OT: CFL: Ottawa Redblacks

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Completely new team this year basically, and they’re bringing in some quality talent. Excited to see how they’ll do

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
Had to use the search engine to find this thread lol. Surprised no one has posted in here this season. I know the team isn't doing very well this season just like the case was last year but being in the CFL East you're never out of a playoff spot. Anyone been following the team this year?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Had to use the search engine to find this thread lol. Surprised no one has posted in here this season. I know the team isn't doing very well this season just like the case was last year but being in the CFL East you're never out of a playoff spot. Anyone been following the team this year?
CFL is hard to watch

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Its been a tough season. We finally got a valid #1 QB and he gets cheap shotted and misses most of the season. I guess the coach could get some blame, but its not looking like a bunch of players just missing a good coach either.

I was at the last Redblacks-Elks game last week though. No $25 tickets in the southside. But still the games are fun to eat at outside the stadium beforehand and then all the standing room areas in the stadium gives it a great fun atmosphere. People in the crowd all talking to each other and making noise. They do have a lot of commercial breaks and they fill most of them with some sort of game for fans. Not sure if most are more fun or lame but still things happeneing. I think a lot of the fun is because it is outside but its a lot of fun to be at. Even though we were booing the team for their inept performance that day.

But i didnt even see their win yesterday. Dedmon back though.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
98B97B65-1741-4B21-BE7D-E58073F44B98.jpeg

For those that maybe want to bring the wife or do some Yoga on the field themselves at the game.

Pretty cool opportunity

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What a terrible run at home. Aside from never winning, I’m on a several game streak with rain on game days.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have season tickets although I'm not a Redblacks fan, my team is the Tiger-Cats who aren't doing all that much better this yr. The Redblacks have a lot of holes to fill, but the first is removing their offensive co-ordinator who is great at killing momentum & the head coach for keeping him. They have lost a number of leads in games this yr because of shitty conservative play calling. They need to jazz it up a little & be a little more unpredictable in their play calling, more passing & less running, they don't have the offensive lie to run a lot.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I have season tickets although I'm not a Redblacks fan, my team is the Tiger-Cats who aren't doing all that much better this yr. The Redblacks have a lot of holes to fill, but the first is removing their offensive co-ordinator who is great at killing momentum & the head coach for keeping him. They have lost a number of leads in games this yr because of shitty conservative play calling. They need to jazz it up a little & be a little more unpredictable in their play calling, more passing & less running, they don't have the offensive lie to run a lot.

I’m not convinced one guy can fill head coach and offensive coordinator roles at the professional level. LaPo has frequently seemed overwhelmed with both roles.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m not convinced one guy can fill head coach and offensive coordinator roles at the professional level. LaPo has frequently seemed overwhelmed with both roles.
Tough to fire the HC when he is also the OC. Smart job security move right there.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tough to fire the HC when he is also the OC. Smart job security move right there.
This has been prompted on many CFL teams by the "management salary cap" the league brought in a few years ago. The players complained, not without merit, that while they have a punitively low cap there was no cap on the number of coaches and front office people, their salaries, etc. (Saskatchewan, because they are swimming in money, were the worst offenders.) Now that there is a cap on coaching $$$, some teams economize by having the head coach also be a coordinator.

The job security you mention goes even deeper - the salaries of fired coaches also count against the cap, so you can't afford to be paying multiple fired coaches in this league either. All of this to say that LaPolice gets to stay to the end of the year regardless of how badly it goes on the field. IIRC, I think he has one more year to go, so if the REDBLACKS have a dead cat bounce at the end of the year I bet he is back in 2023 also...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Two wins in a row. Tonight was the Nick Arbuckle to Jaelon Acklin show. Nice to see them not running every 1st down. Coach looked better. Tied with the tabbies now and have a chance at the playoffs

Reactions: Larionov and cudi

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Two wins in a row. Tonight was the Nick Arbuckle to Jaelon Acklin show. Nice to see them not running every 1st down. Coach looked better. Tied with the tabbies now and have a chance at the playoffs
Had they started Arbuckle in that first game against Edmonton at home, it's probably three wins in a row. LaPolice's stubborn insistence on sticking with Evans for too long may end up costing this team a playoff spot if we end up one game out...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Acklin is definitely legit. Great pick up.

Reactions: Larionov

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It just came to me, the CFL has no stars. Growing up as a kid teams had their guys fans could latch on to. I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Can anyone tell me without a shadow of a doubt who is the best Quarterback, Running back, Wide Receiver, best defensive player are in the league? There seem to be absolutely no marketing campaigns around an players these days.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It just came to me, the CFL has no stars. Growing up as a kid teams had their guys fans could latch on to. I'm not sure that is the case anymore. Can anyone tell me without a shadow of a doubt who is the best Quarterback, Running back, Wide Receiver, best defensive player are in the league? There seem to be absolutely no marketing campaigns around an players these days.
I'd argue that Winnipeg has a bit of this going on right now with Collaros at QB, star defensive players like Willie Jefferson and Adam Bighill, etc. Overall, though, you make a fair point. One of the biggest problems the CFL faces is just the heavy magnetic pull of the NFL - the NFL has expanded their practice rosters big time in the last few years (10 players to 16) and as a result guys would rather be on an NFL practice roster than playing in the CFL. The relative lack of money in this league means that guys are willing to switch teams for an extra 10k a year during free agency. It's definitely an issue. One way the owners wanted to address it was to allow American players to be declared as Canadians if they stayed three years with one team, but the Canadian born players always fight that one...

Reactions: stigs17 and Bileur

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'd argue that Winnipeg has a bit of this going on right now with Collaros at QB, star defensive players like Willie Jefferson and Adam Bighill, etc. Overall, though, you make a fair point. One of the biggest problems the CFL faces is just the heavy magnetic pull of the NFL - the NFL has expanded their practice rosters big time in the last few years (10 players to 16) and as a result guys would rather be on an NFL practice roster than playing in the CFL. The relative lack of money in this league means that guys are willing to switch teams for an extra 10k a year during free agency. It's definitely an issue. One way the owners wanted to address it was to allow American players to be declared as Canadians if they stayed three years with one team, but the Canadian born players always fight that one...
Each season the top 1 or 2 teams have the Star player. Collaros has been in the league 11 season and has only had 3 good seasons to date. He does have 3 Grey Cups but was the back up on 2 of them. With the XFL coming it will be the death of the CFL if they don't merge. When Ottawa got the Redblacks I was fully on board, having committed to the renegades and grew up a Rough Riders fan. At no point has the talent pool been so terrible. They need to get rid of the Canadian rule, start the seasons 2 weeks earlier because Snow bowls actually suck to determine a champion, and expand to the Maritimes/Quebec City.

Reactions: stigs17

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It just came to me, the CFL has no stars. Growing up as a kid teams had their guys fans could latch on to. I'm not sure that is the case anymore.
Really good point.
Can anyone tell me without a shadow of a doubt who is the best Quarterback, Running back, Wide Receiver, best defensive player are in the league?
No.
There seem to be absolutely no marketing campaigns around an players these days.
Growing up we had our own stars but we also knew the league stars. There doesn't seem to be any wow factor now.

Too bad that kid, Nathan Rourke from BC got hurt - he was setting records at QB as a Canadian and he still barely got any press.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Really good point.

No.

Growing up we had our own stars but we also knew the league stars. There doesn't seem to be any wow factor now.

Too bad that kid, Nathan Rourke from BC got hurt - he was setting records at QB as a Canadian and he still barely got any press.
Every few seasons players come a go. The worst thing a fan could do is buy a players jersey. I was actually excited when the XFL and CFL where in talks to merge. Covid shut that down though which sucks. The idea of expanding into the US wasn't a bad one it's just they should have focused on slowly expanding to boarderish towns instead of going for a cash grab from larger southern markets. Really short sighted move on the old guard of the CFL.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brought my kid to his first game since the lockdown yesterday.

I thought a RedBlacks home game would be a great way to teach him about facing adversity.

He only heard a few people yelling at LaPolice to f*** off.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I’d love if they could find a way to make the CFL a legitimate feeder league for the NFL. Get all their practice squad players and other players that aren’t quite good enough to make it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad