OT: CFL thread - Toronto v. Hamilton, East Final.

Apr 1, 2010
We have a rich heritage, and ignoring the many revisions that have been made throughout the past few decades, the anthem becomes even more beautiful and pristine. In the late 2000s, some politicians wanted "in all thy sons command" to become "in all of us command." These continual revisions aren't necessary. The anthem was greatest in its original form and should be sung that way. Burton's version at least retains some of the glory of the original anthem.

Yes we do and it is a shame more of us don't know more about it.

Myself included. I could probably give you a more detailed account of ancient Rome or Egypt then I could of the first 100 years of this nation.

I try to learn what I can when I can but we need to change the way history is taught in this country.

And Go to your local War Museum everyone. These people fought and died so we could sit on our Duffs and argue hockey on a computer in peace. It is a great place to start learning about our rich tradition.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
You are correct in your sentiments but I dont understand why the Leafs should be able to provide an inferior product at the most expensive prices in the league and not be impacted negatively while in all other sports thats exactly what happens. I just dont get it. Personally, I only started following the Argos in the Eastern final...great game vs. the Als and another standout performance in the final. Way more entertaining than anything the Leafs have provided since Mats Sundin skated with Gary Roberts and Alex Mogilny. Way more.

Let me try to assist you in trying to understand the difference between a quality entertainment product versus the statistical value of a product.

When New Jersey won the cup; they did not provide a quality entertainment product; by employing the trap. They did win the cup; however.

Quality of product =/= Statistical value

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
Major problem with the Argos is the Dome. I love the Skydome, but 25-26 thousand people in that dome doesn't look like a large crowd. Now in Hamilton, I think their stadium seated about 28,000. They rarely sell out, and yet no one mentions how pathetic their numbers are because of how the stadium is built. We need a stadium that seats way less than 50,000, because in Toronto you aren't going to get 40-50,000 people showing up on a Thursday night to see a CFL game.

Also, the Argos for the past five seasons (outside of this year and a decent showing in 2010) haven't been good at all. A lot of fans left after the disgusting 2008/2009 seasons in which the team went 7-29-0. Argos averaged close to 30,000 fans per reg. season game in 2007, and in 2011 that number went to near 20,000 fans per game. Putting a winning product on the field will attract fans. Hopefully this Grey Cup win will do that.

Apr 1, 2010
Prove it. No one I know in this city likes the Bills.

Funny you say that.

I haven't seen a Bills fan since Flutie played for them.

I know Green Bay Fans, Dallas fans, Lots of PIt and Pats fans (lets hop on the band wagon):sarcasm:

I like the Ravens and the 49ers. I grew up with Montana and Rice so sue me.

But BIlls fans are far and few between.

YEt When it comes to the CFL, I don't know anybody who doesn't cheer for the Argos except a couple of Hamilton fans.

I think if a survey were taken the diversity of NFL fans would make it impossible to out number the number of people in this region who would cheer for the Argos.

BOttom line is Toronto is the home town and Buffalo is not.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
Funny you say that.

I haven't seen a Bills fan since Flutie played for them.

I know Green Bay Fans, Dallas fans, Lots of PIt and Pats fans (lets hop on the band wagon):sarcasm:

I like the Ravens and the 49ers. I grew up with Montana and Rice so sue me.

But BIlls fans are far and few between.

YEt When it comes to the CFL, I don't know anybody who doesn't cheer for the Argos except a couple of Hamilton fans.

I think if a survey were taken the diversity of NFL fans would make it impossible to out number the number of people in this region who would cheer for the Argos.

BOttom line is Toronto is the home town and Buffalo is not.

Agreed! I know lots of Steelers/Patriots fans in Toronto, but they ALSO root for the Argos. Contrary to popular belief, Torontonians have the ability to love the CFL and enjoy an NFL game every now and then :sarcasm:

Apr 1, 2010
Major problem with the Argos is the Dome. I love the Skydome, but 25-26 thousand people in that dome doesn't look like a large crowd. Now in Hamilton, I think their stadium seated about 28,000. They rarely sell out, and yet no one mentions how pathetic their numbers are because of how the stadium is built. We need a stadium that seats way less than 50,000, because in Toronto you aren't going to get 40-50,000 people showing up on a Thursday night to see a CFL game.

Also, the Argos for the past five seasons (outside of this year and a decent showing in 2010) haven't been good at all. A lot of fans left after the disgusting 2008/2009 seasons in which the team went 7-29-0. Argos averaged close to 30,000 fans per reg. season game in 2007, and in 2011 that number went to near 20,000 fans per game. Putting a winning product on the field will attract fans. Hopefully this Grey Cup win will do that.

Was a a Jays game with 20K+ in the stands and it looked sad.

A solid 30K stadium would be nice. Although we did sell the Dome out for the big game. 20K extra tickets must have meant millions of dollars to the Argos and the League.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
Was a a Jays game with 20K+ in the stands and it looked sad.

A solid 30K stadium would be nice. Although we did sell the Dome out for the big game. 20K extra tickets must have meant millions of dollars to the Argos and the League.

Maybe do what the Montreal Alouettes do then. Have regular season games in a smaller facility and then have home playoff games at the large dome (if that's possible).

hockeyfanz*

Let me try to assist you in trying to understand the difference between a quality entertainment product versus the statistical value of a product.

When New Jersey won the cup; they did not provide a quality entertainment product; by employing the trap. They did win the cup; however.

Quality of product =/= Statistical value

haahaha...condescending and comical...so you are saying that the NJ Devils cup wins was not entertaining but the Leafs horrific seasons in the last decade or so were? Yeah okay...no bias or BS in your sentiments. But thanks for "explaining" your wonderful formula to me. I feel so much more enlightened.

RogerRoeper*

Vaswani wrote an article on how toronto was 'disrespectful' towards the Biebs. Couldn't stop laughing.

Ridiculous. He was clearly the wrong performer for that demographic.

In fact, I watched Conan O'Brien recently and as soon as Conan mentioned Bieber's name, the entire audience booed the saying of his name.

Outside of teen girls, he is not respected and liked very much at all.

Apr 1, 2010
Ridiculous. He was clearly the wrong performer for that demographic.

In fact, I watched Conan O'Brien recently and as soon as Conan mentioned Bieber's name, the entire audience booed the saying of his name.

Outside of teen girls, he is not respected and liked very much at all.

I don't know how people can ***** about the CFL getting the biggest names in entertainment to do the half time show. I work with a lady who doesn't give a fiddlers **** about sports but she tuned into see the show.

Bottom line is the CFL put together ANOTHER lineup that the NFL would love to steal for the Superbowl.

Cry all you want but the only singer who has recently had a bigger hit than Beiber and Carly Rae is PSY.

The CFL exposed itself to a different demographic with the show. The half time show is mainly for the TV audience anyway. Most of the fans at the stadium are hitting the can and getting a refill.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I don't know how people can ***** about the CFL getting the biggest names in entertainment to do the half time show. I work with a lady who doesn't give a fiddlers **** about sports but she tuned into see the show.

Bottom line is the CFL put together ANOTHER lineup that the NFL would love to steal for the Superbowl.

Cry all you want but the only singer who has recently had a bigger hit than Beiber and Carly Rae is PSY.

The CFL exposed itself to a different demographic with the show. The half time show is mainly for the TV audience anyway. Most of the fans at the stadium are hitting the can and getting a refill.

Yeah,I'm sure the NFL is screaming with envy about the CFL halftime show.....I guess getting 106 million viewers for the latest Super Bowl isn't cutting it.

RogerRoeper*

I was just pointing out why he got booed. His act won't work well with football fans.

In fact, notice how the majority of acts for the Superbowl halftime show are older, more establish acts that appeal to football fans? (Madonna, The Who, Springsteen, ETC).

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah,I'm sure the NFL is screaming with envy about the CFL halftime show.....I guess getting 106 million viewers for the latest Super Bowl isn't cutting it.

Are you talknig abou the Black Eyed PeasSuperbowl show, where they copied the CFL?

Or are you talking about the NickleBack Thanksgiving show, where they copied the CFL?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
I was just pointing out why he got booed. His act won't work well with football fans.

In fact, notice how the majority of acts for the Superbowl halftime show are older, more establish acts that appeal to football fans? (Madonna, The Who, Springsteen, ETC).

Madonna had Nikki MInaj and MIA. Other acts included LMFAO and Cee Lo Green.

2012 was BEP, Usher and Slash.

Their going younger.

2013 line up:Beyoncé, Jay-Z, PSY, Kanye West

Going old has gotten old.

Can't wait to see them Gangnam style it up in Louisiana.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This just my opinion but when people who don't live in Toronto look at attendance they see the ACC sold out for Leaf games and assume well they should be selling out Argos games and Jays games and Raptors games.

As everyone knows the Leafs are everything in this city, they obviously don't have to be good to sell out. When you look at the rest of our sports teams...we have been crap for so long that IMO affected the way Torontonians look at sports. No longer is it a way to go and enjoy yourself, there's a huge negative cloud over all our teams.

Although the Argos have won our last 2 championships, you just aren't going to get 50,000 people going to a regular season game. No team in Canada does that, not even the Riders.

But back to my point, the sporting scene in Toronto has taken such a bad turn and the fans have taken such a beating that it has affected attendance numbers. All we ask is for a decent product and most of the time we don't. With the Argos Grey Cup win, and the huge trade by the Jays...with ownership showing the fan base that it will spend money, this should be a turning point for our city.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Ya, anybody complaining about how the half time show didn't "suit" the Grey Cup doesn't understand the purpose of a half time show.

I may think Beiber is nonsense, but he is the biggest pop-star on the planet, and he played the Grey Cup half time show. That is a massive "get" for the league.

hockeyfanz*

Madonna had Nikki MInaj and MIA. Other acts included LMFAO and Cee Lo Green.

2012 was BEP, Usher and Slash.

Their going younger.

2013 line up:Beyoncé, Jay-Z, PSY, Kanye West

Going old has gotten old.

Can't wait to see them Gangnam style it up in Louisiana.

That 2013 lineup is awful. Rap. Pop and some Korean dude with one of the most annoying songs of the decade. Makes Carly Rae, Biebs, Marianna Trench and Lightfoot look pretty good IMO.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
That 2013 lineup is awful. Rap. Pop and some Korean dude with one of the most annoying songs of the decade. Makes Carly Rae, Biebs, Marianna Trench and Lightfoot look pretty good IMO.

I'm the furthest you could be from a fan of rap/pop but outside of Lightfoot, that Super Bowl lineup is wayyyyyy better. Carly Rae, Biebs and Mariana's Trench all have some of the most idiotic lyrics.

Whereas PSY's song is a pretty neat satire of life in that one district of Seoul, and even I can appreciate that Beyonce, Jay-Z and Kanye have more artistic talent (not really the type of art I like but oh well) than Carly Rae, Justin Bieber and Mariana's Trench.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
This just my opinion but when people who don't live in Toronto look at attendance they see the ACC sold out for Leaf games and assume well they should be selling out Argos games and Jays games and Raptors games.

As everyone knows the Leafs are everything in this city, they obviously don't have to be good to sell out. When you look at the rest of our sports teams...we have been crap for so long that IMO affected the way Torontonians look at sports. No longer is it a way to go and enjoy yourself, there's a huge negative cloud over all our teams.

Although the Argos have won our last 2 championships, you just aren't going to get 50,000 people going to a regular season game. No team in Canada does that, not even the Riders.

But back to my point, the sporting scene in Toronto has taken such a bad turn and the fans have taken such a beating that it has affected attendance numbers. All we ask is for a decent product and most of the time we don't. With the Argos Grey Cup win, and the huge trade by the Jays...with ownership showing the fan base that it will spend money, this should be a turning point for our city.

The Rock?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

You may not enjoy their music, but they are the biggest of the big in the respective genres. They draw crowds and people will tune in.

I am a fan of all music, my playlists are unlike anything you will ever see, completely random hard rock, indie, rap, reggae, pop, hip hop, country etc), with an open mind you can like anything. Sadly very few people are capable of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad