Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] Pierre-Luc Dubois and 2022 3rd round for Patrik Laine (26% retained) and Jack Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Weren't Winnipeg fans telling us Laine was a good two-way player and has been improving every year? Why do people think he wouldn't play for Torts? I thought the main concern for him was his usage.

Ya but there wasn't really anything to back that up, it's usually what people say when a guy's scoring goes down. I don't consider him a floater though but that doesn't mean he's good defensively but I think he'll get a good opportunity under Torts, he does play hard.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Center is the most important position on hockey and WPG is now strong and deep with big powerful very good centers.

good point, but Laine is bigger and better and produced 0.817 PPG while Dubois produced 0.665 PPG I am not sure who has better intangibles and defensive play. I think Laine + retained salary for Dubois + 3rd round is fair, not sure why Roslovic was thrown in as a bonus.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Panarin was a much better and more complete player than Laine is. That you’d even make the comparison says a lot.

I’ve been watching Laine since his draft year, Torts isn’t going to put up with his lackadaisical play without the puck on his stick.

Laine is more like a Gaborik, and despite Gab being very productive in NY, we know their relationship was a ticking time bomb held together by a good leadership group like Richards, Lundqvist, Callahan, Dubinsky (who took the fall a year later and got traded), Girardi, etc.

Hopefully Torts learned from that mistake.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Panarin was a much better and more complete player than Laine is. That you’d even make the comparison says a lot.

I’ve been watching Laine since his draft year, Torts isn’t going to put up with his lackadaisical play without the puck on his stick.
Not disagreeing with your first sentence, however the bolded sentence contradicts itself. You have not watched Laine at all if you claim that about his play without the puck. None, not after his rookie season anyway.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Laine playing under torts.... Lol

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Not disagreeing with your first sentence, however the bolded sentence contradicts itself. You have not watched Laine at all if you claim that about his play without the puck. None, not after his rookie season anyway.

I would say he redeemed himself in that regard in the 2019-2020 season.

Reactions: LOFIN

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I was just saying that Laine will probably need therapy playing for torts if he had issues with maurice.
Over these a few years I haven't seen any talk about Laine having issues with Maurice's personality. It has been all about his usage in the Jets lineup. There's been gossip about a problem with Wheeler, again related to usage, but that too is different.

I mean, has any player ever had a personal issue with Maurice...? He's the opposite of Torts.

We'll see soon enough how it actually goes in Columbus. :popcorn:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Just like Panarin was?

Far from a forgone conclusion Laine and Torts will butt heads but just because he worked out with Panarin doesn't mean he will with Laine. Also did I miss something or did Panarin leave money on the table to walk at the first opportunity to do so?

I think Laine will be fine but bad argument.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
No way I can read 39 pages worth... :)

I'm sad to see PLD move on. Really thought CBJ finally had some strength up the middle. I think he's a perfect fit as the 2C+ for the Jets. He plays a 200ft game (ignoring his shit fit this year) and can be a nightmare to handle. He isn't the most creative but he's still a low end 1C that playing in a 2C role should flourish. Obviously had to be moved...

That said, I love the return. Certainly a risk with Laine but if he signs long term (no idea his thoughts but we'll know as the season moves on) and if Roslovic can play a middle 6 C, I think the CBJ will be fine up the middle. Alexander Texier has been outstanding as a first year C and he plays the game the right way with a little more skill than PLD (not the size or strength). Roslovic should have no problem playing in Columbus long term and both he and Laine add speed and skill. And Columbus now has an elite player to push others down the lineup. I'm interested to see who he plays with, how he gels and if he grows an affinity for Columbus. Coming with Jack, he should have some inside info.

Deal could be a huge steal for Columbus but there are certainly some high risk "ifs" tied to this one. Looking forward to it

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I dont think Stastny is a 2C moving forward anymore and that WPG was comfortable with having their team structured with him there for them to be successful
Giving up Laine and Roslovic? Who's going to score from the wing besides Connor and Ehlers?Wheeler is treading into 35 old man territory!Are they going to fill Laine spot with Vesalainen? Ouch! PS I agree that Stastny isn't the player he once was...

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Far from a forgone conclusion Laine and Torts will butt heads but just because he worked out with Panarin doesn't mean he will with Laine. Also did I miss something or did Panarin leave money on the table to walk at the first opportunity to do so?

I think Laine will be fine but bad argument.
Yes he did, he had better offers from both CBJ and also Colorado (the latter as in better AAV, shorter contract). It was his modeling GF who said we are going to NYC.

Reactions: Voight

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I feel like the Jets overpaid on this one, but will ultimately be the happier team with the deal. They get the centre and rid themselves of the bigger problem. I think PLD will do well there. My main concern is how well Laine gels with Torts. If that goes sideways, which I feel it will, this could end up as a disaster for CBJ.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Winnipeg paid the price for a centre, but somehow I still don’t think this will work out great for Columbus.

I think this deal makes the Jets better and the Bluejackets worse. So I have to disagree that this is a bad trade for the Jets. I think the Jets gave up more but the team will be better. I don't see how this makes the Bluejackets better with literally the worst Center depth in the NHL. I also don't think this is a good fit for Laine and he will want our soon.

Reactions: Guardian17

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Good Gracious. First Anderson for Domi. Now there sending the best 2 way center in the league (imop) to the Jets for a problem child in Laine. I dont get it unless its something internal that im missing. I was high on the Jackets Gm , But this is ridiculous.
What did you just say?

Did you not see PLD's defensive effort the other night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad