Confirmed with Link: CDH and Saarela to CHI for Forsling and Anton Forsberg

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I mean, it’s not like we have documentary evidence of how this all played out. Anyone talking about it at all is doing so out of their asses. Including reporters who suddenly have inside scoops, despite all having completely missed this story as it developed.

All we can do is evaluate the circumstantial evidence, one large piece of which is that this player is now on his 4th shoulder injury at age 26 and was projected (not optimistically self projected, but projected by the team itself) to be out until close to Christmas.
Everything I’ve read indicates this came out of nowhere...did you read something different? I was under the assumption after failing to move Faulk at the draft, CDH was the next one in line (as result of 2020 1st purchase).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I can't be the only one that thought CDH would be the best d-man to move before all this happened.

I just assumed it wouldn't, because nobody trades a guy a year after you sign him, and nobody really looks to trade for a guy with that kind of injury.

Guess if I had spoke up then I'd look like some kind of high falutin' insider right now.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
would you be able to point me to where you read that? I'd be very interested to get that perspective.

From Chips latest opus in the N&O:

Waddell said Forsberg, a backup for the Blackhawks, was recommended by Paul Schonfelder, the Canes’ minor-league goalie consultant who has worked with Forsberg in the past and is one of many candidates to replace Mike Bales as the Canes’ goaltending coach.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Waddell said Forsberg, a backup for the Blackhawks, was recommended by Paul Schonfelder, the Canes’ minor-league goalie consultant who has worked with Forsberg in the past and is one of many candidates to replace Mike Bales as the Canes’ goaltending coach.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard of this consultant. I guess he replaced Cujo.

Reactions: Unsustainable

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Well, the last goalie we got from the Hawks worked out so well, I’m surprised it took us this long to dip back into that pool. The only thing that would make this more perfect is if we brought Cam back from there with that Chicago magic now baked in.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well, the last goalie we got from the Hawks worked out so well, I’m surprised it took us this long to dip back into that pool. The only thing that would make this more perfect is if we brought Cam back from there with that Chicago magic now baked in.
I mean it's damn near impossible for it to go Darling levels of bad again, so why not try if the guy has promise.

Everyone also 100% knew Mrazek was going to be a disaster this past season, too...

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It’s not exactly an outlandish theory that a guy who got traded immediately after major surgery was traded because of injury concerns.

I can't believe you guys have me agreeing with bleed, but I'm not buying the injury angle to the trade. For one, Chicago had to have done their due diligence. Two, as bad as it is to trade a guy who just signed a year ago as a UFA, it's worse to trade damaged goods without full disclosure.

There's extra risk with de Haan due to the multiple surgeries, but Chicago is obviously willing to accept the risk. To me, this is all about clearing a spot for Fleury/Bean and recouping the money we used to get a first-rounder out of Toronto.

If "surgery didn't go as well as hoped," Chicago would certainly know that.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I can't be the only one that thought CDH would be the best d-man to move before all this happened.

I just assumed it wouldn't, because nobody trades a guy a year after you sign him, and nobody really looks to trade for a guy with that kind of injury.

Guess if I had spoke up then I'd look like some kind of high falutin' insider right now.
If we had to get rid of anyone it's close between TVR and de Haan. But like you I figured CdH would be staying because we just signed him last offseason and he still had a few years left on his deal. The signing never made a lot of sense in the first place even without the benefit of hindsight, he was a luxury a budget minded team couldn't really afford, especially with Aho breaking out more than anyone expected before signing his new deal and after taking on cap dumps like Marleau. It sucks he was getting comfortable here then had to be shipped out, but the Marleau deal and all the money already tied up in the defense along with Fleury and Bean looking to make the team kind of necessitated it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
All I remember Fleury doing last year was sitting on the bench in the playoffs as the 6D. Rod had the staples out, he was clearly overwhelmed.

I personally feel that Bean has passed him and is the more likely guy to benefit from de Haan moving on, but I've been told I'm crazy for thinking that.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I personally feel that Bean has passed him and is the more likely guy to benefit from de Haan moving on, but I've been told I'm crazy for thinking that.
I'm not sure they're necessarily fighting for the same spot, at least while TVR is out. But when TVR is back, if they're looking to replace what de Haan brought then naturally Fleury is the guy. If they don't really care and want more of what Bean brings and Bean is the best option period, I'm sure they'll go with Bean.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
If we had to get rid of anyone it's close between TVR and de Haan. But like you I figured CdH would be staying because we just signed him last offseason and he still had a few years left on his deal. The signing never made a lot of sense in the first place even without the benefit of hindsight, he was a luxury a budget minded team couldn't really afford, especially with Aho breaking out more than anyone expected before signing his new deal and after taking on cap dumps like Marleau. It sucks he was getting comfortable here then had to be shipped out, but the Marleau deal and all the money already tied up in the defense along with Fleury and Bean looking to make the team kind of necessitated it.

Yeah, this was just a correction. The Borg realized we didn't need all those d-men we acquired last season, and they had to dump somebody to balance things out. The injury concerns probably affected the return, but I don't think that's why we traded de Haan. We traded him because he was extra and we can't pay a third-pairing guy $4.55 million.

One other thing I find so much fun about this summer, is how we're willing to say just about anything to justify our hot takes. "Faulk was our second-best defenseman in the playoffs so we shouldn't dump him for nothing." "There were nights when de Haan was our best defensemen."

We have Jaccob Slavin and Brett Pesce signed long-term for reasonable money, and Dougie Hamilton is again getting horribly underrated because of one bad playoff series. Any defenseman ranking for us starts at No. 4. We'd be fine even if we traded Faulk.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Just because Fleury was overwhelmed in the playoffs this year doesn't mean he can't be great next year. By all accounts he was still a very green player in the NHL and he was taking the firehose to the face in the playoffs. With an entire season to become used to the NHL level with some playoff experience under his belt, I would expect him to be much better next year.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not sure they're necessarily fighting for the same spot, at least while TVR is out. But when TVR is back, if they're looking to replace what de Haan brought then naturally Fleury is the guy. If they don't really care and want more of what Bean brings and Bean is the best option period, I'm sure they'll go with Bean.

Yeah, I get it. Fleury plays a similar style to de Haan. But at some point, it's got to matter that no matter what style he plays, Hadyn Fleury just hasn't shown to be an NHL-caliber defenseman. I get that he's similar to de Haan, and I get that he's got nothing to prove in the AHL, but until he shows *something* in the NHL, I'd like to hold off on gifting him a spot in the lineup.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I get it. Fleury plays a similar style to de Haan. But at some point, it's got to matter that no matter what style he plays, Hadyn Fleury just hasn't shown to be an NHL-caliber defenseman. I get that he's similar to de Haan, and I get that he's got nothing to prove in the AHL, but until he shows *something* in the NHL, I'd like to hold off on gifting him a spot in the lineup.

I don’t think he’s being gifted a spot. I think he has to beat Forsling and Bean for a spot.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

that's an interesting connection. i like this move for that reason as well. they're really making ned earn every bit of opportunity he's been in line to get and to his credit he has answered the bell each time. i don't feel like carolina was ever comfortable with him as the heir apparent under either regime and are going to make him earn each developmental step through the stiffest challenge they can offer him. with the ufa goalie we sign obviously being the 1a starter, to bring in a guy who is a pet project of your next potential goaltending coach as a candidate for the backup position seems like an almost insurmountable position. it's going to be really interesting to see how that plays out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

we're in a real shit or get off the pot situation with fleury. he was a 7th overall pick. he's gotten better every season. he has a really low impact style and he's not very exciting, but if you don't get him acclimated to the nhl this season you've likely stood in his way rather than developed him properly. he didn't play a full season of hockey last year because we were half on the gas and half on the brake with him. we either need to stop jerking him around or put him in the lineup full time. in a sense he has been given the keys to that third pairing position, but in another sense there's more pressure on him than ever because if he allows bean to pass him or forsling to make a better impression, he's likely totally out of the prospect picture moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00