CCHL 2016/2017 Season

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It looks like there is a loophole and I'm sure many others would like to know how it's done.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
The Colts’ roster has 24 players including an AP, V. Robillard. This AP player has been with the team since Sept. 4, played his 11th game on Nov. 13 and has now played 20 games with the Colts. It was my understanding that 10 games are the maximum games for an AP player & once the maximum is exceeded the player has to remain with the higher team. But why are the Colts allowed to exceed the 23 player maximum after Jan. 10? Is this a loophole that the Colts ownership are using to their advantage?

As an aside, what team is Robillard affiliated? Elite Propsects don’t show him playing for any other team this season besides the Colts.

I counted 24 for CP and Cumberland as well so they must be doing the same. Those are only two rosters besides Cornwall so maybe all teams do it. Ottawa,Hawkesbury, Kemptville same as well. A lot have one goalie in active roster.

Last edited:

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
I suspect pointstreak rosters are updated by teams. Some teams probably don't keep them updated. There are probably official rosters with the league. They would be on a "need to know" basis. Kind of like the financials. :laugh:

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
I suspect pointstreak rosters are updated by teams. Some teams probably don't keep them updated. There are probably official rosters with the league. They would be on a "need to know" basis. Kind of like the financials. :laugh:

Agreed, the issue is Pointstreak not being updated, there is no conspiracy out there letting CP, CMB or any other teams roster more players than they can. You need to remember that PS is used to generate some of the game day stat sheets that you get at the gate, so a team might put an AP on there for a specific game and then not take them off. I believe the official roster is held in RinkNet which only the teams and a select few have access to.

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Agreed, the issue is Pointstreak not being updated, there is no conspiracy out there letting CP, CMB or any other teams roster more players than they can. You need to remember that PS is used to generate some of the game day stat sheets that you get at the gate, so a team might put an AP on there for a specific game and then not take them off. I believe the official roster is held in RinkNet which only the teams and a select few have access to.

Pointstreak is not an official roster list, it includes APs....and some teams keep it up to date more than others. All teams are restricted by Hockey Canada to a max of 23 rostered players from Jan 10th so right know none have more than 23. CCHL has a 23 man roster limit all season with the ability to bump up for a very short time or due to a long term injury.

The league also keeps official lists on Rinknet which all teams have access to that includes rostered, APs and other protected players.

Terry Nichols

Johnny 2K8

Oct 23, 2008
No surprise thus far in the playoffs. Looks like all the favorites will move on. Only series that could go the distance is Haw/Kemp.

cp57

Apr 13, 2016
braves coach done

it's a one and done for cb as coach of the braves. when traylen introduced him last year he said this guy is a really good coach. he is better at it than me! looks like new coach will be jw. I'm sure this will help draw kids to the high performance hockey academy. another money maker for dt. there is a video on the braves website about their hockey academy and dt is quoted as saying "Wayne Simmonds did exceptionally well in our program"! Simmonds played for the braves in 05/06, long before this owner came to town. dt also says Brockville lives, eats, sleeps and breathes the Brockville braves, our attendance is one of the best in the league. since he took over their attendance has been cut in half.

RamJet

Nov 15, 2007
PLK Turnaround

With the PLK surprise finish does anybody see any changes being made in order to turn the ship around in 2017?

Absolutely Not! Very sad indeed when SK left the PLK at the new ownership press conference SK said that he has left this team set-up for the next 3 years... D McT & PM traded every asset that PLK had. Now we are seeing the results of those trades. So unfortunately with only 2 players officially leaving the team at seasons end, PLK are stuck with the same team. Much easier to attract players to a National Championship team than a last place team. I stand corrected but I believe this is only the 3rd time in history the PLK have ended up in last place. With a huge number of long time (25 years plus) season ticket holders taking the wait & see approach for next year, it will be interesting to see what happens next season.

valleyboy

Feb 10, 2015
righting the ship

Absolutely Not! Very sad indeed when SK left the PLK at the new ownership press conference SK said that he has left this team set-up for the next 3 years... D McT & PM traded every asset that PLK had. Now we are seeing the results of those trades. So unfortunately with only 2 players officially leaving the team at seasons end, PLK are stuck with the same team. Much easier to attract players to a National Championship team than a last place team. I stand corrected but I believe this is only the 3rd time in history the PLK have ended up in last place. With a huge number of long time (25 years plus) season ticket holders taking the wait & see approach for next year, it will be interesting to see what happens next season.

Not quite how I see things unfolding but it will be interesting...

Previous ownership did set them up. SK was amazing.

First it should be noted that there is a huge difference between 'assets' being traded as has been suggested; and fine young men deciding to play for other teams in other leagues, picks not reporting, vets deciding to move on to college or university with eligibility remaining, asking for a trade and the other half of the trade saying 'no thanks' and not reporting... Throw in a few ice time and press favors for some old cronies and you have a big talent problem - last place clarifies that this did happen. Probably not trades or bad kids... an exodus. Good kids saying 'no thanks!'

Hockey people know why what happened happens. It's sort of like calling a 15 year old kid an asset vs. calling him a fine young man with a bright future. Yes you own a card... its how you treat the person who's name is on that card. If done properly he can become a tremendous, lasting, asset to the organization; forever preaching and praising the gospel of his tremendous hockey and life experience. My guess is the Kings have at least partially recognized and worked on this problem this season - their transaction list implies that they are trying. The coaching staff are former players - history and pride should eventually be restored. Whether they have reached out to no show picks and kids who left for other leagues and teams is a good question. It is probably a good next step to repair damage done. Word travels fast.

On the other hand a Kings CCHL 11 team is supposedly in the works in Cobden or Beachburg so I doubt new ownership gets it quite yet. Is it going to be a punishment tool? Is it to disrupt minor hockey programs and ice time? Who is actually going to pay to play CCHL 11? That well will dry up fast. I can imagine a Jr. A player being sent down from Pembroke driving through Cobden - going at least 50km/h on their way home to start contacting teams in other leagues. This is an organization that needs to focus on one thing, fielding a top tier Jr. A hockey team.

If a rookie player goes stomping all over a small carpet with your team logo boldly embossed on it, that is placed in the middle of your dressing room, while wearing muddy shoes. Rookie punishment would include fessing up, apologizing, cleaning the carpet, taking the time to understand what the carpets crest is about - people, values, a town, and hockey. Then the kid would do a whole lot of skating and contribute to a special event fund that builds over the course of the season as other young men make mistakes. That's Jr. Hockey. What has happened to the Pembroke Lumber Kings is with SK they were a premier Canadian Junior hockey factory and then he handed over a torch so to speak. Unfortunately there has been a bit of a shaky start since the torch has been handed over. My guess is SK is saddened by this. Hockily speaking is owning a Jr. Hockey team like Pembroke supposed to be primarily about money? At least for the first two years, post SK, the Lumber Kings seemed like a lot like a cross between an expensive minor hockey team (pay to play), and high pressure used car sales when you include U18, and the CDHL package. There is some talent and was talent during the past two years but the perception to locals is its been primarily about generating revenue from young men's parents. Pay to play sounds a lot like a minor hockey system. I'm not convinced that you can have it both ways. It's more likely some kids will pay and some won't. What you are left with is a mediocre hockey league. Who cares anyway right... they are making money as long as they fill all of those 'cards'. Just kidding. If I had the bucks I wouldn't own a Jr hockey team for that reason.

Righting the ship will require an impressive effort by PLK staff - coaches, management, scouts - to reach out to potential players and describe what their role would be with next years team and moving forward. Build trust, then follow through. I suspect that most of the talent that shows up next fall for the Kings won't be paying customers.

Godin22

Mar 6, 2017
Not quite how I see things unfolding but it will be interesting...

Previous ownership did set them up. SK was amazing.

First it should be noted that there is a huge difference between 'assets' being traded as has been suggested; and fine young men deciding to play for other teams in other leagues, picks not reporting, vets deciding to move on to college or university with eligibility remaining, asking for a trade and the other half of the trade saying 'no thanks' and not reporting... Throw in a few ice time and press favors for some old cronies and you have a big talent problem - last place clarifies that this did happen. Probably not trades or bad kids... an exodus. Good kids saying 'no thanks!'

Hockey people know why what happened happens. It's sort of like calling a 15 year old kid an asset vs. calling him a fine young man with a bright future. Yes you own a card... its how you treat the person who's name is on that card. If done properly he can become a tremendous, lasting, asset to the organization; forever preaching and praising the gospel of his tremendous hockey and life experience. My guess is the Kings have at least partially recognized and worked on this problem this season - their transaction list implies that they are trying. The coaching staff are former players - history and pride should eventually be restored. Whether they have reached out to no show picks and kids who left for other leagues and teams is a good question. It is probably a good next step to repair damage done. Word travels fast.

On the other hand a Kings CCHL 11 team is supposedly in the works in Cobden or Beachburg so I doubt new ownership gets it quite yet. Is it going to be a punishment tool? Is it to disrupt minor hockey programs and ice time? Who is actually going to pay to play CCHL 11? That well will dry up fast. I can imagine a Jr. A player being sent down from Pembroke driving through Cobden - going at least 50km/h on their way home to start contacting teams in other leagues. This is an organization that needs to focus on one thing, fielding a top tier Jr. A hockey team.

If a rookie player goes stomping all over a small carpet with your team logo boldly embossed on it, that is placed in the middle of your dressing room, while wearing muddy shoes. Rookie punishment would include fessing up, apologizing, cleaning the carpet, taking the time to understand what the carpets crest is about - people, values, a town, and hockey. Then the kid would do a whole lot of skating and contribute to a special event fund that builds over the course of the season as other young men make mistakes. That's Jr. Hockey. What has happened to the Pembroke Lumber Kings is with SK they were a premier Canadian Junior hockey factory and then he handed over a torch so to speak. Unfortunately there has been a bit of a shaky start since the torch has been handed over. My guess is SK is saddened by this. Hockily speaking is owning a Jr. Hockey team like Pembroke supposed to be primarily about money? At least for the first two years, post SK, the Lumber Kings seemed like a lot like a cross between an expensive minor hockey team (pay to play), and high pressure used car sales when you include U18, and the CDHL package. There is some talent and was talent during the past two years but the perception to locals is its been primarily about generating revenue from young men's parents. Pay to play sounds a lot like a minor hockey system. I'm not convinced that you can have it both ways. It's more likely some kids will pay and some won't. What you are left with is a mediocre hockey league. Who cares anyway right... they are making money as long as they fill all of those 'cards'. Just kidding. If I had the bucks I wouldn't own a Jr hockey team for that reason.

Righting the ship will require an impressive effort by PLK staff - coaches, management, scouts - to reach out to potential players and describe what their role would be with next years team and moving forward. Build trust, then follow through. I suspect that most of the talent that shows up next fall for the Kings won't be paying customers.

Absolutely great perspective on things going on in Pembroke. They certainly have work to do to reclaim their status as a CCHL powerhouse. The real lack of top end scorers really hurts them but if they can ice a group of guys who will play for each other and really buy into a good system there is no doubt they should at least be able to hit the playoffs next year.

The team this year I found had its bright spots at times but they were few and far between. I would love to see a bit more consistency next year and a bit more accountability from the players. Nevertheless, the team is young and the players called up from the U18 AAA Kings seem to play well down the stretch so there might be some hope.

Also, some credit has to be given to their young goaltender from Petawawa. He is an excellent player with size and skill in the crease. If he had a team in front of him I think he would easily rank among the best in the league. He had a rough start here and there but has certainly stole some games that Pembroke had no business being in. For example look no further than Pembroke's last road victory of the season in Cumberland. The kid stopped over 50 shots and was the main reason Pembroke ended up with two points and was able to help play spoiler.

I agree that the CCHL2 move seems rather odd given that they have a hard time filling out a competitive Jr. A team and now have to scramble to solidify two rosters. The team did have a lot of injuries and roster moves this season so maybe its about organizational depth, but again I thought the U18 AAA kings did fine in their showings and served admirably in their many callups, especially CG in the kings final few games.

Overall, I agree and I believe you are right though, they have lots of work to do when it comes to righting the ship. They have a few pieces but the puzzle is far from complete for the next few years.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Is there a CCHL Draft again this season for the 16-17-18 year olds that aren't drafted, like last season?

Or just a Bantam draft?

Godin22

Mar 6, 2017
So McTavish is back behind the bench in Pembroke (via the Kings Facebook Page):

"McTavish Back Behind the Bench
Dale McTavish, Owner and President of the Pembroke Lumber Kings, is back as the Head Coach. After missing the play offs this past season, McTavish certainly takes some responsibility for the team's lack of success. He is looking forward to being on the front lines with the players once again where he feels most confident and comfortable. With this change, former Head Coach, Sean Crozier, was offered an alternate position with the organization which he declined. The Lumber Kings thank Sean for his years of service with the organization as an Assistant Coach, Assistant General Manager, and Head Coach. They wish him the best with his future endeavours."

I think this is a step backwards but ultimately the Kings need to have a good summer recruiting before the consequences of this move really begins to matter.

BFD

Jan 14, 2013
I have nothing against the new higher for the Braves head coach but lets be honest there is one reason only for this person getting the job. $$$$$ They say they have a International Hockey Academy in Brockville. What better way to sell that then to have a Ex NHL player running the show.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
I have nothing against the new higher for the Braves head coach but lets be honest there is one reason only for this person getting the job. $$$$$ They say they have a International Hockey Academy in Brockville. What better way to sell that then to have a Ex NHL player running the show.

I'd say that is one reason but far from being the only reason. "Lets be honest"

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
Fred Page Cup Contenders

Host: Terrebonne (lhjaaaq)

Maritimes (MJHL): Miramichi versus Truro.
Miramichi swept their series with Summerside 4-0. In the other semi-final, Truro wins over Amherst
4-1.Miramichi has the extra home game.

Quebec (lhjaaaq): Terrebonne versus Longueuil.
Longueuil have won their series 4-1 with St. Leonard. Terrebonne wins over Granby 4-2. As Terrebonne won their semi-final series, Longueui will also be at the Fred Page Cup as the league representative. Terrebonne has the extra home game.

CCHL: Carleton Place versus Ottawa Jr. Senators

All three series oncluding the CCHL commence Saturday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad