GDT: CDSF Game 2 Blues vs. Wild 4-18-15 2 PM CT NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My god does Kevin Weeks love Dubnyk. They didn't get him "moving" he got smoked by Berglund

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
How many bounces do they want? The first of the series was a gift and they had 2 more today that bounced off the boards right in front of the net. One almost went directly in. Flukey stuff.

No! Just paying attention to details and smart play. It was clear that The Wild players had noticed that pucks rebound weirdly off the stantions in our arena, and they deliberately aimed at them trying to grab the rebounds before Allen could react, (not knowing where the puck would go).

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
My god does Kevin Weeks love Dubnyk. They didn't get him "moving" he got smoked by Berglund

when berglund pots the cup winner, it will be so unbelievable that the commentators and everyone else will most likely refuse to believe it.

justde

Apr 12, 2015
Another good game by Gunnar. He is excellent with his stick in the defensive job.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
No! Just paying attention to details and smart play. It was clear that The Wild players had noticed that pucks rebound weirdly off the stantions in our arena, and they deliberately aimed at them trying to grab the rebounds before Allen could react, (not knowing where the puck would go).

We should have known that all Minnesota players have the mental speed and capacity of top flight physics researchers to calculate all that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love how they said that after the Wild had two weird bounces off the glass and scored from a fluke broken stick.
No kidding. Do they really think they deserved to win off of a weird bounce?

I guess "the state of hockey" feels entitled to most things. Will be fun to eliminate them.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Still don't think the Blues have played their "A" yet outside of period 1 today.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think so either. I'd still like to see a defense shake up though

Agree.

We've only really conceded 3 goals in the 2 games, but it's only a matter of time before that changes. The lapses are egregious.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
%^&*ing fell asleep 20 minutes before gametime. Oh well, nice news to wake up to! Frank the Tank, baby!

TANKhelmet_zps46b368cd.gif

....and now I get to watch the game without the nerves jingling. Predicting a 4-1 Blues win and a hat trick from Tarasenko. Lets go Blues :yo:

Lol :handclap:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
We should have known that all Minnesota players have the mental speed and capacity of top flight physics researchers to calculate all that.

Not at all. If the puck would bounce off the way people expect, it wouldn't help them any more than it would help The Blues. The unpredictability of its bounces off the stantions is all they needed to get loose pucks in the offensive zone fore their forecheck, given that unpredictable bounces would make it harder for The Blues' defenders to grab the puck earlier and have time to control it without pressure, and get it up ice.

On the forecheck, the defending team is back, closer to the dumped-in puck, and most often wins the race to it. Strategy on dump-ins on the forecheck is mainly to skate in quickly and get a body on the defender who has first gotten to the puck, before he can pass it to a teammate. Forecheckers rarely win the race to the puck when it is dumped in. Most often, the defender arrives before, and the forechecker arrives a split second or a whole second later, before the former can make a play.

By planning to, and hitting the stantion, and sending the rebound (seemingly) randomly out into the middle of the zone, The Blues have no more idea where it will go than The Wild. The Wild skating into the zone, separated to get as much coverage, have , at least, as much chance of grabbing the loose puck (if not even more, as they are covering all the different areas of the zone as they can, whereas, The Blues, not guessing the puck will hit the stantion, are skating towards where the puck should (but will not) go, when it just hits the glass).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agree.

We've only really conceded 3 goals in the 2 games, but it's only a matter of time before that changes. The lapses are egregious.

Either Jacks or Michalek need to sit. Their foot speed is just terrible.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

And Bouwmeester is a lot slower than usual, too. So, The Blues' defence is vulnerable. I hope that Lindbohm progresses well in camp this summer/early fall, and Bouwmeester heals completely, and returns to his former mobility, so that weakness doesn't remain.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

I thought Michalek, for the first time since donning the note, looked much quicker today. Prior to today I thought Hitch might have to break up Bouw-Michalek for the games in Minnesota but now I'm not sure it's necessary.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I thought Michalek, for the first time since donning the note, looked much quicker today. Prior to today I thought Hitch might have to break up Bouw-Michalek for the games in Minnesota but now I'm not sure it's necessary.

Most of what I noticed was getting to pucks in their own zone. A few times he didn't bother because he knew he wouldn't make it and smartly stayed in position BUT it led to increased zone time for the Wild.

OT: I'd really like to see Stl trade for a stud LHD. Won't bother on how we get said player.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Most of what I noticed was getting to pucks in their own zone. A few times he didn't bother because he knew he wouldn't make it and smartly stayed in position BUT it led to increased zone time for the Wild.

OT: I'd really like to see Stl trade for a stud LHD. Won't bother on how we get said player.

Yeah Michalek is still a sloth. Don't want him back next year and don't want Jackman back either for the same reason.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
In no way is this meant to be an I told you so post so putting that first, I hope nobody takes it that way...

...but how nice is it to see Jake Allen answer the bell the first two games when nationally (and locally to be honest) all everyone talks about how questionable the goaltending is here?

Meanwhile, multiple teams, including the Blackhawks are making changes or getting ready to make changes to who's in net for them.

Rock on Jake! :yo:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jake has been outstanding. No need to look back at it. Elliott would have to put up unrealistic numbers to bump Jake. That's nothing but a good thing. The first goal he got burned on but since then...he's been awesome. Today's goal was just one of those goofy goals. The speed of it really threw off his timing. I'd like to see him tone the aggression down some though.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Jake has been outstanding. No need to look back at it. Elliott would have to put up unrealistic numbers to bump Jake. That's nothing but a good thing. The first goal he got burned on but since then...he's been awesome. Today's goal was just one of those goofy goals. The speed of it really threw off his timing. I'd like to see him tone the aggression down some though.

Right, had the stick not broke Allen would have saved that and presumably got the shutout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad