OT: CFL: Ottawa Redblacks

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
..and he seems to take NO responsibility.

On-field product matters the most, and you assembled a terrible 2019 team, followed up by an even-worse 2021 team. All while trading the 1st overall pick for a QB who never played for us.

Did you hear his interview on TSN 1200?

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
..and he seems to take NO responsibility.

On-field product matters the most, and you assembled a terrible 2019 team, followed up by an even-worse 2021 team. All while trading the 1st overall pick for a QB who never played for us.

Yup, he blamed this on OSEG being swayed by public opinion. Like Marcel have you watched your team play this year?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
It’s a big deal who they can get to replace him. They need recruiting connections badly. Tom Gambel? TiCats Allemang?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In the first 3 yrs of their existance they went from the worse team in the CFL to a Grey Cup Championship under Marcel Desjardins & I'm not a Redblack fan, but a STH. And now when they are going through tough times trying to rebuild this team the fans have called for his head & saying what a terrible GM he is. I'm no expert, but IMO he had a pretty good run here & brought the team back to respectability, but because of Covid & other issues he hasn't been able to regain that success.

IMO at the heart of every good CFL team is how many good Canadian players you have on the roster who are difference makers. When you are a crappy team you usually end up drafting quite high which allows you to stock the cupboard with good Canadian players. However, when you are a good team & draft late in the draft the players left are not as good & therefore it requires trades to acquire good Canadian players which are at a premium that other teams are reluctant to give up. And what every team needs the most is good Canadian linemen, one good possession reciever (Sinopoli) & good special team personnel.

Eventually if you haven't been able to draft or acquire good Canadian talent & the American talent you have is not extrodinary than you end up with a crappy team. The #1 need of every CFL team is a good running QB with a strong arm who can get the ball to the sidelines quickly or down the field deep. Ottawa has struggled at the QB spot since Burris left IMO. Harris was good between the hash marks, but didn't have the arm strength to get it down field or to the side lines quickly enough. Should be interesting who they hire & how long it takes him to be successful here.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I’ll always respect GMMD for his first few years as a GM, even keeping the team competitive after Burris retired. Remember, they made a Grey Cup with Harris as QB. All of those years mean something to me.

However, as I stated before, it’s a results-based business, and that’s why OSEG sacked him. The QB is a mess and has been since Trevor Harris left. He put all his chips into recreating some Winnipeg magic this off-season, and it flat out failed. But the entire team sucks, and it’s no surprise to anyone. We were predicted to be at the bottom.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So nice of the Redblacks to send out 4 free tickets to their season ticket holders, stuff like that & them giving me paper tickets & plastic season ticket card instead of the damn cell phone is why I'll spend my money with them instead of the Sens. They clearly understand customer service & bend over backwards to help their customers while the Sens could care less.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
not much good news this season so this is nice to see, to say the least lol

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Taking a few people to the game this Saturday, thanks again to the Redblacks for sending me more paper tickets so they can all go. Could have spent this money on the Sens, but they are not as co-operative or as nice when it comes to dealing with their customers. And I'm not even a Redblack fan & they know it & have it marked on my file & still bend over backwards to help. :thumbu:

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
not much good news this season so this is nice to see, to say the least lol

Dedmon is so much fun to watch. Thank goodness for him he is 100% worth the price of admission. Have to wonder if he’ll get a shot in the NFL.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Nothing like winning a meaningless game to bump yourself out of the 1st overall pick. So happy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I can't believe how bad the CFL has become. There's usually 1 really good team, 1 pretty good team 2 average teams and the rest suck each season. The only thing that will save the CFL is a merger with the XFL. I heard talk this week that there is an idea of becoming a minor league for the NFL. I was always against it but I can't see how this league will last. How many years have they tried to get a team in Halifax? Expanding into the US could have been a good idea if they would have limited it to boarder cities instead of the southern US.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't believe how bad the CFL has become. There's usually 1 really good team, 1 pretty good team 2 average teams and the rest suck each season. The only thing that will save the CFL is a merger with the XFL. I heard talk this week that there is an idea of becoming a minor league for the NFL. I was always against it but I can't see how this league will last. How many years have they tried to get a team in Halifax? Expanding into the US could have been a good idea if they would have limited it to boarder cities instead of the southern US.

Meh, I can't see a league that would likely create less buzz than the NFL, the NCAA and likely certain high school leagues as well succeeding in the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad