Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] Pierre-Luc Dubois and 2022 3rd round for Patrik Laine (26% retained) and Jack Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
How is Laine the bigger headache? :D :D :D PLD quit on his team and is the guy who demanded a trade. Have you read the news last couple of days? I`m actually not amazed that theese comments all the time comes from the same area.

My opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

Might be wrong, might be right.

If you are constantly amazed by other people's opinions that differ from yours, maybe the issue lies with your thought process? Nah, that can't be it, right????

Laughable.

Reactions: Jetland162702

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Kinda funny all the time all the complaining of Laine not having a center now to go to a team with the worst center depth in the league and that Trots effect. This will be fun ;)

Reactions: north49er

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm excited to see how this turns out in the end. Face value Columbus wins because Laine is a better player than Dubois. Roslovic should be worth more than a third too.

But when you dig into the deal it's so messy. Columbus's center situation is pretty bad now. Texier, Roslovic and Domi are good but none of them should be your 1C if you're hoping to compete. Furthermore if Laine didn't like living in Winnipeg and playing for Maurice, I'm not sure that Columbus won't just walk into another PLD situation. It's also been reports that Laine wasn't happy not being "the guy" in Winnipeg so at least he'll be that in Columbus and with a Finnish GM maybe he's more inclined to negotiate.

On the Winnipeg side of things it's also unclear how happy Dubois will be. Maurice doesn't exactly coddle his players and if he didn't like living in Columbus I can't imagine Winnipeg is going to be much better. But we're also unsure of exactly what Dubois's problem was so it may have been something more Columbus specific than the coach or location. He's in a Canadian market and his Dad is there so it's feasible he'll be happier.

Ultimately the team that wins this trade is the one that gets their player to stay put. As a fan it's almost impossible to say if that's likely in either case... But I have a bad feeling for everyone involved.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
So many bad takes.
A second #1 center is what WPG has needed to win the Cup. (Unfortunately they lost their #1 D Buff in a bizarre fashion)

Laine is overrated, disappears in the playoffs, and they already have enough star wingers.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Far from a forgone conclusion Laine and Torts will butt heads but just because he worked out with Panarin doesn't mean he will with Laine. Also did I miss something or did Panarin leave money on the table to walk at the first opportunity to do so?

I think Laine will be fine but bad argument.
Not sure what this means but, yes, Panarin left money on the table as he wanted to play in NY. That's the way some are. People want to shit on Columbus but he had no issues here, loved it here and played like the elite player he is. He simply wanted to play in NY. To me, that shows he wasn't a money hungry jerk, truly wanted to play somewhere. He got along fine with Torts, as do most of the CBJ players. Great locker room so we'll get a feel for Laine pretty quickly. If he gives effort, he'll have rope. That's the Panarin comparison. Panarin always gave effort even if he did make mistakes. We're seeing similar growing pains with Alexander Texier. He's making mistakes but giving effort and improving.

Reactions: Viqsi and LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Torts will eat Laine alive. From Columbus' perspective, this trade is hilarious to me.
Why would he? Laine has been a pretty good player bothways since last season. Was the best forward in his only game he played so far in this season. He will do fine.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Best news of the day! Mulletman was saying that the Jets need to get rid of Paul Maurice and stop sandbagging Laine in order to sign him cheaper, but nodoby listened. NOBODY LISTENED!!

Still hope my Leafs can pull off some magic and trade Nylander to Columbus for Laine at the trade deadline! Would be awesome to see my Leafs destroy the Jets in the first round with Laine scoring every game against his former team! :nod:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not disagreeing with your first sentence, however the bolded sentence contradicts itself. You have not watched Laine at all if you claim that about his play without the puck. None, not after his rookie season anyway.

It most certainly does not. He’s barely an NHL player when he’s not in the offensive zone. It’s been a complaint about his game for years. When Torts doesn’t put up with it, don’t be surprised.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Agreed. Imo PLD is the classic 2 centre, who takes on the hard matchup role, and still puts up 60+ points. He’s a future Selke candidate. Great young player, but Laine is a great young player too.
He has a long way to go to be a "selke candidate".

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not sure what this means but, yes, Panarin left money on the table as he wanted to play in NY. That's the way some are. People want to shit on Columbus but he had no issues here, loved it here and played like the elite player he is. He simply wanted to play in NY. To me, that shows he wasn't a money hungry jerk, truly wanted to play somewhere. He got along fine with Torts, as do most of the CBJ players. Great locker room so we'll get a feel for Laine pretty quickly. If he gives effort, he'll have rope. That's the Panarin comparison. Panarin always gave effort even if he did make mistakes. We're seeing similar growing pains with Alexander Texier. He's making mistakes but giving effort and improving.
This is my point. When I was "comparing" Panarin to Laine I wasn't talking it like Laine was comparable to Panarin, clearly not lol (at least not yet ;)), but Panarin isn't exactly a two way grinding powerforward is he? But even when it was clear he was leaving CBJ, he gave his A-game and obviously had no issues with Tortorella. As long as Laine does the same (and I have no doubt he will, looking at his game from his past season and the one game so far), he will be fine.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Laine is going to soon realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: Tripod

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bold prediction: Laine will power struggle Torts out at the end of the season. Dubois will be content for a while but won't stay longterm because of the toxicity of the Jets locker room and the fact that he wont get the jump on Scheifele to be the #1C

I think both teams walk away weaker with this trade anyway

Reactions: Voight

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It most certainly does not. He’s barely an NHL player when he’s not in the offensive zone. It’s been a complaint about his game for years. When Torts doesn’t put up with it, don’t be surprised.
Great that you admitted that you have not watched Laine at all. Have a nice day.

Reactions: D Wakaluk and Stubu

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Yes he did, he had better offers from both CBJ and also Colorado (the latter as in better AAV, shorter contract). It was his modeling GF who said we are going to NYC.

All it means is there's literally no way of knowing what Torts on Panarin's relationship was, and Panarin never chose to play for him. I'm not saying it was bad all I'm saying is we don't know they got along like gangbusters and that it has nothing to do with Laine either way. If he signed with Columbus then we would be able to point to it otherwise it's just feelings.

I do not want to shit on Columbus I've been very supportive of them this entire thread, just thought it was a bad point to make.

Reactions: Voight

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think this deal makes the Jets better and the Bluejackets worse. So I have to disagree that this is a bad trade for the Jets. I think the Jets gave up more but the team will be better. I don't see how this makes the Bluejackets better with literally the worst Center depth in the NHL. I also don't think this is a good fit for Laine and he will want our soon.

I agree some. CBJ didnt exactly have much to say here as PLD mailed it in and requested a trade. After giving up on his coach and teammates JK had to trade him fast and for the best deal available. Jets got the better fit, but traded the better player atm. This could ofc change in the future. Now Jarmo got better pieces to either use now or trade. I bet teams with C-depth would pay well if JK decided to trade Laine. No team with good centers trade one for a center who has issues in his team. Especially for one who clearly wanted to go to Canada.
JK had clearly talked to Laine before pulling the thrigger and I bet Laine knew where he was beeing traded, so I`m not sold on Laine wanting out again. Laines biggest issue was usage and ice-time. He will get it in Columbus.

Reactions: Stubu

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
I have zero doubt that PLD will be better for the Jets than Laine was. In the long term, I think Columbus got worse, especially when it's unlikely Laine will resign.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Over these a few years I haven't seen any talk about Laine having issues with Maurice's personality. It has been all about his usage in the Jets lineup. There's been gossip about a problem with Wheeler, again related to usage, but that too is different.

I mean, has any player ever had a personal issue with Maurice...? He's the opposite of Torts.

We'll see soon enough how it actually goes in Columbus. :popcorn:

The way i see it Marurice just probably takes mins away from Laine

Torts will not only take mins awya from Laine but also yell at him and that too publically on the bench :laugh:

cant wait for torts losing his shit when laine floats out there

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Leaf fans hate of Laine is so funny. Columbus won this trade, no contest. PLD is going to montreal and Barkov is going to be CBJ in summer 2022 with Laine. Winnipeg did not learn eanything from Selanne trade. Housley to Selanne, Werenski to Laine ❤️

Reactions: Voight and jonlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->