Proposal: Cernak Offer Sheet - Ottawa

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
How do you propose they fit the cap then champ? TJ just went through waivers w/out gettng claimed, and I'll give Granlund or Hoffman a contract way before a give anything for Killorn or Palat

Palat killorn TJ or another way champ.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It'd cost a 1st minimum for any of Palat and Killorn to get rid of their contract, even more for TJ.

Good luck.

Absurd take.

Killorn and Palat are very good players - they are solid middle 6 guys on contending teams and probably top 6 guys on a lot of clubs. Killorn is 31 and signed for $4.45 for 3 more years - a perfectly fine contract for a veteran forward who just scored 26 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Palat is still only 29 and while his contract AAV is pretty high at $5.3 million, he's only got two years left...so this season plus one more. He's extremely versatile and sound defensively and his 41 points in 69 games is solid production but more importantly he's coming off a Stanley Cuyp playoff run with 11 goals in 25 games and has 32 goals and 60 points in 92 playoff games.

These are players Tampa wouldn't even consider moving unless it was a cap crunch - frankly if you are trying to win playoff games in crunch time - I'd take both over the likes of Hoffman and Granlund. Tampa isn't going to attach first rounders to "get rid of them" and if they did, they'd have been dealt long ago because teams would be lining up to get both a really good player and a 1st round pick for nothing.

Neither will net the Bolts what they might in an ordinary situation and the Lightning may face the painful prospect of seeing key pieces like them dealt for pennies on the dollar (see Schmidt, Nate) but these are far, far from net negative players and contracts, even in a COVID season.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Cernak is definitely not worth more than a 2nd at this stage in his career.

That being said, Tampa shouldn’t trade him. He definitely has room to become better.

He's not worth substantially more but washed up pending UFA vets fetch 2nds at the deadline. A 23 old 4/5D with upside for more and signed at reasonable price is worth more than that. I think TB would much prefer to attach Cernak to one of the guys they want to dump instead, maybe have to add another sweetner in addition to get someone to bite but cap space is the only commodity they really want atp.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He's not worth substantially more but washed up pending UFA vets fetch 2nds at the deadline. A 23 old 4/5D with upside for more and signed at reasonable price is worth more than that. I think TB would much prefer to attach Cernak to one of the guys they want to dump instead, maybe have to add another sweetner in addition to get someone to bite but cap space is the only commodity they really want atp.
LOL what a terrible take.

EDIT: I Read this like an idiot. I deserve the flaming.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So you think he is worth as much as Krug, Girard, Andersson and more than Sergachev in terms of salary? I think he will get close to what Ryan Graves got from a normal team but less than 3 in a no state tax team like Tampa.

If a contract that's $4,363,095 per year for however many years he is willing up to 5 comes his way he will probably take it and that's only 2nd round pick compensation.

If a team is willing to do that they will probably try to work something out with Tampa before submitting a OS to potentially sign him cheaper than the OS would be since he would be their RFA.
I do not, the term blow away was chosen with purposeful intent

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Cernek will almost certainly remain in Tampa. The Lightning Identify and develop forwards as well as anyone. Not so much with defenseman.

Compound that with a shortage on the right side and Cernek is a must keep. Cirelli foes before Cernek IMO......if one must go.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
For the 12th time..HOW and WHERE is flexibility coming from? Team full of NMCs...couldnt even give away TJ.

So HOW are they making space and theyre already $2-3m over iirc

You need to calm down.

The Lightning will have cap flexibility after this year as some players contracts end and some players have their NMC moved. With no major contracts needing to be signed there will be money for Cernak....that is how

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Absurd take.

Killorn and Palat are very good players - they are solid middle 6 guys on contending teams and probably top 6 guys on a lot of clubs. Killorn is 31 and signed for $4.45 for 3 more years - a perfectly fine contract for a veteran forward who just scored 26 goals and 49 points in 68 games. Palat is still only 29 and while his contract AAV is pretty high at $5.3 million, he's only got two years left...so this season plus one more. He's extremely versatile and sound defensively and his 41 points in 69 games is solid production but more importantly he's coming off a Stanley Cuyp playoff run with 11 goals in 25 games and has 32 goals and 60 points in 92 playoff games.

These are players Tampa wouldn't even consider moving unless it was a cap crunch - frankly if you are trying to win playoff games in crunch time - I'd take both over the likes of Hoffman and Granlund. Tampa isn't going to attach first rounders to "get rid of them" and if they did, they'd have been dealt long ago because teams would be lining up to get both a really good player and a 1st round pick for nothing.

Neither will net the Bolts what they might in an ordinary situation and the Lightning may face the painful prospect of seeing key pieces like them dealt for pennies on the dollar (see Schmidt, Nate) but these are far, far from net negative players and contracts, even in a COVID season.
Yes, you definitely wouldn't have to pay us anything in Nashville to send Killorn or Palat our way. We have openings, roster and cap, just sitting there for them.

Now, there's still a reasonable question about just how much we'd actually give up for them. Nothing at the moment while everybody waits to see if there is even going to be a season. And then after that some bean counting will ensue to determine how much money will be lost, and in that context taking on additional payroll may still not make sense in the final budgetary analysis. But aside from any such determination, they clearly are positive value assets to our team.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
You need to calm down.

The Lightning will have cap flexibility after this year as some players contracts end and some players have their NMC moved. With no major contracts needing to be signed there will be money for Cernak....that is how

Again, TBL are the champs but theyre already over cap by $2-3m without Cirelli or Cernak. TBL likely have to part w/ Cernak but I guess we'll see.

An offer letter would work for both players.

TBL will be fine tho. Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevsky, and Stammer locked up. Plus...they JUST won the CUP. Gonna be fine but this offseason likely wont end a happy one.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Again, TBL are the champs but theyre already over cap by $2-3m without Cirelli or Cernak. TBL likely have to part w/ Cernak but I guess we'll see.

An offer letter would work for both players.

TBL will be fine tho. Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevsky, and Stammer locked up. Plus...they JUST won the CUP. Gonna be fine but this offseason likely wont end a happy one.

Until an offer sheet happens, they can deal Cirelli and Cernak if necessary. Being over the cap is concerning, but unless every team in the league is hell bent on hurting the Lightning even at their own loss, someone will take on salary if we pay enough in assets.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Pretty terrible...I think Palat is moveable, less sure on Killorn given age and extra contract commit.

OH, I am sure there will be teams ready to take them off their hands....but not so many as you think

There are just too many teams at the cap or over (aka Canucks), so the list is small

IMO, and many others, obviously, they will haev to move 2X$5.million to sign their remaining players

Unless, they are Schmidt type deals....they will not be taken.........that is if they agree to the trades, in the first place.

Also, with Johnson having 4 years, and a very risky declining skill level...IMO, he is not going anywhere

So, it is either trading Cirelli, who I think will cost more than Cernak, and one of Palat, Gourde or Killorn

or its 2 of them, if they sign both Cernak and Cirelli.

IF Stamkos goes on LTIR, I am not sure, it helps them, unless they are not signed until after the league starts?

But I am not sure that help them.......

It will be totally interesting.........

But I do not think any GM is going to give Tampa a break, without alot of futures. ALOT!

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Until an offer sheet happens, they can deal Cirelli and Cernak if necessary. Being over the cap is concerning, but unless every team in the league is hell bent on hurting the Lightning even at their own loss, someone will take on salary if we pay enough in assets.

I think you looking at the cap situation this year as a normal year is the issue.

I don't think every team is "hell bent on hurting the Lightning". Teams have internal caps that don't normally exist, teams planned for rising caps and now have to navigate flat caps for the next couple years.
I don't think teams are lining up to take on contracts with the uncertainty of when the cap will rise and uncertainty of their finances, not every team is owned by people willing to lose money to put out a contender.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think teams are lining up to take on contracts with the uncertainty of when the cap will rise and uncertainty of their finances, not every team is owned by people willing to lose money to put out a contender.

not only that, the teams that have cap room, won’t be contenders, even if they added a piece or two that Tampa might choose to move for cap reasons. For these teams to take on cap, for years is t going to very desirable, without significant incentive. It’s a weird year for sure.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Leave the cup champs who paired you with a Norris contender just to sign a 2 year deal and leave to a bottom dweller? Yes, you’d better blow Cernak away with AAV if you aren’t willing to offer him term. Even then I think he wouldn’t sign but wait for the Lightning to get cap flexibility
The lightning will never get cap flexibility if they don't lose a significant piece or two.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

There is simply not that much cap space going on around the league and among the few teams with cap space, only Nashville would be a place someone with a NMC would waive for. So you don't need the league to be hell bent on hurting Tampa, you just need that one team to bend you over and take advantage of their strong position.
And keep in mind that Tampa isn't even the only team looking to dump salary.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With it looking like games will start around January 13th, the clock is now ticking, for Tampa to get some deals done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad