GDT: CDSF Game #1 | Minnesota Wild @ St. Louis Blues | 830PM CST | FSMW, NBCSN, SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Whose feelings would be hurt if Backes, Oshie, Jackman, Berglund, Bouwmeester and a couple of the key pickups by Armstrong were disappeared next season?

I want a Cup, not excuses.

Looking forward, I can see the Blues being a better team with less than more. Im drunk.

If we lose this series, those most of those guys need to be gone. Maybe pray CBJ gets McDavid and dangle some of them for Ryan Johansen

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I agree. The Blues were confident, but not desperate. They didn't look like they were ready to play playoff hockey.

I think it was a false overconfidence that wasn't warranted, at first, which made them think that all they had to do was to step out on the ice and they'd win. But, because they only know how to bring on their "will to win" and urgency when they are in the middle of a disaster (like when several of their top players are out), they came out just going through the motions. THEN, when they gave up the early goal (on Allen's poor positioning), the air came out of the false "confidence". They finally started playing later, but it was too little too late, and the frustration penalties killed any chance of a comeback.

I think this is a very similar situation to the series in which The Blues lost Game 1 to The Sharks. They got serious, worked hard, and decided to put everything into winning, and won the next four straight. I have a feeling they'll react in a similar way in this series, and still win it 4-2 (I hope).

That is why I wanted so badly for them to avoid Chicago in Round 1, so they could have the added confidence of winning their first series when finally playing them.

But, after seeing how well The Blackhawks played vs. The Preds, I think they are still a step above The Blues. And even IF The Blues beat The Wild, I wouldn't expect them to beat Chicago (unfortunately) despite the added confidence.

PS: Tarasenko needs to go back to at least one element of his rookie season with The Blues: Working hard all through the game, and playing 2-way hockey. He should be embarrassed after tonight's game (as should just about all The Blues, except, Pietrangelo, Allen and perhaps Schwartz and Berglund).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I actually wanted to start 1-1 since starting 2-0 the past two years obviously isn't good for this team's psyche. :laugh:

So if they can win Saturday, I'll be fine. If they don't... Well. This place is going to come crashing down. And rightfully so, to be honest.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Thoughts on benching Jax and Michalek for Bortuzzo and Lindbohm?

Jackman and Ott were the only two guys I saw out there who were punishing Wild forwards sniffing around the goal.

I want Jackman in the game, especially at home where he should not get caught against the top line. He did his job.

Gunnarson was pretty marginal tonight as well. If Bortuzzo was "better than we expected" you'd have to say Michalek is worse. He's just too slow to put on the ice against a fast team like Minnesota, Colorado, Nashville and Chicago. So....just who can they play him against?

I'm fine with Bortuzzo in, because I think the Blues will win if they make it a smash mouth contest. But Bortuzzo will be responsible for at least own dumb penalty. Assuming they kill that off, we are better off with him in the lineup for this series.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm Elliott's biggest supporter, but Jake deserves the next start. That game had nothing to do with who was in goal. It had everything to do with the skaters in front of him. Jake's first goal wasn't great, but for him to sit after tonight's game would be totally unfair.

I agree. Terrible first goal, but it's on the team to get that back...and he is likely to not do that again. I think it was just early game nerves and him trying to be aggressive.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Thoughts after getting back from the game:

At what point does Oshie get called out for completely disappearing in the playoffs. Seven points in 25 games, passes bouncy and off target constantly. Him and Backes are at the top of my shake-up list if we go out this round.

Tonight might have been one of the best games Pietrangelo has played. Total beast everywhere and best player on the ice for either team.

I really question starting Allen for the playoffs. First goal was weak as hell and his rebound control was frightening all night to say the least. He needs to settle down or they'll get freebies all series. Still, the response from the team after that goal was not acceptable.

The Wild really like to clog up the middle in their own zone. Once we find a way to penetrate it (and not clutch our sticks too tight and fire it wildly away from the net), we should be fine.

We tried really hard to prove the "chokers" crowd right tonight. So many errant passes and fluttery misses on golden opportunities.

I hate St. Louis hockey fans who go to games. They get so excited to scream their ignorance of the game everywhere.

Well unfortunately Hitch thought he was "great" and already named him starter for game 2.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Devan Dubnyk SV% .905
Jake Allen SV%: .926

I hope the offense sees if they penetrate the middle and put pucks on net, the rubber will find the back of the net. There were very little high % scoring chances against him tonight. He can be beat, it is the defensive layers that need to get pealed back.

They both let in 2 goals. But the Blues never tested Dubnyk.

I'm reading through the thread now, but Lehtera-Tarasenko was pretty invisible. Steen and Frank showed some chemistry late in the game, but the line was not effective.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lehtera-Tarasenko didn't do enough, Backes was awful, and Paul Stastny's shot is horrendous.

Seriously. Stastny received a few solid passes in the slot that he just completely floated into Dubnyk's chest. Every time this guy gets a prime scoring opportunity, he just whiffs on the shot.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Good lord could you imagine of Elliott let that one in.... he would be tarred and feathered. Love how Allen gets the pass and it's pushed onto Bouwmeester who was doing his job.

Jake did fine, but so did Elliott in previous years and he's still blamed, so Jake gets to sit in the F group too.

Yep, it's that reverse Ells-chology half of this board would have had a ****ing heart attack if Elliott let that in. But it was Allen in net, so it was the defenses fault.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think it was a false overconfidence that wasn't warranted, at first, which made them think that all they had to do was to step out on the ice and they'd win. But, because they only know how to bring on their "will to win" and urgency when they are in the middle of a disaster (like when several of their top players are out), they came out just going through the motions. THEN, when they gave up the early goal (on Allen's poor positioning), the air came out of the false "confidence". They finally started playing later, but it was too little too late, and the frustration penalties killed any chance of a comeback.

I think this is a very similar situation to the series in which The Blues lost Game 1 to The Sharks. They got serious, worked hard, and decided to put everything into winning, and won the next four straight. I have a feeling they'll react in a similar way in this series, and still win it 4-2 (I hope).

That is why I wanted so badly for them to avoid Chicago in Round 1, so they could have the added confidence of winning their first series when finally playing them.

But, after seeing how well The Blackhawks played vs. The Preds, I think they are still a step above The Blues. And even IF The Blues beat The Wild, I wouldn't expect them to beat Chicago (unfortunately) despite the added confidence.

PS: Tarasenko needs to go back to at least one element of his rookie season with The Blues: Working hard all through the game, and playing 2-way hockey. He should be embarrassed after tonight's game (as should just about all The Blues, except, Pietrangelo, Allen and perhaps Schwartz and Berglund).

I thought Chicago's defense still looks vulnerable. Nashville won't be able to expose it, but I see the winner of the Blues/Wild beating Chicago in the next round.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I really wish that I could not love this team, it kills me sometimes that this is the team my brain and heart make me care about.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
The way I see it :

1st period : Blues dominated but all their shots were being blocked by the Wild. The Wild were clogging up the scoring area very well. Zucker got a nice bounce off of Allen's pads and was able to tuck it (sort of a lucky goal). The little offensive time the Wild were generating in the 1st period was purely off the rush.

2nd period : The Blues didn't play well. End of story. And the Wild powerplay was somewhat looking dangerous.

3rd period : Best period for the Blues in my opinion. Just too little too late, I guess. I wouldn't have taken out the goalie quite as early as was done but that's just my opinion. If they play like this for the whole of Game 2, I'm not too worried.

Wild were pretty darn opportunistic tonight (barring the 2nd period). Anyhoo, really excited for Game 2 saturday (the time is a little more friendly for europeans :D).

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
Where is the pitch fork mafia for allen on the first goal? Only sarcasm because we all know it would be that way for Ells

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This whole "we suck after 3 days off" pisses me off more then anything. It lacks professionalism at such a high level. It's the ****ing PLAYOFFS, what more you need. We yet again seen a listless lollygagging team at home non the less. I'm so sick of this teams' weak ass excuses.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Bouwmeester was guarding a guy in the mid-slot. He couldn't just abandon him completely. There's no reason why Allen shouldn't have been able to seal the near post while leaving himself in a position where he could push across to the other side. It's a fundamental that goalies execute all the time.

Shot_zpsx0mgn2dm.jpg

The initial shot was from around the bottom of the circle well outside the dot. Note that Allen's right foot is hooked outside around the net instead of being pressed up against the inside of the post, or vertical like so:

Dunne_20140411_0165-1024x681.jpg

Or by sealing it against the inside of the post like so:

1297245210445_ORIGINAL_zps0d6f5ef4.jpg

save_zpsoxasrpzq.jpg

Allen makes the save by kicking out his right leg, which he didn't need to do as he already had the post sealed. He merely needed to let the puck hit him without moving. Kicking out his right leg creates a gap between his body and the post, while getting his right foot further out of position.

rebound_zps7kgxeuod.jpg

Allen kicked the puck right back to the shooter, and now he's out of position with the post unsealed. He pushes off his left foot to lunge to his right in an attempt to seal the near post leading to the above position. Note Allen's right foot is still useless. Bouwmeester is marking his guy in the slot.

aftermath_zpswqmcyqgl.jpg

Zucker takes the puck behind the net, and Allen's poor fundamentals to this point leave him with no means of recovery. Even if he could plant his right foot, it's not in a position that would allow him to move laterally across the crease. Bouwmeester starts to react.

goal_zpstx4gv155.jpg

The goal is scored a split-second later.

IMO, this is a terrible goal by Allen.

I don't disagree at all with the notion that Allen blew that big time. The goalie in me was screaming at him after. I just felt Bouwmeester was slow in reacting to the play. Allen deserves most of the blame, but not quite all of it.

Interestingly enough, this goal is a perfect example of my biggest complain ablut Allen. For someone who's fundamentals are raved about by our goaltending coach, he sure plays a hectic game.
He's got to find a way to calm his movements in the net.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Enough of the negativity, lets look at Pietrangelo, holy hell what a game from him. He looked amazing, logged over 25 minutes and was surprisingly a +2 tonight. Hope he can rub off on the other defencemen.

Fantastic game from Pietro, no doubt about it. That's one player who came ready for a playoff game.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Fantastic game from Pietro, no doubt about it. That's one player who came ready for a playoff game.

Not only was Petro the best Blues on the ice last night, He was the best player on the ice. He alone almost pulled out that game. That being said and I can not believe I am writing this..... But Berglund was Bergie might have been our second best player over the whole game.:cry:

TheSilverSkeeter

Sponsor
Oct 27, 2011
STL
Does Schwartz and Steen getting the final two Blues' goals in game 1 keep the eerie streak alive, or does the loss cancel that out?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't really get the pessimism. No loss is nice, but we weren't going to win 16 games straight to go to the Cup.

The performance last night was not acceptable, but it was also a performance that seen us have the better of 2 periods and play a close game. Even the best teams have ugly playoff games.

The one thing about the roster than will need sorted in the summer, irrespective of how the season finishes, is the defense. For a start, Jackman has no place on this roster anymore. I'm not a Jackman hater, I think he is still a good NHL defenseman, but we simply can't afford his lack of versatility.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yep, it's that reverse Ells-chology half of this board would have had a ****ing heart attack if Elliott let that in. But it was Allen in net, so it was the defenses fault.

There's plenty of posts blaming Allen for the first goal, and rightfully so. What's far more concerning is the rest of the teams inability to show any sort of bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad