LeBrun: CBJ Willing to Move D for F

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Would CBJ be interested in Nelson from NYI? Nelson+ for Murray?

Please no, never been a fan of Murray. Also, don't see the point for the Isles. Isles need something more top end or at least hit an area of skill set needed.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I still think it needs to be reiterated that the Jackets need a center and don't really need any wings.

Top 6 Center is the main need. Most lines are interchangeable (more of a depth chart or something like that) but ideally we are looking at something like:

Panarin-xxxx-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Wennberg-Anderson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Calvert-Sedlak-Dubois
Motte

Milano-Schroeder/Dalpe-Hannikainen

All 8 of those starting wings are capable of playing in a top 9 position, and I am comfortable with the 4 spare players filling in on the bottom line.

Foligno, Jenner, Dubois, Dalpe, and Schroeder are capable of playing center, and all have this year - but playing them all at wing is probably preferable right now.

Who is for sale? Probably all D except Werenski and Jones, and all W except Foligno and Panarin. And Bob. Wildly varying values though. All futures are on the table too. Just missing a 2nd rounder in, I believe, 2019.

That is my opinion - I'm sure CBJ posters disagree with me, and feel less people are available, but Jarmo's mantra is "Gretzky got traded..." and I think any move to improve the team would be considered.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
JJ played at UofM and grew up in Michigan.
Holland once called him a mixture of Lidstrom and Konstantinov.

Holland would sign JJ in a heartbeat.
If that's the case then why not wait until the 2018 offseason to sign him. Sure if there is a good offer avalible

That being said, why wouldn't Holland wait until the 2018 offseason to either sign, or trade for and sign Johnson (Like dallas and carolina did with bishop and darling; before they hit the open market). It's not like they would being to just dump Nielson's contract to get him, they'd need give up something of significance. They should not be desperate to get him now when they are not yet a contender.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
A surprisingly large number of the wrong kinds of assets. Depth wingers are so very not a thing we need.

* * *​

The only way it makes sense to me is the presumption that JJ would immediately and gleefully resign up there, since he's got previous ties to the area and loves the Midwest.

That and the theory that maybe we could get Nyquist playing C again.
I'm assuming by Columbus looking to move a d for a forward, they are specifically looking for a top 6 center or rw?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm assuming by Columbus looking to move a d for a forward, they are specifically looking for a top 6 center or rw?
Top-6 center. At RW, we already have Atkinson, Anderson, and Bjorkstrand. To some extent we can afford to try out guys swapping between wing and center because we've got a few such guys already who have hot/cold moments and so we'd get a few more useful options that way. But the ideal objective is really another C.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Anthony Duclair can't seem to get a fair shot in Arizona despite being more productive than the majority of our forwards. He seems to be the only guy on the roster who actually has to deal with consequences. Everyone else gets a pass, even if they're less effective hockey players. As a Coyotes fan, I'm sick of it and actually want to see him traded so he can go succeed elsewhere. I think he's a dangerous winger who has several >20g NHL seasons in his future. Just not in AZ.

Our blueline has been an absolute tire-fire and I'd love to add another piece to the mix. Any piece to the mix. We need so, so much help.

County Cork Ireland?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
How are the minutes being distributed amongst the Jackets D this year? Torts only plays the guys he likes, so a check of those stats will tell you exactly who is available for trade.

I know JJ used to play a ton of minutes, but I think he's gone down no?

I never understood the deal with that guys game, he always played a ton of minutes but had a horrible plus minus. Also, he had been a 40 pt. guy in the NHL before, with all those minutes it always seemed to me that he was seriously underperforming offensively. A defenseman who is on the ice that much, should have a good amount of rush assists over the course of a season, even sending guys in for empty netters or the occasional breakaway.

I always thought JJ's icetime, point totals and plus-minus added up to one weird player, do any long-time Jackets observers care to comment and enlighten me as to what the deal with that guy is?

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Top-6 cen

ter. At RW, we already have Atkinson, Anderson, and Bjorkstrand. To some extent we can afford to try out guys swapping between wing and center because we've got a few such guys already who have hot/cold moments and so we'd get a few more useful options that way. But the ideal objective is really another C.
How about Shipachyov ... :jk:
Just throwing some names, any of : Bozak, Galchenyuk, Henrique, Tyler Johnson, Sam Reinhart, vegas c?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Would love to see something built around Wennberg + for Barkov.
If only...

How are the minutes being distributed amongst the Jackets D this year? Torts only plays the guys he likes, so a check of those stats will tell you exactly who is available for trade.

I know JJ used to play a ton of minutes, but I think he's gone down no?

I never understood the deal with that guys game, he always played a ton of minutes but had a horrible plus minus. Also, he had been a 40 pt. guy in the NHL before, with all those minutes it always seemed to me that he was seriously underperforming offensively. A defenseman who is on the ice that much, should have a good amount of rush assists over the course of a season, even sending guys in for empty netters or the occasional breakaway.

I always thought JJ's icetime, point totals and plus-minus added up to one weird player, do any long-time Jackets observers care to comment and enlighten me as to what the deal with that guy is?
Torts and Shaw have pretty much used him as a shutdown D. And he's played a lot better when he's not depended on to play 25+ minutes. Werenski, Jones and Murray have been getting majority of the PP time while Jones, Murray, Savard and Johnson split the PK time.

I'm curious as to what a package of Johnson, Milano and a '18 first would fetch.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Basically what I said, thats for rehashing my point.
No it isn't. I said they would not make this trade because Johnson is a rental player. You said they wouldn't make this trade IF it were for nyquist....
not because Johnson is a rental player; so we have different points. I never specifically refereed to Nyquist as being the reason why the trade would not happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad