Central Division Predictions

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Playoff games aren't relative to regular season standings...
Statsny only played 19 games
Jets were competing for first well before statsny was on the team

So again, what does statsny playing in vegas have to do with the central division
It's not like he joined the blues or the wild

From your comments that were bolded in your battle with Sip:

Jets placed 2nd and lost armia and enstrom...

No Statsny ??

Statsny's input was significant in the time he was here and that especially includes those 17 playoff games in which you considered not relative.

So, yes he suited up for 36 games total for the Jets.

He was very instrumental in the team's playoff success, especially against Nashville and helped this team to the WCF.

Laine and Ehlers, I believe learned a bit under Statsny. In some of the televised games, you would see him talking it up with our two young stars. You must have missed that.

He brought playoff experience and he brought additional leadership.

The team had and will survive in the Central and I have faith in a similar result for the upcoming year.

It's a shame that he moved on, but this is the business side of hockey. He will probably be the only Knight I won't be booing thanks to his contribution in the 2018 playoffs.

By the way, Statsny still says hi from Vegas .....

Reactions: Shaibu and sipowicz

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
From your comments that were bolded in your battle with Sip:

Jets placed 2nd and lost armia and enstrom...

No Statsny ??

Statsny's input was significant in the time he was here and that especially includes those 17 playoff games in which you considered not relative.

So, yes he suited up for 36 games total for the Jets.

He was very instrumental in the team's playoff success, especially against Nashville and helped this team to the WCF.

Laine and Ehlers, I believe learned a bit under Statsny. In some of the televised games, you would see him talking it up with our two young stars. You must have missed that.

He brought playoff experience and he brought additional leadership.

The team had and will survive in the Central and I have faith in a similar result for the upcoming year.

It's a shame that he moved on, but this is the business side of hockey. He will probably be the only Knight I won't be booing thanks to his contribution in the 2018 playoffs.

By the way, Statsny still says hi from Vegas .....

????
Statsny played 19 games in the regular seaosn which is the topic of discussion

Did a central team get as stacked as the jets with statsny laat year? Becsuse i dont know wtf that is supposed to mean "statsny says hi from vegas"
Statsny playing gor vegas has nothing to do with the jets or the central division
Jets were in 1st place before statsny was on the team...
So jetsbeing in 1st place before statsny got traded to the jets says hi

And as i said before. Enstrom was let go for a reason and as much as i liked armia he's replaceable

Like i said, they didnt really get worse...
They're a very similar team with the young players having another season under their belt

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
1. Nashville
2. Winnipeg
3. St Louis
4. Dallas
5. Colorado
6. Minnesota
7. Chicago

I like what STL did this off-season and they have some talented youth coming. Only issue for me for them is that I'm just not sold on Allen in net. Dallas and COL can flip flop for me but think this is where it sits same with WPG STL. Minnesota and Chicago sitting at the bottom of the central for me.

Pacific I've got:

1. ANH
2. SJS
3. CGY
4. LVK
5. LAK
6. EDM
7. VAN
8. ARZ

with a 4-4 split from each division making it

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
We lost Stastny (#2C). We lost Mason (#2G). We don’t have a backup goalie at all, that worries me. We are one injury or bad season from Helle away from not making it.

Several other teams got stronger. The delta can be very large.

And last year we didn't have a starting goalie, until...suddenly...WE DID! Because the GM and coaches know more about these things than anyone posting here does. Saying we don't have a backup goalie because we aren't familiar with our backup goalie, or that he hasn't yet had whatever you erroneously believe to be the requisite experience is akin to saying that it won't rain tomorrow because it didn't rain yesterday.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
????
Statsny played 19 games in the regular seaosn which is the topic of discussion

Did a central team get as stacked as the jets with statsny laat year? Becsuse i dont know wtf that is supposed to mean "statsny says hi from vegas"
Statsny playing gor vegas has nothing to do with the jets or the central division
Jets were in 1st place before statsny was on the team...
So jetsbeing in 1st place before statsny got traded to the jets says hi

And as i said before. Enstrom was let go for a reason and as much as i liked armia he's replaceable

Like i said, they didnt really get worse...
They're a very similar team with the young players having another season under their belt

!!!!!

I guess you don't understand your original posting previous sent with Sip's response.

Maybe read all your posts first and you'll see why Statsny is being mentioned in addition to Enstrom and Armia.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We're doing the Pacific too?

1. Sharks
2. Oilers
3. Knights
4. Flames
5. Kings
6. Yotes
7. Ducks
8. Canucks

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
!!!!!

I guess you don't understand your original posting previous sent with Sip's response.

Maybe read all your posts first and you'll see why Statsny is being mentioned in addition to Enstrom and Armia.

And i've already explained it...
Statsny played 19 games
Enstrom has clearly regressed
Armia is a loss, but can be replaced with jets depth

What am i missing?

If youre reason for the wild to be better because jets lost those players you clearly werent following the jets and hockey last year
Again jets competing for first without statsny says hi

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
if hellebuyck gets injured we our 5th or worse.

Because Chevy will sit on his hands and do absolutely nothing, right? I love how you continue to harp about our backup situation but fail to realize that if Helle was injured long term we we will just trade for a good 1b or solid backup (if needed).

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Because Chevy will sit on his hands and do absolutely nothing, right? I love how you continue to harp about our backup situation but fail to realize that if Helle was injured long term we we will just trade for a good 1b or solid backup (if needed).
unfortunately chevy probably thinks like this too. this guy might not be better then comrie. 1 of these 2 goalies will play about 25 games this year even with no injury to hellebuyck. no other top 10 team would do something so reckless.

Reactions: Tommigun

Jerts

Mar 5, 2015
Winnipeg
Preds (Saros will take over this year)
Jets (If Scheifele doesn't get injured. Center depth is frightening)
Avs (Continued progression from last year. Grubauer in net)
Hawks (Bounce back with Crawford returning)
Blues (Inconsistent goal tending)
Stars (Bad D and inconsistent goal tending)
Wild (Dubnyk will have his first off year and the core gets older, not better)

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
unfortunately chevy probably thinks like this too. this guy might not be better then comrie. 1 of these 2 goalies will play about 25 games this year even with no injury to hellebuyck. no other top 10 team would do something so reckless.
It is hardly reckless. You have Comrie and Brossoit fight for a backup role in camp. Allows for internal competition. If neither are capable you pick off one of the dozen or so goalies with NHL experience looking for work as rosters get cut down at the end of camp. Filling a backup goalie position is relatively easy thing to do as there are more goalies available than NHL jobs and you can't hide them on your roster. It is very likely our #2 and #3 goalies from last season will both be looking for work as rosters are cut down. Mason is still a UFA with a concussion history and Hutch is #3 on Florida's depth chart.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It is hardly reckless. You have Comrie and Brossoit fight for a backup role in camp. Allows for internal competition. If neither are capable you pick off one of the dozen or so goalies with NHL experience looking for work as rosters get cut down at the end of camp. Filling a backup goalie position is relatively easy thing to do as there are more goalies available than NHL jobs and you can't hide them on your roster. It is very likely our #2 and #3 goalies from last season will both be looking for work as rosters are cut down. Mason is still a UFA with a concussion history and Hutch is #3 on Florida's depth chart.
I think we will be fine. But if need be we will be picking up a vet backup for playoff run as insurance if it doesn't work out first half of year.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Apparently, if you get a rental, your team will get weaker in the offseason when the rental doesn’t resign.

Because, y’know, we won’t be getting anymore rentals later in the year. Seems like good logic to downgrade the Jets projected standings this year. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mathil8

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
We lost Stastny (#2C). We lost Mason (#2G). We don’t have a backup goalie at all, that worries me. We are one injury or bad season from Helle away from not making it.

Several other teams got stronger. The delta can be very large.
We didnt have a backup tender for 90% of last season either.

Stastny was a late add to a team that was already awesome.

We will still be in the same position to hire a gun at the deadline.

The team is not weaker at all for the regular season. That is just not true.

Are we weaker without Stastny ... yes but we played awesome hockey for 2/3 of last year without him.

The sky is not falling. This team has the look of a true contender for a few years to come. Maybe more if Chev continues his good decisions.

Reactions: KingBogo

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Blues fan coming in peace. I would agree with most of you that the Blues will finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. But, I think 5 teams make it from the central again. If Hellebuyck stays playing as well as he did, you guys will be top 2. Don't overrate Nashville. Saros is good, but he's not Rinne and Rinne is getting older. They will finish top 2 again in the division, but my guess is bow out in round 1 or 2 again.

I'd love to somehow see a Jets/Blues WCF.
Blues will be 1st or second
At least 3rd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets - Could as easily be Preds but why would I pick them over Jets?
Preds - See above. Coin toss.
Blues - Need Allen to be better.
Avs - Still need D help.
Wild - Could finish ahead of Avs, or not.
Stars - Too many holes. Not enough depth.
Hawks - still some good players but too much competition in the Central.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Preds - would have beaten us in the playoffs if we didn't have Stastny, which we don't now
Blues - got better this off season
Jets - got worse this off season
Avs - from the Avs down it's pretty much a WAG
Stars
Hawks
Minny - I don't really think they will finish last. But I hate them so I put them here hoping​

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
1. Preds - Bolstered their D even more, Tolvanen may provide extra scoring punch and Saros takes over between the pipes.

2. Jets - Need to stay healthy for this to happen. Lot of depth waiting in the wings beyond center ice. Helle needs to be sharp. Deepest division in the league and any falter in the standings could be bery detrimental, this isn't the Atlantic division, won't be a cakewalk.

3. Avs - MacKinnon continues the one man show but Rantanen and Jost progress well. Makar makes team out of camp and Girard takes another step forwards. Will be dangerous on the PP.

4. Blues - Added O'Reilly and Bozak to bolster C depth, Fabbri healthy, added Perron and Maroon for more winger depth, Defence is still very good. Guys like Kryou and Kostin could surprise out of camp and add more depth. Gritty two-way team with depth and scoring punch. A lot rests on Allen's shoulder with how far they can go.

5. Stars - I see Benn, Seguin and Radulov having a big season. D is weak but Heiskanen could settle things a bit if he makes the team. May not put up a lot of points in first year but he plays a responsible game which is something they need on the backend. A lot of middling prospects who could make the team to bolster the depth but doesn't look great if not. Will likely be a team that goes hard at Karlsson as their window is closing. Will be dangerous if they get him.

6. Wild - Still a solid team but aging and their main prospects look to be a few years away. They alwasy seemd to find a way to finish in playoff spot but this year I don't see it. Dubnyk could hold them in it but if he falters they will drop.

7. Hawks - Such a wild card team. Still a lot of talent there and some young guns like DeBrincat and Schmaltz keeping them afloat. May not be enough this year. For some reason I see them trying to make a big splash at the deadline.

Reactions: ello

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Jets - No significant losses from the game 1 roster last year. (Armia replaced by Roslovic, Enstrom only played 40 games, Mason/Hutch .906 save percentage won't be difficult to replicate. We don't have many back to back games again this season.) Growth of the young guys actually makes us stronger for game 1 this year than game 1 last year. My biggest concern is the Finland games and if travel to Europe negatively impacts the team some.
Preds - Rinne is done. Will take a bit for Saros to take over. They still come 2nd.
Blues - Improved team. Will easily be these 3 from the Central
Avs - Another young team on the rise. Adding Grubauer is a key piece for them.
Wild - A team on the decline as Parise and Suter age. Still make the playoffs as the 5th team from the central.
Hawks - A healthy Crawford helps, but not enough. The dynasty is officially dead.
Stars - Don't think they're a good team. Their D is terrible. They're essentially a one line team and Seguin probably walks in the offseason crippling that one line. Bishop is aging fast, been a few years since he was better than league average and still has lots of term on his deal.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Apparently, if you get a rental, your team will get weaker in the offseason when the rental doesn’t resign.

Because, y’know, we won’t be getting anymore rentals later in the year. Seems like good logic to downgrade the Jets projected standings this year. :sarcasm:
Honestly don't see how we would have the cap space to pick up a high end rental like Stastny this year after Morrissey signs, especially considering how we would likely have to overpay to get the other team to retain salary. Chevy pulled a rabbit out of his hat this past deadline, but I think it's unfair to expect him to get the best of the other GMs every year.

We went 13-4-1 to end the season with Stastny (even with Maurice resting some of the regulars) for a 0.750 points percentage, which was significantly up from our 0.669 points percentage prior to trading for him (however small the small size).

Considering how with all our firepower +Stastny we still managed to run out offense by the third round, I don't think the concerns regarding potential regression this season are totally invalid.

Now I'm one of those guys that believes any good team that gets hot at the right time has what it takes to win a cup, so I'm far from jumping off the bandwagon any time soon, especially considering how young this core is. However, even as a hardcore Jets fan I can still personally believe that the idea that the Jets take a small step back is totally realistic, or at very least, worth a level-headed discussion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad