GDT: CBJ vs. Chicago - The No Clever Header Thread - 2/25 7 PM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He had 17 g 27 a .. what’s he on pace for here ?

Which is decent but nowhere near the guy you’re implying he is.

I know everything is Torts fault all the time with you, but when is it ever on the player to, you know, play well? Even if he’s not scoring he’s not doing anything. He was supposed to be a pest. He was supposed to always gets under other guys skin and drag people into the fight. Have you seen that guy? I haven’t. That’s on him.

And if anyone tries to bail him out and say “it’s because there is no fans” then I’m going to lose it. This is like the 30th game he’s played in front of no fans now. It’s on him to find a way to motivate himself to play hockey. It’s long passed due.

Im not trying to Absolve torts either. Clearly it’s not working and clearly he’s going to be moving on after this year. But there comes a time where the player bares responsibility too, and that’s not just for Domi either. Domi was literally handed the second line C job with zero camp and zero ability to play the position, got promoted to 1C after the PLDouche deal, and still didn’t do anything. He’s had minutes. New linemates. PP time. Nothing has worked. That’s on him.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Sitting here disgusted with myself that I shelled out another $100 plus for NHL package on DirecTV. The Laine trade roped me in. Like a sucker. Every year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I refuse to agree with all this “season is over” crap. Yes, we underperformed, but this team ain’t finished, there’s potential.

Just believe

What is funny about it is that they have almost the same exact record as they did 21 games into last year.

Look at how they started last season.

I thought Gavrikov and MDZ were pretty awful tonight.

Other than that I thought we were pretty good. Just didn’t score.

Yep, I hope I don't see that pairing again.

Agreed, they should have had a few tonight.

It’s no secret we’re not good so I’m not even mad. The rest of the season is getting our young guys in a position to succeed, getting Jones and Werenski going, and getting our trade bait (MDZ, Nash, Savard, maybe Foligno?) going in order to get maximum return.

Also getting Elvis back and having a true battle for the job would be nice too.

The bad news is we don’t even have a draft to fall back on. There won’t be one this year and there’s no help on the way in terms of prospects on the brink of coming up (unless you count Peeke).

You might be right, I don't know if they can pull this out, but just so you know you've done this routine like every year including last year. I take it as our good luck charm.

I'm not sure if the timing of the draft matters at all. They're not going to just use next year's record to set the draft order instead. If the Jackets end up with a bad record we still get a draft, just maybe later in the year. No one from this draft class is going to make the NHL that quick anyways. Actually if they somehow combine it into one super draft in 2022 and use the combined record to determine the order, I'd be fine with that. The 2022 draft class is much better. I'm not going to be enjoying any losses this year, the draft class isn't good enough to make a high pick worth it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The whole team wasn't hustling. They have no balls. They come out guns blazing in the first, hit two posts and they fold like a cheap suit. Call it lack of confidence or whatever but Laine is not the problem.
I'm only talking about this match. Look at his Corsi, the quiet horror. He should be the leader, pulling the team. I hope this was an exception. By the way, Roslovic with Atkinson with Jenner was not a single chance to score.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
What is funny about it is that they have almost the same exact record as they did 21 games into last year.

Look at how they started last season.

Yep, I hope I don't see that pairing again.

Agreed, they should have had a few tonight.

You might be right, I don't know if they can pull this out, but just so you know you've done this routine like every year including last year. I take it as our good luck charm.

I'm not sure if the timing of the draft matters at all. They're not going to just use next year's record to set the draft order instead. If the Jackets end up with a bad record we still get a draft, just maybe later in the year. No one from this draft class is going to make the NHL that quick anyways. Actually if they somehow combine it into one super draft in 2022 and use the combined record to determine the order, I'd be fine with that. The 2022 draft class is much better. I'm not going to be enjoying any losses this year, the draft class isn't good enough to make a high pick worth it.

Last years team wouldn’t have made it in without the COVID pause. They were beaten up and free falling. And they wouldn’t have had Bjorkstrand or Jones, who were two of their best players last year.

Time and time again they were able to have a ridiculous point streak to get out of this. They also got a lot of luck. Everyone’s number comes up eventually and this year is that year. They’re done this year. Not saying it’s hopeless going forward but it’s going to be a very interesting offseason.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And yet he's still not worth 5 million or has even been effective. He was better tonight and yet still squandered multiple scoring chances, he's been undeniably poor.
So Bjorkstrand that has had 36 points in each of last 2 seasons is ? Domi was down some last yr , prior to yr before where he posted 72 points , but a normal season Domi hits over 50 last yr . My main point was Bjork posted 11 g under torts his first yr , started next season super slow , and went on a bender last half of that second yr . And still his offensive production is horrible ... That’s a Torts thing . You put Bjork on most teams , he’s probably a 60 point player

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don`t think we have a bad team, IMHO we`ll better and better. But IMHo I would take some changes. I always think Domi would better center for Laine than Foligno. IMHO of course.

Btw, situation:
Teams - points with 21 matches - how many wins are needed
Tampa - 33 - 6
Florida 32 - 6
Carolina 29 - 5
Chicago 26 - 3
Dallas 26 - 3
Columbus 21 - 0
Nashville - 21 - 20 - -1
Detroit have 22 games

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So Bjorkstrand that has had 36 points in each of last 2 seasons is ? Domi was down some last yr , prior to yr before where he posted 72 points , but a normal season Domi hits over 50 last yr . My main point was Bjork posted 11 g under torts his first yr , started next season super slow , and went on a bender last half of that second yr . And still his offensive production is horrible ... That’s a Torts thing . You put Bjork on most teams , he’s probably a 60 point player

Yet you ignore my post asking why it’s only on Torts

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Bjorkstrand had 36 in 49 games last year, not 71 like Domi. Also Bjorkstrand has 16 points in 21 games, Domi has 7 points in 20. How are they even comparable? Seems to me Domi has just gotten worse and Bjork just keeps getting better. Oh and the eye test backs that up as well, not to mention Bjork is probably our best 5 v 5 player and Domi might be our worst.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Shitty.gif

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Bjorkstrand had 36 in 49 games last year, not 71 like Domi. Also Bjorkstrand has 16 points in 21 games, Domi has 7 points in 20. How are they even comparable? Seems to me Domi has just gotten worse and Bjork just keeps getting better. Oh and the eye test backs that up as well, not to mention Bjork is probably our best 5 v 5 player and Domi might be our worst.
Your missing the point .. Bjorkstrand was crippled by Torts and his micromanagement style , .. so much so he posted 11g that season , then started the first half of the next year with 6 g , closed the yr on a torrid pace .
What part of Domi being jerked around just like Bjork was , called out in media is not making you see the the parallel? That’s a coaching issue .. pure and simple.. Just like Wennberg who Torts micromanaged , called him out in press, what happened , he regressed as a player , refused to shoot . Guess what , he leaves here , is on pace for 25g in an 82 game season . So excuse me if I’m not going to ignore the patterns here , and jump on the Domi sucks bandwagon . The coach sucks , he doesn’t understand offense and admits it all the time in interviews . He doesn’t meet with players one on one , discipline is done in front of team .. not everyone responds to that as a player

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Your missing the point .. Bjorkstrand was crippled by Torts and his micromanagement style , .. so much so he posted 11g that season , then started the first half of the next year with 6 g , closed the yr on a torrid pace
What part of Domi being jerked around just like Bjork was , called out in media is not making you the the parallel? That’s a coaching issue .. pure and simple
You're attempting to make it a coaching issue yet all I see is pure regression. In fact the only argument you're making was that it's Domi's first year. Unfortunately I watched Bjork that year and that was some of the worst utilization of talent I've seen. He barely got minutes. Domi has gotten 1C duties, 1PP unit and plenty of ice time. Not even close to what Bjork got that year, almost everyone on this board was clamoring for him to play more. It's really quite the opposite with Domi. He's gotten nothing but a resounding suck from everyone who has watched him play. Was it also a coaching issue last year in MTL? There's a reason he's no longer in MTL and it looks like he hasn't gotten any better. No one is hoping he plays bad to prove a point, he's just been objectively bad and that's not on Torts. He's gotten opportunities and has routinely been a boat anchor on every line he's played on.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Last years team wouldn’t have made it in without the COVID pause. They were beaten up and free falling. And they wouldn’t have had Bjorkstrand or Jones, who were two of their best players last year.

Time and time again they were able to have a ridiculous point streak to get out of this. They also got a lot of luck. Everyone’s number comes up eventually and this year is that year. They’re done this year. Not saying it’s hopeless going forward but it’s going to be a very interesting offseason.

I'd like just a tiny bit of humility here. You throw in the towel right before they go 18-3-2, and your response to that is "yeah but they got lucky". I actually would agree this time that the fundamentals aren't good, but it's not like anything is impossible at this juncture.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You're attempting to make it a coaching issue yet all I see is pure regression. In fact the only argument you're making was that it's Domi's first year. Unfortunately I watched Bjork that year and that was some of the worst utilization of talent I've seen. He barely got minutes. Domi has gotten 1C duties, 1PP unit and plenty of ice time. Not even close to what Bjork got that year, almost everyone on this board was clamoring for him to play more. It's really quite the opposite with Domi. He's gotten nothing but a resounding suck from everyone who has watched him play. Was it also a coaching issue last year in MTL? There's a reason he's no longer in MTL and it looks like he hasn't gotten any better. No one is hoping he plays bad to prove a point, he's just been objectively bad and that's not on Torts. He's gotten opportunities and has routinely been a boat anchor on every line he's played on.
No... I’m saying it took Bjorkstrand 1.5 yrs to refine his game , after Torts the Colt trainer made it his mission to break and remold Bjorkstrand. Domi has been here what 20 games ?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'd like just a tiny bit of humility here. You throw in the towel right before they go 18-3-2, and your response to that is "yeah but they got lucky". I actually would agree this time that the fundamentals aren't good, but it's not like anything is impossible at this juncture.

They could go 18-3-2, or 23-0, or 0-23. But we both know these aren’t happening.

We know where this is likely going. Is it impossible for them to make a comeback? No. But it would require two other gears that this team doesn’t have. You even knowledge this in another thread when you say you see our centers and we “have a long way to go.”

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
No... I’m saying it took Bjorkstrand 1.5 yrs to refine his game , after Torts the Colt trainer made it his mission to break and remold Bjorkstrand. Domi has been here what 20 games ?
And I'm saying there's a big difference between both players. It's not that hard to see either. Bjork was a very young player who barely got ice time, has improved each and every year with more and more ice time. Domi put up a big year with MTL a couple years ago, had a rough year last year, got paid more money than he should have and isn't producing. One has simply gotten better over time and the other has regressed. Number don't lie. Look you can bookmark this post and come back to it at the end of the season and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if Domi turns out great but it's not looking good. 5 million dollar players a year should be at least 50+ points a year in an 82 game schedule, if not more. There's only so many excuses one can conjure before you realize it's a sunk cost.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Pretty good game for CBJ, but you have to score to win. At least three times hitting the pipes, 2 for Laine, 1 for Robinson.

Reactions: hn777

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
For my opinion this last two periods were lousy for whole team, only way (hopefully) is up for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad