OT: CF Montreal Thread - Civics, welcome to HFCFM Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Team needs a no.9. Toye is our best one but the amount of missed chances is what’s hurting us since few games now.

Today Wanyama and Sejdic were not very good. Miller was having a decent game until the penalty. He also missed his man on the 2nd goal. I thought Kizza was off today as well. He always looks for the cross although we have no body to head the ball. Mihailovic also had his worst game with us. Didn’t create much.

Team is really deep which is nice to see. Torres and Hamdi really good players. Was pleasantly surprised with Choiniere’s performance as well.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
58swzz.jpg

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Missing Toye hurt. Johnsen has been a major disappointment every single minute I've seen him play. Sedjic unfortunately is not showing what he showed towards the end of last year. My worry before the start of the season was that we lacked depth on the right side behind ZBG. People said we have Bahiya and Bassong. Nothing they've shown so far (I'm including the u23 games as well though I know Bassong was playing out of position) has relieved any of that concern. The more the team gels, the better we will become.

I will say that tactically speaking, I'm starting to not like this 5-3-2 or 3-4-1-2 depending on how you view it with Kizza and ZBG/Bahiya/whoever. I don't know what the best one would be given we have those defensive midfielders in Wanyama and *gag* Piette *gag*, but we need to be able to bring more midfielders up in the final 3rd as once again, CFMTL is just getting constantly outnumbered and it is difficult to generate plays. Maybe you put Wanyama or Piette in a truly defensive position and have a 4-1-3-2 or a straight 4-3-3. I dunno.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Now you're starting to see Renard's great work. Johnsen and Mihailovic were horrendous. Johnsen is Montreal's Terrence Boyd. He will play 10 games then transfered back to Europe or waived and we will get a high quality CF.

Never ever rely on a journeyman to be your goalscorer. Mihalivic at LW. Sejdic played much better than him today.

And this is just Vancouver... dajome is always whipping Mtl's behind

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Is Giroud's contract still expiry in July?

I would sign him, or Cavani or Aguero... or even Benteke
We're not getting DPs in the summer I don't think. We need Struna/Camacho off the books because one of them is occupying a DP slot. I think it's Struna. In one of the Q and As with Renard he said our 3 DPs at the moment are Wanyama Mihailovic and Struna, but I'm not sure how much of that can be fixed with creative MLS/GAM/TAM accounting.

We'd probably get TAM level players.

In any case I wouldn't write Johnsen off just yet. Was his first start and he played better in the second half once he stopped trying to take every half chance on his own.

If we're continuing to struggle to score I'd rather switch to a 4-3-3 first and utilize some of the offensive assets that are sitting on the bench in a 5-3-2.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Honestly we were the better team, but I think there are still some improvements we can make.

Sejdic isn’t an MLS quality starter. He moves the ball much to slowly to make a difference on offense and isn’t particularly impactful on D.

I’ve been happy with most of Nancy’s changes but this game was a bit strange. We were playing great. The 3 man sub wasnt needed that early and taking off both Quioto and Mihailovic is an odd choice when you’re down. I get that we score by committee but I’d always prefer to have our best players on the field regardless of bench depth.

Bahiya is also a huge downgrade from ZBG. Not sure he’s the solution there.

All in all we were due for a loss and dropping points against the west isn’t the end of the world, but the game could have been managed better.

Keep in mind the team is playing Wednesday and next Saturday too, so they're managing the minutes.

Reactions: Michelangelo

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I guess it's all part of a greater '' let's make everything super bland and corporate'' strategy.

I can't find it but when the rumors first started coming out about the Impact's name change, I believe it was Moe Khan that suggested that this was being driven mainly by MLS and that they were going to be pushing all or most teams to go to the more generic FC or SC moniker.

Reactions: ArtPeur

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I can't find it but when the rumors first started coming out about the Impact's name change, I believe it was Moe Khan that suggested that this was being driven mainly by MLS and that they were going to be pushing all or most teams to go to the more generic FC or SC moniker.

Radio Canada was early on the scoop too.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I bet they are going to punish the RB, Sounders and LAG very hard

At a certain point if this league goes way too corporate, I'm leaving it for the CPL.

It's surprising that we can't still be called the "Impact" and have CF Montreal as the name. Not the preferred result, but it's far better than having the announcers constantly forget this very bland corporate hackjob of a rebrand.

Honestly the jerseys are so horrendous on the pitch, watching the product from a blurry stream is the only thing that is keeping me interested.

Missing Toye hurt. Johnsen has been a major disappointment every single minute I've seen him play. Sedjic unfortunately is not showing what he showed towards the end of last year.

I agree on both points. Though I'm willing to giving Sedjic a bit more time to see if the magic is still there.

It's honestly shocking that we haven't learned from past mistakes. Old/Wandering Euro forwards don't work in the MLS, invest in young Central/Southern American footballers who are wanting a decent platform to showcase for Europe while raising their quality of living.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
This is pathetic. Part of the uniqueness of MLS was the names.
It's probably a single entity thing. Maybe they got together and decided that these types of names are devaluing the rest of the league if they look amateurish or whatever.

It is dumb though. Some teams need/ed rebrands, some don't. It should be up to the team. .

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
At a certain point if this league goes way too corporate, I'm leaving it for the CPL.

It's surprising that we can't still be called the "Impact" and have CF Montreal as the name. Not the preferred result, but it's far better than having the announcers constantly forget this very bland corporate hackjob of a rebrand.

Honestly the jerseys are so horrendous on the pitch, watching the product from a blurry stream is the only thing that is keeping me interested.
CPL is no better tbh. It's the same type of league structure, still salary capped, still a complete lack of transparency and you're getting a worse on pitch product.

I still watch it because I love soccer, but the CPL isn't really any better than MLS when it comes to how it handles the clubs aside from the traditional NA-style team names.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
CPL is no better tbh. It's the same type of league structure, still salary capped, still a complete lack of transparency and you're getting a worse on pitch product.

I still watch it because I love soccer, but the CPL isn't really any better than MLS when it comes to how it handles the clubs aside from the traditional NA-style team names.

I agree that no league or club is perfect, but there are those who strive/or better yet, do better in the corporate side of things while keeping a club to its roots.

A bad case of that is Manchester United, while a good case of that is Bayern Munich.

I'm a fan of Atletico, and as long as they keep investing in Ottawa Soccer while supporting the fans--I'm happy. As soon as that relationship flips, and it's all about reaping a profit, point me to something else.

Reactions: QuebecPride

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
If Lille wins their next game against St Etienne, they'll be champs as PSG failed to win yesterday. Impressive for Jo David as heweas clutch from the second half of the season onwards.

In Turkey, Besiktas despite losing 3-1 to Gala are set tobe champions. Cyle Larin scored 19 goals (could very weell score 20 with 2 games left) and is the 2nd best scorer of the league. What's impressive is he played most of this season as a winger.

Moral of the story, both players should be on the leave this summer to bigger clubs/leagues. Why not join Jesse Marsch at Leipzig? Timo Werner has yet to be replaced.

Speaking of departures, we should take a serious look at signing Germain, Everton are also interested. He is a top 10 earner in L1 atm so he would be a designated player should he keep the around the same salary.

Lets keep it real Johnson is a mismatch with this team

Reactions: Rumcajs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad