CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part III: ALLCAPS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
Lawless on TSN is saying it's a 2 horse race between SASK and OTT for Dressler's services.

SASK according to him will offer 200K with Ottawa topping out at 250K.

It will come down to rather he wants the extra money or if he's willing to play for a team where the fans absolutely love him for 50K less (which is a lot of money obviously in the CFL)

Should know within' the next day or two.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Dressler would be nice, but I can't see any way he comes here unless we really blow him away with a big contract.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Would be nice to scoop up WD but i assume he is only here for the rest of the season then trying for the NFL again next year....also even with his addition there are still a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Would be nice to scoop up WD but i assume he is only here for the rest of the season then trying for the NFL again next year....also even with his addition there are still a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball.

I think on D its just our secondary that looks a little weak, seemed we got burnt on some long bombs last week.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Dressler loved Regina and they him. Makes sense to help them with a fit.

We could take say two roster players off them in a trade scenario that would reduce their Cap to the place where they could sign him.

Maybe we get someone in the realm of Taj Smith and Brackenridge to given them relief and add two hitters to our lineup. Build for the future aggressively - Taj can catch and run and Brack covers and tackles. Two really good pieces instead of one great piece.

Just my sense of building for next year.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Mendes was going on today about how some reporter dude from Sask that is apparently very very tight with the Riders GM was saying he believes Sask is out on him.

They were saying that if this guy says it, its likely true.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dressler tried out with the Chiefs. As a KC fan, I can firmly say we have one of the weakest WR groups in the NFL and he didn't really come close to making it. If he can't make it for them under Andy Reid who loves guys like Dressler he's never going to make it. He's 29. This could be a long term solution.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Though Dressler seems like what the doctor ordered for the RedBlacks,I am a bit relieved this didn't go through.

It seems he was headed back to Sask all along. He and his agent did a good job of playing Ottawa and Calgary so now he should be able to wring concessions and a great new contract out of Regina.

I am sure our GM knows he was played and won't bid for Dressler after this years contract, but if the scouts have been doing their work properly, bring in some other promising NFL cuts at receiver but at not such a high cost that would throw the teams pay scale out of whack.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Though Dressler seems like what the doctor ordered for the RedBlacks,I am a bit relieved this didn't go through.

It seems he was headed back to Sask all along. He and his agent did a good job of playing Ottawa and Calgary so now he should be able to wring concessions and a great new contract out of Regina.

I am sure our GM knows he was played and won't bid for Dressler after this years contract, but if the scouts have been doing their work properly, bring in some other promising NFL cuts at receiver but at not such a high cost that would throw the teams pay scale out of whack.

Ottawa is not paying major bucks, and takes out Sask as a potential bidder for anyone else. win-win in that regard

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bidding for Dressler showed the fans in Ottawa that the REDBLACKS were committed to putting a winning team on the field. Another side benefit is that it drove up the price for the Riders, who couldn't get him on a home town discount.

It was curious, though, to see them only sign him to a one year deal. Now, CFL contracts aren't guaranteed anyway, but I wonder which side didn't want to commit long term. Hmmm...

Oct 10, 2010
Bidding for Dressler showed the fans in Ottawa that the REDBLACKS were committed to putting a winning team on the field. Another side benefit is that it drove up the price for the Riders, who couldn't get him on a home town discount.

It was curious, though, to see them only sign him to a one year deal. Now, CFL contracts aren't guaranteed anyway, but I wonder which side didn't want to commit long term. Hmmm...

Ottawa offered more years and money.

Dressler decided to take the 1-year deal @ 200K for now so it could give GM Taman more time to fit him in the long-term.

It was probably like " Dressler, we'll workout a long-term deal , but right now 200K is the most we can do at this time"

Also, apparently Dressler can get that extra 50K off endorsements in Regina.
They are pretty crazy down there as local businesses were offering him free sandwiches for a year, car rentals, etc before he made is decision. Plus, his wife is from Regina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad