he's small, but if the Flames are losing Tanev and then trading away Andersson as well...they're going to need to backfill a little bit at RHD and Jokiharju would at least provide a little bit of something to bridge the gap. Also really not worth much and not really needed in Buffalo in this sort of deal.

Krebs feels like selling really low on a guy, which is always going to make that "value" complicated to ascertain. And for Calgary...Cozens/Kadri/Backlund has things pretty much sewed up down the middle anyway.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Bryson is a younger 3rd pairing defenseman, he hasn't been a prospect in at least a couple years. Krebs was selected because I think he has potential, a buy low candidate.

I really don't think we "want" to trade Andersson, but my gut tells me he's the only way we get a young C with some hope to be a #1 in a trade.
I wish the Avs had the cap space to extend Lindholm. But Ritchie was way too high a price to pay for a pure rental. Especially with Nuke going AWOL again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad