GDT: CDSF Game #1 | Minnesota Wild @ St. Louis Blues | 830PM CST | FSMW, NBCSN, SN360

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Bouw's not blameless, but I want his eyes on the incoming forwards and hope to hell that my remaining defenseman and my red-hot goalie can manage to keep the offensive dynamo that is Zucker contained.
(He's actually pretty good but this isn't the time of the season to be giving the opposition any positive reinforcement)

85+% of that is on Jake.
Dont agree. He made the first save. I dont know why anyone would think the D are void of complaint. How often does that goal happen?

Bouw had the angle on the shot and the pass. He's pathetic and was all night.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Again, think he had ample time to see that develop and could have stayed in the passing lane while defending the weak post. He wasnt exactly velcroed to the late guy.

He was terrible all game, is what it is.
Ample time?

Using the video feed, it was literally less than 1 second from the time the rebound first touches Zucker's stick to the puck going into the net.

The median human reaction time is about a quarter of a second under testing (i.e. optimal) conditions, so that leaves Bouwmeester around half a second to turn and cover all that ground once he processes what's happening.

I'd say that's pretty impossible. If you disagree, then I guess we'll agree to disagree.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Well bugger me that sucked.

I envy the optimists around here, I can't for the life of me understand how any fellow Blues fans can be anything but pessimistic about our chances from here on in but its nice to see.

I will reserve judgement on the "ceilings are caving in" thoughts I have about the team for now only to say that if Pietrangelo or Schwartz isn't captaining this team in 15-16 I am going to be seriously pissed off.

I've only been a fan since about 1996, and I know many people here have been fans for longer - but I've been beat down so many times after getting my hopes up by the Blues that I'm kind of over pessimism. Like it's so ingrained in me that I don't even let it come to the front of my mind. So in a way being ground down so much over the years that my expectations are low and since I'm in such a low state constantly, things can only get better.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Bouwmeester was in pretty good position at the third screen cap to defend his guy in the slot, which means that he has no chance of defending the wraparound.

He has to turn around and travel further than Zucker has to travel, and he's starting from a near standstill while Zucker already has as a full head of steam going forward.

No defender in the league prevents that goal from Bouwmeester's position.

I agree here. There's no way he could have gotten there without having left his man too early (which, if THAT early, could have created an easy chance for The Wild). He couldn't predict that Allen wouldn't do the obvious static post gap sealing, and would, instead, wrap his leg around the post on the outside - making it impossible for him to push back across to the other post.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
And Allen has time to get in position. Maybe he disrupts the pass.

This is a split second situation and the mental evaluation does not happen that fast. Better would be if Allen never got himself out of position in the first place instead of blaming Bouwmeester for not covering for an MIA Allen in time.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
And Allen has time to get in position. Maybe he disrupts the pass.

Allen was so far gone out of the play that it doesn't matter at all. He was stuck halfway outside the post. A goalie should never be in the butterfly that far to the side, it's simply horrible positioning.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Ample time?

Using the video feed, it was literally less than 1 second from the time the rebound first touches Zucker's stick to the puck going into the net.

The median human reaction time is about a quarter of a second under testing (i.e. optimal) conditions, so that leaves Bouwmeester around half a second to turn and cover all that ground once he processes what's happening.

I'd say that's pretty impossible. If you disagree, then I guess we'll agree to disagree.
Honestly, just aggravated. Im not sure Ill be rational for a while. I see your point.

I just want and expect better than a gong show on home ice.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Upon retrospection, what's truly disappointing is that tonight didn't feel like playoff hockey. Best time of the year despite being a Blues fan. High tensions, hard fought, highly watchable games even if the series inevitably disappoint. This just felt like yet another 14/15 regular season game that we didn't show up for.

I can deal with sucking and missing the playoffs, I can deal with losing a series against the future / current Cup champ, but I can't deal with this team not showing up despite all of the on paper improvements. There's a solid 5 or 6 players I don't want to see in a Blues sweater again if we don't start playing quality, improved playoff hockey as soon as Saturday afternoon.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good lord could you imagine of Elliott let that one in.... he would be tarred and feathered. Love how Allen gets the pass and it's pushed onto Bouwmeester who was doing his job.

Jake did fine, but so did Elliott in previous years and he's still blamed, so Jake gets to sit in the F group too.

kagei

Apr 14, 2014
STL
Honestly, just aggravated. Im not sure Ill be rational for a while. I see your point.

I just want and expect better than a gong show on home ice.

No point being rational, just call it a back-breaking goal allowed by Allen. :sarcasm:

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Upon retrospection, what's truly disappointing is that tonight didn't feel like playoff hockey. Best time of the year despite being a Blues fan. High tensions, hard fought, highly watchable games even if the series inevitably disappoint. This just felt like yet another 14/15 regular season game that we didn't show up for.

I can deal with sucking and missing the playoffs, I can deal with losing a series against the future / current Cup champ, but I can't deal with this team not showing up despite all of the on paper improvements. There's a solid 5 or 6 players I don't want to see in a Blues sweater again if we don't start playing quality, improved playoff hockey as soon as Saturday afternoon.

Part of the big driver of playoff hockey is the atmosphere. The crowd died after the first goal and were booing the Blues for really stupid things.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Part of the big driver of playoff hockey is the atmosphere. The crowd died after the first goal and were booing the Blues for really stupid things.

11 shots through 2 periods, they deserved to be booed. Fans paid big bucks to be entertained and have a fun time, not watch a boring turtlefest with 11 shots. That was the lamest playoff game I have seen in a long time. Blues fans deserve better

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
They should start an "Oshie Sucks" chant next game. Then start another with "Info overload."

After all the BS, if Oshie doesnt show up, send him to Edmonton. Let him get drunk with snowman.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I agree. The Blues were confident, but not desperate. They didn't look like they were ready to play playoff hockey.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
It was a poor goal to let up, but frankly the team has got to find a way to overcome it. Goalies are going to give up softies at some point. Winning teams find a way to win, despite that.

Not to state the obvious but this isn't a winning team, all they've ever proven to be is a good to great regular season team. Bit as soon as the post season hits, and the first bit of adversity emerges (Allen let's in super soft first goal) they have a collective mental meltdown. That is all they ever proven, and did so again tonight.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012

No disagreement, but it takes two to tango and even with the possession in the first we weren't generating quality chances.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
11 shots through 2 periods, they deserved to be booed. Fans paid big bucks to be entertained and have a fun time, not watch a boring turtlefest with 11 shots. That was the lamest playoff game I have seen in a long time. Blues fans deserve better

Allen gave up a very damaging early goal. Of all teams (except maybe Nashville) the Wild are not a team you want to play from behind. The trapping and defense was played extremely well. Lots of Blues possession, but very little converted into legit scoring chances.

If we judge Allen by the same measuring stick Elliott has had, the performance looks about the same to me. But Allen played better after that, and maybe we can give him some slack for his first playoff start. Goodness knows the rest of the team didn't show up with the intensity they needed to bring.

At this rate, they'll come into the series completely health, and go out of it barely breaking a sweat.

Mzeppelin1

Apr 26, 2014
See you guys next season! I'm checking out so I don't fail my classes due to stress, hypertension, and intense sorrow.

I love you all and don't worry, we'll win next year; just like their will be free crab tomorrow at Joe's Crab Shack

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Whose feelings would be hurt if Backes, Oshie, Jackman, Berglund, Bouwmeester and a couple of the key pickups by Armstrong were disappeared next season?

I want a Cup, not excuses.

Looking forward, I can see the Blues being a better team with less than more. Im drunk.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
They should start an "Oshie Sucks" chant next game. Then start another with "Info overload."

After all the BS, if Oshie doesnt show up, send him to Edmonton. Let him get drunk with snowman.

agreed, i have soured on Oshie in the past 2 years and I do not find it unusual that he stopped playing a physical brand of hockey during this time span. I am just so over this cores leadership group and this is the final chance for them. if they manage to do nothing again then its time for major changes to the core.

The Hawks go on deep runs every season because their leaders (Toews, Keith, Kane, Sharp, Hossa) actually lead and the rest of the team follows them. The Blues have leaders (Backes, Oshie, Jackman, Berglund) who smell their own farts and the rest of the team follows them in doing that.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Blues lost 1 game and some of you are packing it in. k.

Current Blues core group has shown over the past 4 years that they are unable to stop the bleeding once they lose.

I saw nothing tonight that they can say "Wow we did a good job!"

The special teams were terrible
The goaltending was average
The forwards were pathetic and generated nothing until Minny went into Turtle mode
The defense backed in and allowed Minny to gain momentum off the rush

The most worrying thing to me is seeing Backes and Ott having stupid meltdowns after one game. If they are going to meltdown, I dont see why the fans shouldnt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad