GDT: CDSF Game #1 | Minnesota Wild @ St. Louis Blues | 830PM CST | FSMW, NBCSN, SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakewood

Nov 17, 2013
If you would have told any time before last night the blues would play 2 flat periods and be booed on their home ice in the first game of the playoffs I would have thought you were nuts. I can understand the pessimism. The team doesn't want it. I think a bunch of them are ready for a fresh start somewhere else.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Lehtera-Tarasenko didn't do enough, Backes was awful, and Paul Stastny's shot is horrendous.

Seriously. Stastny received a few solid passes in the slot that he just completely floated into Dubnyk's chest. Every time this guy gets a prime scoring opportunity, he just whiffs on the shot.

St. Louis Avs fan here. So you just now realized that #26 can't break a pane of glass with his shot? Avs fans have known it for years & years. As good as Stastny is in some aspects of the game, he never, EVER was much of a shooter. You'll see over the next few years that 95% of his goals come from 10 feet away from the net (or closer). And you'll never see him in the shootout either, coz he's atrocious on breakaways. That's what $7 million/yr. got you.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Backes and Otts melting at the end of the game shows they need to improve in the leadership department. The game was not over, we scored a shorty, just imagine the better chances we could had with a six on five?

Allen's style hurt him on the first one, the other goalies posted up good info: I hate watching Allen chase around the net instead when the player is below the dot, post up. Oh well, bad habits makes the difference on good tending and excellent tending.

If you would have told any time before last night the blues would play 2 flat periods and be booed on their home ice in the first game of the playoffs I would have thought you were nuts. I can understand the pessimism. The team doesn't want it. I think a bunch of them are ready for a fresh start somewhere else.

Sad but true, I can only pray that something lights a fire under their behind so they can be trade bait for someone that wants to be here....

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I would like to see the old lines return. We had no semblance of chemistry last night. We need a jumpstart of some sort also. I would like to see Porter in for Ott and Bort in for Michalek. Make them earn their space. We let JUSTIN FONTAINE walk right in to the top of the circles without so much as a sweep check. That can't happen. Thankfully he has a weaker shot than many high school kids or it would've been a golden scoring opportunity that they did nothing to earn.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I couldn't bring myself to read this board last night and frankly I still won't go through the thread after the Wild second goal, and I really won't go to the main board...I bet it's awful and the Wild assume that they'll sweep us and send us into another franchise rebuild.

Here's my take on the game. It was awful, but honestly how is anyone even the least bit suprised? I mean seriously with every thing is stacking up in this teams favor, of course they were primed for a COLOSSAL letdown. WE ARE THE ST. LOUIS BLUES, THIS IS WHAT WE DO!!!!!! Also the Wild are a good team and the fact some around here expected us to sweep them in convincing fashion was stupid to begin with, your the ones setting completely unreasonable expectations, so of course your upset, I would be too if I didnt know better. I'm still calling the Blues in 6 and this game proves its to me that is still a very likely outcome.

1st point: Petro was an absolute beast last night, I've never seen him play that level of a game, if he can keep that level of play up, he may very well win the Conn Smyth. He was absolutely dominating last night and it was a treat to watch him play to his ceiling for once this year.

2nd point:The Blues played some of their WORST hockey of the season AND WERE STILL IN THE GAME UNTIL THE 2nd EMPTY NETTER. Yes it was too little too late, but they played a terrible game and the Wild played a PERFECT road game and BARELY won. If that doesn't bode well, then I don't know what does.

3rd point: This game is on Hitchcock, period. The players were wound SSSSOOOOOO tight that they wouldn't have been able to crap out a greased BB, Hitch must understand this teams past and the ghosts that haunt this franchise, right? The level of relief on their faces after that 1st goal was SCARY AS ****. They know that everything has worked out well for them, No Chicago(LA), healthy for the 1st time all season, hot goalie, home ice advantage, etc, etc,etc...but in typical fashion they played as tight as a virgin on the night before her wedding. That's on Hitch, he has to get them to loosen up, the level of expectations are huge for this team and it clearly showed in their game. That's my biggest fear, that they will wilt under heightened expectations and Hitch won't be able to correct the ship in time. But it also falls to the players to block out the noise and just play their game, with one small caveat, ITS THE FREAKIN PLAYOFFS, not a pond hockey pickup game...you shot, crash, chip, score, repeat. The skill comes later, we are not going to score from wrist shots 40 feet out with ZERO traffic, we aren't playing the Edmonton version of Dubynk. He's also not a .935 goalie, he's a .910 goalie and the more we actually test him the more he will get exposed.

4th point: Hopefully the late period flurry is a road map on how to play against the Wild, we can't expect to play an offensive game like we would if we were playing the Avs or Hurricanes(crap defensive team, sorry bandwagoners) these guys are very solid structurally and will not allow the cutesy shiny that they tried for 50 minutes last night. The Wild are too structured for that and they have good players and oh yeah, they're playing for their lives too, I think the Blues just expected them to rollover because it's "the Blues turn" they don't care that you've sucked these past 3 years, they want to win too.

5th point:How many were on here clamoring for history not to repeat itself???? Well it didn't, so let's take some solace in that and move on to game 2. The series isn't WON or LOST in game 1, they played awful all night and still had a shot, if they play they way they did in the 3rd all game, we can still win this, but if they play like they did in the 2nd, it will be a short series.

6th point: Allen was good enough for us to win, and if he wasn't so aggressive at the beginning maybe we win 2-1. But he played well enough to win. That's good enough for me.

It's time to see what they're made of, can they come back after a tough loss in the playoffs? It's been the biggest mark for me all season. Well now we'll get to see if this team has learned their lesson.

Let's Go Blues!

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I couldn't bring myself to read this board last night and frankly I still won't go through the thread after the Wild second goal, and I really won't go to the main board...I bet it's awful and the Wild assume that they'll sweep us and send us into another franchise rebuild.

Here's my take on the game. It was awful, but honestly how is anyone even the least bit suprised? I mean seriously with every thing is stacking up in this teams favor, of course they were primed for a COLOSSAL letdown. WE ARE THE ST. LOUIS BLUES, THIS IS WHAT WE DO!!!!!! Also the Wild are a good team and the fact some around here expected us to sweep them in convincing fashion was stupid to begin with, your the ones setting completely unreasonable expectations, so of course your upset, I would be too if I didnt know better. I'm still calling the Blues in 6 and this game proves its to me that is still a very likely outcome.

1st point: Petro was an absolute beast last night, I've never seen him play that level of a game, if he can keep that level of play up, he may very well win the Conn Smyth. He was absolutely dominating last night and it was a treat to watch him play to his ceiling for once this year.

2nd point:The Blues played some of their WORST hockey of the season AND WERE STILL IN THE GAME UNTIL THE 2nd EMPTY NETTER. Yes it was too little too late, but they played a terrible game and the Wild played a PERFECT road game and BARELY won. If that doesn't bode well, then I don't know what does.

3rd point: This game is on Hitchcock, period. The players were wound SSSSOOOOOO tight that they wouldn't have been able to crap out a greased BB, Hitch must understand this teams past and the ghosts that haunt this franchise, right? The level of relief on their faces after that 1st goal was SCARY AS ****. They know that everything has worked out well for them, No Chicago(LA), healthy for the 1st time all season, hot goalie, home ice advantage, etc, etc,etc...but in typical fashion they played as tight as a virgin on the night before her wedding. That's on Hitch, he has to get them to loosen up, the level of expectations are huge for this team and it clearly showed in their game. That's my biggest fear, that they will wilt under heightened expectations and Hitch won't be able to correct the ship in time. But it also falls to the players to block out the noise and just play their game, with one small caveat, ITS THE FREAKIN PLAYOFFS, not a pond hockey pickup game...you shot, crash, chip, score, repeat. The skill comes later, we are not going to score from wrist shots 40 feet out with ZERO traffic, we aren't playing the Edmonton version of Dubynk. He's also not a .935 goalie, he's a .910 goalie and the more we actually test him the more he will get exposed.

4th point: Hopefully the late period flurry is a road map on how to play against the Wild, we can't expect to play an offensive game like we would if we were playing the Avs or Hurricanes(crap defensive team, sorry bandwagoners) these guys are very solid structurally and will not allow the cutesy shiny that they tried for 50 minutes last night. The Wild are too structured for that and they have good players and oh yeah, they're playing for their lives too, I think the Blues just expected them to rollover because it's "the Blues turn" they don't care that you've sucked these past 3 years, they want to win too.

5th point:How many were on here clamoring for history not to repeat itself???? Well it didn't, so let's take some solace in that and move on to game 2. The series isn't WON or LOST in game 1, they played awful all night and still had a shot, if they play they way they did in the 3rd all game, we can still win this, but if they play like they did in the 2nd, it will be a short series.

6th point: Allen was good enough for us to win, and if he wasn't so aggressive at the beginning maybe we win 2-1. But he played well enough to win. That's good enough for me.

It's time to see what they're made of, can they come back after a tough loss in the playoffs? It's been the biggest mark for me all season. Well now we'll get to see if this team has learned their lesson.

Let's Go Blues!

Thank you for the positivity, let's hope you are right and the players can "block out the noise."

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
We have almost filled an entire thread. That's what playing well under your capabilities gets you. Our win on Saturday will have half as many posts :laugh:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I think "worst hockey of the season" might be a bit melodramatic. They were still playing tight defensively and out-possessed the wild as a whole. The second was rough, but our penalty kill gave them momentum past the two minutes and we couldn't really get it back until the third. Once again, we fell into the passive killing that all of us hate so much.

You're not going to do anything last night by "Shoot, crash, chip" other than maybe give them a few odd man rushes. The Wild were collapsing like crazy and trying to block everything in the middle. In that case you need to stretch the defense and actually hit/catch the passes available. Oshie, Backes, Jaskin, and Schwartz all had the puck on their stick in scoring position last night and fired it high and wide or directly in Dubnyk's pads. It's not Hitchcock's fault the old core has a history of playoff disappearances. That's what leads to clutching the stick too tight, not anything Hitchcock may or may not have said. Hitch's gameplan was solid, and he made the right adjustments to give us a chance. If the Blues weren't out to prove the choker narrative correct, that game goes to OT. What they do need to get rid of is what I call percentage passes, where they blindly throw the puck to a scoring area and hope for the best, usually when the lane is blocked or there's no one in there. They gave us room to the outside for most of the game, we should be able to cycle all over them.

We played the third like we came out in the game. We took the puck along the outside and won the board battles instead of giving it away. The Wild had structure, but not the kind that wins series. Collapse and counterattack is inherently exploitable and not the way to win in the playoffs, we just need to get open in the slot and hit our passes & Shots. Dubnyk was beatable.

Agreed on the rest of your points.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
There's plenty of posts blaming Allen for the first goal, and rightfully so. What's far more concerning is the rest of the teams inability to show any sort of bounce back.

Not really concerning for me, they haven't shown much if any "bounce back" all year. Disappointing and discouraging that their uninspired play has actually carried over into the postseason. Of the 16 playoff teams, the blues are the only one that came out in game 1 and played it like it was game 40, with no hustle, no urgency and no passion. Amazingly after all these postseason let downs, the blues can't manage to get up for game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, to the point that their own fans were booing them before the game was over.

Unbelievable, they at least showed up for the opening bell last year. They thought they had problems with selling tickets before, I wonder what game 2 is gonna look like, poor Stillman :shakehead

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Upon reflection, some thoughts:

The team played with confidence. There wasn't a lot of urgency to try and tie it up immediately (or desperation is probably the better word) because they felt confident that they could/would win. The 2-0 deficit was a wake up call, and I didn't really like Hitchcock's reaction on the bench. That was the first moment when I thought the Blues were probably going to lose....not the goal but the coaching reaction.

But guys were passing up shots, playing "the system" more than trying to win the game, it seemed to me. It showed a lack of passion. The team was just not ready to come out and skate a playoff level of effort. By effort I mean 'will to win'.

They say a series doesn't really start until someone loses at home. Suddenly Game 2 is a must-win or they're in pretty dire straights.

Finally, I think Minnesota deserves credit. They played a hell of a game, and their defense is good enough that spotting them the early lead is a recipe for disaster.

I hope to see a dramatically better performance in Game 2. I want to see some sign that this team is angry.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
This whole "we suck after 3 days off" pisses me off more then anything. It lacks professionalism at such a high level. It's the ****ing PLAYOFFS, what more you need. We yet again seen a listless lollygagging team at home non the less. I'm so sick of this teams' weak ass excuses.

Pretty much this, ****ing mental midgets. What the **** does it take to get this bunch of headcases up for game 1!? Guess they need their hands held. I feel sorry for Stillman trying to make a profit by selling PO tickets after that ho hum of a performance. When it was already hard to get fans in STL to not only believe in this team, but shell out their hard earned dollars for playoff hockey, they go and **** a turd like that, just unreal.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
NBCSN post game.

Milbury says we need more possession time? Even though we had plenty of chances where we circled the perimeter but didn't put a shot on, or a non-threatening one? Kind of a similar story to the entire season?

Milbury. Idiot. Everything he says is always the opposite of right.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah possession time was not the issue. We had the puck, it's just what we did with it that was the problem. Petro was the only one even attempting to take the puck to the middle for most of the game. Schwartz took it there a couple times near the end of the game, but he was on the perimeter far too much as well.

SkyBlue

2/16 * 3
May 27, 2006
Where is the pitch fork mafia for allen on the first goal? Only sarcasm because we all know it would be that way for Ells

Just like the last two years (at least) the Blues real weakness is more between the ears than between the pipes. Personally, I'm convinced both our goalies are as good as Wild's only goalie -- Dudnyk let in the same number of goals last night on fewer and mostly outside shots, for example. Your point is well taken, but we likely get the same result with Ells in net if skaters in front of him outskated most of the game so there's no gain made by sacrificing a rookie goalies confidence. It is unfair to Ells, but oddly enough he has played better with everything to prove than he did after he thought he'd gotten beyond that... which makes him a potentially fantastic 2nd if/when needed. The same wouldnt be true with the two goalies roles reversed. Ells shares the teams overall psychology: we only see their A game when desperate.

OT: I also love my wife dearly eyes wide open to the fact she can be a head case sometimes...

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i am allens biggest supporter and i didnt like the goals he gave up but the fact is that game should have been 5 or 6 to nothing with the pathetic performance the blues gave

i have alot more confidence in jake being a difference in this series than the special teams or our leadership core so those are the things I would be worried about if I was a BLues fan.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
i am allens biggest supporter and i didnt like the goals he gave up but the fact is that game should have been 5 or 6 to nothing with the pathetic performance the blues gave

i have alot more confidence in jake being a difference in this series than the special teams or our leadership core so those are the things I would be worried about if I was a BLues fan.

I have no problem with Allen starting, or getting Game 2. I think he played well enough to win. But I also think he played almost identically well to what I would expect from Elliott. I see little reason to feel that goaltending is going to change the course of this series either direction. Either the team find a way to score some goals, or they don't. If they do, the goaltending is good enough to win (with EITHER guy).

Allen is going to have another unfortunate bounce and let in a bad goal every once in a while. Whether or not that happens can not be the margin between winning and losing the series, or the Blues really have not shot at all of contending.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

You'll never afford the same slack to Elliott, It's truly baffling.

Like always...goaltending isn't really the issue

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
well the way i see things if the blues drop game 2 with similar play from allen, elliott will get his chance in games 3 and 4. allen was good last night but good is not good enough in the playoffs, you have to be great. i didnt think either teams goalie was very good, the blues just did their typical playoff routine and shot pucks into east st louis instead of the net when they actually decided to take shots.

the special team war is probably going to be the difference in this series. even with all the routine blues playoff noshows they can still beat Minny if they win the special team battle, which they clearly did not do last night. I honestly expected the PP to be a flop but the PK last night was terrible too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad