OT: CF Montreal thread - Neva Too Late edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hopefully when he’s playing his actual position. It’s beyond obvious he’s in over his head at WB. Hopefully he’s used as a winger sub when Choiniere returns
I'd boot him and Torres off the team. There must be two nobodies in the whole wide world who can play this game better than those two. And I'm starting to lose it with Ibrahim too. At least they sat Torres the last two games.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I'd boot him and Torres off the team. There must be two nobodies in the whole wide world who can play this game better than those two. And I'm starting to lose it with Ibrahim too. At least they sat Torres the last two games.

Ibrahim was alright today. I believe he played his role perfectly
Torres is probably sick/injured
Lassi kept taking the wrong decisions today until like once in the last 10min. Aside from the decisions, I believe he played better without the ball and was often available for through passes. That said, he should have been subbed off at the end. Johnston too. He was lucky not to get a 2nd yellow on 2 occasions: pushing a player + time wasting.

The team looked a bit lost/sleeping. Some new blood would have helped keeping the team steady.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
12k on opening day, ouch.

Seems to be about what people expected, with the long weekend and the non-existent buzz around the team right now. TBH, to my eye it looked a few ks lower than that, I was actually happy to read they got over 12 .

I was actually expecting less than that. I think if the team continues winning and the weather will get better, the place will be more full. At least that's the hope.

But for today's match, I was expecting less than 10K.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I was actually expecting less than that. I think if the team continues winning and the weather will get better, the place will be more full. At least that's the hope.

But for today's match, I was expecting less than 10K.
Not that it was actually GOOD , mind you. It's still way below what they should be doing and it's an issue they will need to address.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Not that it was actually GOOD , mind you. It's still way below what they should be doing and it's an issue they will need to address.

I'm not expecting much. The Ultras being out ironically doesn't help at all. The team isn't much interesting too.. add the potential sale of DJ this summer :help:

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
I'm not expecting much. The Ultras being out ironically doesn't help at all. The team isn't much interesting too.. add the potential sale of DJ this summer :help:
I don’t understand how people can view the team as not interesting. DJ is having an MVP caliber start to season, the team is at the top of the league in GF, we’re only 2 points out of 3rd, we have a few exciting young players including key defenders for the CanMNT that just qualified for the World Cup, and even if it can be frustrating the team always puts on a spectacle lol (crazy endings to games, leading the league in cautions, etc).

It’s kinda frustrating that in this market some people would be happier having a situation like Miami where the team sucks but there are a few stars to root for.

For the DJ sale, it’s going to sting but if we can get a good price (and it’s looking like we will) it’s probably going to be one of the only ways Joey agrees to splurging on some signings since the costs wouldn’t be 100% out of pocket. If they can reinvest that money wisely the team can be in some great shape going forward.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
I don’t understand how people can view the team as not interesting. DJ is having an MVP caliber start to season, the team is at the top of the league in GF, we’re only 2 points out of 3rd, we have a few exciting young players including key defenders for the CanMNT that just qualified for the World Cup, and even if it can be frustrating the team always puts on a spectacle lol (crazy endings to games, leading the league in cautions, etc).

It’s kinda frustrating that in this market some people would be happier having a situation like Miami where the team sucks but there are a few stars to root for.

For the DJ sale, it’s going to sting but if we can get a good price (and it’s looking like we will) it’s probably going to be one of the only ways Joey agrees to splurging on some signings since the costs wouldn’t be 100% out of pocket. If they can reinvest that money wisely the team can be in some great shape going forward.
Why can’t we have a good team AND some stars to root for?

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Why can’t we have a good team AND some stars to root for?

Cause we dont have the means to get a star and have continuity. Piatti was a star and one of the best players in the MLS for a while and still we couldn’t keep asses in seats.

Winning consistently is more important for fans and the club. If we have a solid foundation and then bring in star power, the hype can start building.

We should have done this from the start. Now we’re way behind.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Cause we dont have the means to get a star and have continuity. Piatti was a star and one of the best players in the MLS for a while and still we couldn’t keep asses in seats.

Winning consistently is more important for fans and the club. If we have a solid foundation and then bring in star power, the hype can start building.

We should have done this from the start. Now we’re way behind.

It's all important. Montreal is used to being considered a world class city in a lot of ways even if in some ways we're not (especially now). So in that respect, having a star attraction is needed to get the fans truly involved. However obviously that's not going to happen right now given where the team is at.

We all know the team has been a disaster off the field over the past what, 5-7 years? Coaches, mangers, president, academy, you know name it, it's been bad. On the field we had some lean times for a few years as well.

Now at least it does appear to be headed in the right direction. We've acquired guys, at very little monetary expense, and are no in a position to start selling them to Europe for what's hopefully going to be big money. I'm looking at guys like Djordje, Johnston, Miller, Kone and maybe one or two others.

That should allow them to use that money to bring in a few bigger name stars as DP's. Then hopefully they will continue to do the same thing and get more guys like the above mentioned using those same GAM/TAM ways and keep it going. That's how you build on the field success.

Beyond that though, they need to do more community outreach to get the word out. That's why the new guy was brought in. Beyond the ultras and other groups and that stupidity, they just need to be better at bringing in fans and working with corporate partners as well.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

When this team misses the playoffs for the 6th consecutive season, does Renard get canned too?

Renard should go back to Belgium and sell chocolate.

I've lost major interest in the team probably watched 2 games this season. Not surprised at 12k soon it will reach 8k. Boring games, dull players, And why didn't he release Johnsen is beyond me. I stick by my prediction that he won't play a single minute.

Overpaid for Johnston who's nothing than decent while a lot had raging boners when he came. TBH, Raheem Edwards can take his spot for wingbacks at the Wc.

Even Nancy is starting to get annoying with his weird answers in interviews, talking in circles, over the top replies.

The only bright side is Mihailovic, Kone, Miller. Problem is none of them will be here in 2023. Wanyama and Quioto are cool too. You can release everyone else.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
It's all important. Montreal is used to being considered a world class city in a lot of ways even if in some ways we're not (especially now). So in that respect, having a star attraction is needed to get the fans truly involved. However obviously that's not going to happen right now given where the team is at.

We all know the team has been a disaster off the field over the past what, 5-7 years? Coaches, mangers, president, academy, you know name it, it's been bad. On the field we had some lean times for a few years as well.

Now at least it does appear to be headed in the right direction. We've acquired guys, at very little monetary expense, and are no in a position to start selling them to Europe for what's hopefully going to be big money. I'm looking at guys like Djordje, Johnston, Miller, Kone and maybe one or two others.

That should allow them to use that money to bring in a few bigger name stars as DP's. Then hopefully they will continue to do the same thing and get more guys like the above mentioned using those same GAM/TAM ways and keep it going. That's how you build on the field success.

Beyond that though, they need to do more community outreach to get the word out. That's why the new guy was brought in. Beyond the ultras and other groups and that stupidity, they just need to be better at bringing in fans and working with corporate partners as well.

The choice is very simple. You get a star player and get attendance. Or you don't get a star player and stop whining about not having enough fans. The casuals could care less of Quioto or Alistair Johnston. You get Dries Mertens, Arturo Vidal, you get constant attendance.

They have the money, they just choose to not spend it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Mihailovic may very well be sold fairly cheap to Bologna though, so we might not actually make a ton of money with him. It's probably the price to pay to keep him in montreal all of this season .

Reactions: JtotheC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad