Confirmed Trade: [CGY/BOS] Dan Vladar for 2022 3rd round pick

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I thought they were pretty high on him and Swayman.
I personally wanted to see a Swayman/Vladar tandem. (hell they had to do it for a chunk of last season and they kept them afloat).

Excited about Swayman... but between starting an injured Rask during the playoffs, and signing Ullmark for 4 years... makes you wonder how the brass feels about him. I was expecting a vet backup, but nothing long term like this.

Like any goalie prospect. This could potentially look like a huge steal in the future. Or it could be a blip on the transaction page. Vladar has promise, and has performed in the NHL level, but he's still a question mark. A low risk move by Calgary. Bruins have more at risk, since they just sunk 5M into Ullmark while having a cost controlled goalie tandem.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Do I like this as Flames fan? Someone tell me how to feel.

You like it. He might not work out but is very good gamble to take. He's just not as good as Swayman at the moment, picked up Ullmark, and the questions about Rask.
Vladar looks like he could be a starting goalie soon.
Cowtown should be happy with this trade,

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He reminds me a little bit of Allen in my limited viewing which I'd be very happy with.

Athletic with good hand eye and thrives in ganes with high volume shots? Is this an accurate evaluation on a few minutes of highlights viewing?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Good young goaltender, consistently improving. Big kid too. Sad to see him go. Unfortunate circumstance in Boston with Swayman & now Ullmark due to Rask’s surgery.

Hope he does well in Calgary. I’m expecting he’s a backup this season? Could be a future starter there

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He reminds me a little bit of Allen in my limited viewing which I'd be very happy with.

Athletic with good hand eye and thrives in ganes with high volume shots? Is this an accurate evaluation on a few minutes of highlights viewing?

Right now hes like jonathon quick if jonathon quick didnt know how to play goalie yet.

potential for greatness, currently a bit of an adventure. The impossible save immediately followed by the backbreaking goal against. Thats vladar

Reactions: Fig

Ledge And Dairy

Good young goaltender, consistently improving. Big kid too. Sad to see him go. Unfortunate circumstance in Boston with Swayman & now Ullmark due to Rask’s surgery.

Hope he does well in Calgary. I’m expecting he’s a backup this season? Could be a future starter there
Marky's gonna be the starter for a while, despite some people saying he sucks Markstrom was great to start the year, got concussed in the middle and played poorly but was also great to end the year.

Down the line Wolf is probably going to be the future starter but giving him some competition always helps

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Poor asset management by Sweeney. Should have started with three goalies and seen what Vladar can do rather than tossing him aside for the same pick (and development) invested in Vladar.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Poor asset management by Sweeney. Should have started with three goalies and seen what Vladar can do rather than tossing him aside for the same pick (and development) invested in Vladar.
Drafting and developing goalies is so hard. With the projects like it sounds like Vladar is/was they are waiver eligible and you lose them for nothing before they're quite ready. It's often the 2nd team who reaps the rewards.

NHL should look at different RFA and waiver rules for young keepers.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Right now hes like jonathon quick if jonathon quick didnt know how to play goalie yet.

potential for greatness, currently a bit of an adventure. The impossible save immediately followed by the backbreaking goal against. Thats vladar

Yeah that second paragraph totally sounds like what Allen was in in STL which makes me happy. I'm excited about this pick! :)

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
I personally wanted to see a Swayman/Vladar tandem. (hell they had to do it for a chunk of last season and they kept them afloat).

Excited about Swayman... but between starting an injured Rask during the playoffs, and signing Ullmark for 4 years... makes you wonder how the brass feels about him. I was expecting a vet backup, but nothing long term like this.

Like any goalie prospect. This could potentially look like a huge steal in the future. Or it could be a blip on the transaction page. Vladar has promise, and has performed in the NHL level, but he's still a question mark. A low risk move by Calgary. Bruins have more at risk, since they just sunk 5M into Ullmark while having a cost controlled goalie tandem.

I'd say the Bruins brass realize if Rask comes back this season it'll be for one last run and can be signed in Feb-March for cheap. He did say it was Bruins or retire so no rush. If Rask comes back it's not a bad situation to have Rask and Ullmark for a playoff run and Swayman able to be sent down without going through waivers. One of the reasons Vladar was traded, he would have been plucked for free in this situation

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Marky's gonna be the starter for a while, despite some people saying he sucks Markstrom was great to start the year, got concussed in the middle and played poorly but was also great to end the year.

Down the line Wolf is probably going to be the future starter but giving him some competition always helps
I think wolf is a great prospect but he is too short to be successful in the NHL. I don’t think he will play much. I truly hope I am wrong. He has the skill

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think wolf is a great prospect but he is too short to be successful in the NHL. I don’t think he will play much. I truly hope I am wrong. He has the skill
Hard to say. He's an inch shorter than Fleury. No question it's a harder job for smaller guys though. But results are results. He was smaller in Junior just like he will be in the pros.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Ya that's fair for a player. I'm glad that they have better asset management then just letting a player rot without reps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad