LeBrun: CBJ Willing to Move D for F

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Duchene was available and would have been perfect. CBJ has the pieces and could have got this done.

Not much else is available. Few teams need LHD besides the Habs - Galy.
I would have liked to seen Duchene acquired by the Jackets, but I think the price was a bit steep.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Duchene was available and would have been perfect. CBJ has the pieces and could have got this done.

Not much else is available. Few teams need LHD besides the Habs - Galy.

Duchene would have fit perfectly, however the price to be paid was too steep.

If you translate what Colorado got in return from OTT/NSH, but only from Columbus, it would have equated to Wennberg, Carlsson, 1st, Abramov and a 3rd. Hard pass.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I know that it's splitting hairs but Leivo has actually played 46 games and has scored 9 times.

My point still stands. Someone with that stat line in his draft +7 year is probably not going to be the impact player CBJ is looking for.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
get rid of Nielsen's contract, trade JJ at the TDL for picks perhaps?
Absolutely if Columbus is willing to accept this deal, but I don't think they have any interest in Nielson's contract. Detroit would have to retain some of Nielson's contract, and Detroit would probably be looking to flip Johnson right away if it were to happen.
I think there are better suitors for each of these players (a team with cap space who'd want a player like Nielson; a team looking at a playoff run with Johnson).

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
That's too much for a rental, I think. It's not as Johnson is an elite defenseman.
No chance that trade could get any elite defenseman. If the leafs were okay to part with uncle leo:
Komarov + Fehr + Rychel for Johnson + (late pick) could work.
Not very impressed with Rychel but who knows, maybe he could assist Columbus's 4th line like he did in 2015-2016 as a 21 year old before being traded to the leafs.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Why though? Toronto is stacked in forwards and that B prospect is also lost in the quality of their pool. Getting a good UFA rental (= nothing that disrupts next season's salary) would surely be valued by them?

Yes, you're right, but I think he should be acquired at a lower price, an idea which is advantageous for the Leafs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To Columbus:
Leo Komarov
Eric Fehr
B Prospect (IE: Bracco, Nielsen, Rychel)

To Toronto:
Jack Johnsson

A surprisingly large number of the wrong kinds of assets. Depth wingers are so very not a thing we need.

* * *​
I really do not think Detroit would make a trade for this rental player, doesn't make sense.
The only way it makes sense to me is the presumption that JJ would immediately and gleefully resign up there, since he's got previous ties to the area and loves the Midwest.

That and the theory that maybe we could get Nyquist playing C again.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Absolutely if Columbus is willing to accept this deal, but I don't think they have any interest in Nielson's contract. Detroit would have to retain some of Nielson's contract, and Detroit would probably be looking to flip Johnson right away if it were to happen.
I think there are better suitors for each of these players (a team with cap space who'd want a player like Nielson; a team looking at a playoff run with Johnson).

JJ played at UofM and grew up in Michigan.
Holland once called him a mixture of Lidstrom and Konstantinov.

Holland would sign JJ in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad