GDT: CBJ vs Carolina or Jarmo vs. the Finn who got away 2-7-21

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wonder if Jarmo has filed the protest yet

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the league issue a point to the CBJ in the standings. Who knows if it being a 1 goal game is a deciding factor, but, it can’t hurt.

The league admitted THEY made a mistake and allowed a goal that shouldn’t have been allowed. CAR gets their 2 points either way and no other team is affected negatively or separately from the others if the CBJ is awarded a point, whereas the league has admitted that is not the case at the current moment regarding the CBJ and their team goals against stat. Take it a step further and the goal could/should be removed from the standings and the game considered a shoot out win.

Cannot wait for the team to go on the usual 6-1-3 CLUTCH run to end the year and for the usual “luckily crawled in” BS to be accompanied by “Jarmo and Torts needed the bogus free league point”.....

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He has no offensive upside at all. His peak offensive output MIGHT be 30 points.

If you're giving me 4-1 odds I'll bet on Foudy hitting 40 pts. He could be that complementary topliner type.

Let's remember that most of the league wasn't in the NHL at Foudy's age. He's obviously understrength right now.

Amazing input coming from someone who calls Wennberg an "Outstanding 3rd line NHL center"

"Outstanding" is maybe too much but Wennberg is pretty good at doing 3C things, especially keeping the other team off the board. He'll be in the league for a long time and CBJW's understanding of Wennberg's game is a lot more spot on than yours.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Take away both PLD& Domi and options for C are looking awfully thin.

Domi allowed Jarmo to take the best player possible over over focusing on position

Domi wasn't looking like a capable center at the time of the Laine trade. I think it was already becoming clear at that point that Domi was not a capable substitute for 1C or 2C.

Domi allowed the bluejackets to be able to absolutely fleece the Jets . PLD is not remotely in the same stratosphere as Laine .

:huh:

We'll start talking about fleecing when the team is better than what we had last year with PLD. Right now the transition game is a disaster (partly because no PLD) and the team is worse than at any point since 2015.

That and I think you maybe misunderstood about Domi. I highly highly doubt Jarmo ever thought that this trade was fine because of Domi. He got the best player he could get because a more fitting player wasn't available. The team obviously doesn't fit together and Jarmo will have to keep scrambling until it does.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Did anyone else catch that the Jackets scored four goals off of one-timers?

When has that happened?

I enjoyed the game.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Did anyone else catch that the Jackets scored four goals off of one-timers?

When has that happened?

I enjoyed the game.

One man can do just as much as one man can, but considering Laine arrived to the team, it would be weird there wouldn't effects to other guys shooting habits too. Laine's two goals also underlined that nicely. Teammates also saw in live how it goes when you can shoot with maximal force.

I was very concerned about Laine's shooting. Not any more. A long sought daily dose. What a dose it was!

Only referees managed to ruin the game.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the league issue a point to the CBJ in the standings. Who knows if it being a 1 goal game is a deciding factor, but, it can’t hurt.

No Bus, they are not awarding a hypothetical point

The league has made a complete fool of itself, not taking the shovel to dig a deeper hole

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you're giving me 4-1 odds I'll bet on Foudy hitting 40 pts. He could be that complementary topliner type.

Let's remember that most of the league wasn't in the NHL at Foudy's age. He's obviously understrength right now.

Complementary top liner type? The guy was barely a top liner on his junior team.

He's not completely useless offensively, he's got some skills when it comes to protecting the puck and driving the net. But when it comes to shooting and passing, the guy is an average third liner. I think his ceiling is a Carl Hagelin type, but his floor being similar to Matt Calvert, just not as physical.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Complementary top liner type? The guy was barely a top liner on his junior team.

He's not completely useless offensively, he's got some skills when it comes to protecting the puck and driving the net. But when it comes to shooting and passing, the guy is an average third liner. I think his ceiling is a Carl Hagelin type, but his floor being similar to Matt Calvert, just not as physical.

Foudy actually was a topliner in London for two straight years. You know who wasn't when he was in London? Josh Anderson, currently a complementary topliner in the NHL.

Speed is a wonderful gift, if he can improve his shot and get stronger he could be a great option to play with anyone.

Carl Hagelin ceiling seems reasonable to me, but that's also more than a 30 pt ceiling. Hagelin was a top six complement for a while in his mid 20s.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Foudy actually was a topliner in London for two straight years. You know who wasn't when he was in London? Josh Anderson, currently a complementary topliner in the NHL.

Speed is a wonderful gift, if he can improve his shot and get stronger he could be a great option to play with anyone.

Carl Hagelin ceiling seems reasonable to me, but that's also more than a 30 pt ceiling. Hagelin was a top six complement for a while in his mid 20s.

He was mostly around a 30 point player, and that is his ceiling. In my opinion.

Anderson had way more useful top line qualities. He has better speed, shot, size, and overall talent.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was mostly around a 30 point player, and that is his ceiling. In my opinion.

Anderson had way more useful top line qualities. He has better speed, shot, size, and overall talent.

Maybe. It's easy to say that now. I don't know how many people would have said that about Josh when he was Foudy's age, when he had 17 pts in the AHL.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The offside goal reminded me of the "Coulombs" incident in LA some years back... are we the most consistently screwed team when it comes to off-ice factors losing us games?

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
After watching three games I wouldn't say that CBJ issues lies in goalies, I would blame defence. If guys are losing puck at own zone like in this game even Hasek standing on his head couldn't do much in a long run.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
After watching three games I wouldn't say that CBJ issues lies in goalies, I would blame defence. If guys are losing puck at own zone like in this game even Hasek standing on his head couldn't do much in a long run.

Having watched about the same amount of games I disagree on that.
The forward core is so weak that they can’t keep the pressure up at all or get any kind of cycle going.
This leads to the Blue Jackets having to defend all the time. Any defense would look bad if the entire game was played in their end.

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
Could we say there is still some hope to make the POs though ?

We were maybe a bit unlucky yesterday (except that ugly / pathetic decision from the refs) because of those long distance shots that led to multiple goals against us.

Of course we are still bad, it's not making excuses or something, but at least Laine showed us he can change a game by himself :popcorn:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Having watched about the same amount of games I disagree on that.
The forward core is so weak that they can’t keep the pressure up at all or get any kind of cycle going.
This leads to the Blue Jackets having to defend all the time. Any defense would look bad if the entire game was played in their end.
It’s still good to remember that Carolina tends to do that to many teams. And Dallas has been also good last season and this season.

Sure CBJ isn’t going to be favorites to dominate against the best NHL teams, but I don’t see their play and the present roster as bad as you described in general. I have been watching them play quite a lot even before Laine was traded to Columbus. A sympathetic team with usually some Finnish players and a Finnish GM that I respect very much.

But I do definitely admit that they have had just recently a couple of pretty bad games looking like how you described.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It’s still good to remember that Carolina tends to do that to many teams. And Dallas has been also good last season and this season.

Sure CBJ isn’t going to be favorites to dominate against the best NHL teams, but I don’t see their play and the present roster as bad as you described in general. I have been watching them play quite a lot even before Laine was traded to Columbus. A sympathetic team with usually some Finnish players and a Finnish GM that I respect very much.

But I do definitely admit that they have had just recently a couple of pretty bad games looking like how you described.

What do you mean, doesn’t <5 games watched make me an expert? Anyway my response was in relation to the defense which I haven’t found bad at all like the previous poster thought.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
Torts .. perhaps Savard can sit .. since it’s now about merit determining who plays

if it's now about merit, what was it about before? Loyalty? Intuition? Dog-friendly?

Tex disappeared. Not better than Cam these last games. Which says a lot

I did not watch the game live but stupidly saw that CBJ had 4 goals (was 2 hours after the start). I was annoyed to know part of the score, but happy that they had won the game... Did not expect they would allow 6 goals.

Depressing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Didn't catch the game but I just saw the replay of the "Offsides". Clearly Trochek was offsides. The offsides had nothing directly to do with the goal. I think that rule has to be changed. Make it a not a reviewable offense.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Didn't catch the game but I just saw the replay of the "Offsides". Clearly Trochek was offsides. The offsides had nothing directly to do with the goal. I think that rule has to be changed. Make it a not a reviewable offense.

Agreed, but they should still enforce the rule properly & consistently until that time.

Reactions: EspenK

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Something to consider .. last 3 opponents are easily 3 of best teams in NHL.. Tampa, Dallas, Carolina ..tough sledding when you are breaking in new players , coach is changing lines and positions shift by shift, game by game .

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad