CBJ Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Omfg Tarasov

Good to see we are in a mid season form already

It's crazy they think Merzlikins-Tarasov is going to cover our needs in net.
I doubt they actually think that, but they painted themselves to a corner with long-term Elvis contract and then a bunch of other terrible contracts to top it off, so you have no room to make moves

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Olivier and Bean starting on IR buys some time - they could keep Bemstrom and Foudy on the 23 man roster instead of waiving them right away. Or maybe they want to waive them right away and use the space to give a look to a surprise youngster like Dumais or Malatesta.

I doubt they actually think that, but they painted themselves to a corner with long-term Elvis contract and then a bunch of other terrible contracts to top it off, so you have no room to make moves

That's not true. They have plenty of cap space. They just didn't want to carry 3 or waive Tarasov. They preferred to go with Merzlikins-Tarasov, which was my least preferred option of the 3.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
That's not true. They have plenty of cap space. They just didn't want to carry 3 or waive Tarasov. They preferred to go with Merzlikins-Tarasov, which was my least preferred option of the 3.
This year yeah, but if you get another goalie with years left you'll be in trouble as KJ and Marchenko get new deals next summer. Unless I'm mistaken, only major $$ coming off is Roslovic. If we are lucky with KJs development, Roslo's $4m wont even get you half of KJ.

Edit. Ok so, Robinson and Bean coming off too. Neither probably gets re-signed. It's not as bad as I initially thought

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This year yeah, but if you get another goalie with years left you'll be in trouble as KJ and Marchenko get new deals next summer. Unless I'm mistaken, only major $$ coming off is Roslovic. If we are lucky with KJs development, Roslo's $4m wont even get you half of KJ.

They didn't to sign a multi-year deal to make an improvement on Merzlikins-Tarasov. Every year there are better goalies than that that only sign one year deals. Or you could have taken in Casey DeSmith, who Montreal was trying very hard to unload.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
They didn't to sign a multi-year deal to make an improvement on Merzlikins-Tarasov. Every year there are better goalies than that that only sign one year deals.
Was there anyone good this summer who signed a 1 year deal for a bottom 10 team? Usually the good ones go to contenders, or at the very least to good defensive teams, so they can perform well and get paid the year after.

Or you could have taken in Casey DeSmith, who Montreal was trying very hard to unload.
DeSmith is definitely not a solution to goalie issues, but I guess he would have been an decent filler when everyone gets hurt again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Was there anyone good this summer who signed a 1 year deal for a bottom 10 team? Usually the good ones go to contenders, or at the very least to good defensive teams, so they can perform well and get paid the year after.

Goalies also like to sign places where they can win the #1 job, I think we would have had some guys looking for opportunity, the FO just preferred Merzlikins-Tarasov.

DeSmith is definitely not a solution to goalie issues, but I guess he would have been an decent filler when everyone gets hurt again.

I think DeSmith might have been our best goalie if they were willing to take him, and regardless it is very likely that Merzlikins+Tarasov can't play 82 games, maybe not even 50.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The fact that we will have Aaron Dell potentially playing major minutes is pretty concerning

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The fact that we will have Aaron Dell potentially playing major minutes is pretty concerning
I'm not super worried.... yet. I get the feeling Jarmo is counting on being healthy and 2 major defensive acquisitions as well as playing a cohesive defensive system to help the overall GA. Having said that, this is definitely Elvis' last chance. If he's not playing up to par by the holidays I think Jarmo goes shopping hard to bring in some competition(Tarasov will be hurt)

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I'm not super worried.... yet. I get the feeling Jarmo is counting on being healthy and 2 major defensive acquisitions as well as playing a cohesive defensive system to help the overall GA. Having said that, this is definitely Elvis' last chance. If he's not playing up to par by the holidays I think Jarmo goes shopping hard to bring in some competition(Tarasov will be hurt)

There's a lot of assets to acquire a good one if these guys can't get it done.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Olivier and Bean starting on IR buys some time - they could keep Bemstrom and Foudy on the 23 man roster instead of waiving them right away. Or maybe they want to waive them right away and use the space to give a look to a surprise youngster like Dumais or Malatesta.

I doubt that they want to waive Olivier. But Olivier is only one forward and we have still 13 without them (Marchenko will return soon). And I'm not counting Malatesta, Dumais and McKown, maybe Meyers. Although I still think Foudy should play in the starting lineup and I'm not opposed to trading Kuraly.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I hope it does. I'm ready to move off of it.
Been off for three years. I made a sarcastic post about some people’s double standards and the algorithm or whatever took it seriously and flagged it. Said I could submit an appeal or remove the tweet. I submitted an appeal. Nothing ever happened. To this day if I try to go to Twitter it says “ thanks for your appeal.” The new ownership didn’t even fix it.

The truth is I decided about a week or two after the appeal that I didn’t miss it. Most of the stuff I’d want to read gets out in here. Of course if it’s just an “X” link I can’t read it, but worse things have happened.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Been off for three years. I made a sarcastic post about some people’s double standards and the algorithm or whatever took it seriously and flagged it. Said I could submit an appeal or remove the tweet. I submitted an appeal. Nothing ever happened. To this day if I try to go to Twitter it says “ thanks for your appeal.” The new ownership didn’t even fix it.

The truth is I decided about a week or two after the appeal that I didn’t miss it. Most of the stuff I’d want to read gets out in here. Of course if it’s just an “X” link I can’t read it, but worse things have happened.
I would have moved completely over to Threads by now except pages I follow that give me notifications about shoe releases haven't moved over so its unfortunatley still my only way of getting real time notifications on some things.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
People here were ready to annoint Greaves as at least the #2 based on his one game in Toronto. So yes.
Greaves has put up decent numbers in 72 games on bad to mediocre Monster teams. If he can improve those numbers a bit, he should get a chance at a backup role. If the Monsters play a little better in front of him, his numbers should improve.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder why Johnson is listed at RW. I was confused looking for his name. Thats an interesting line as listed but maybe just a placeholder for Marchenko? Or is an actual Idea Vincent wants to try

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

hey those (presumptive) top two lines look familiar!

if i had to split them up, i'd build the line combos like this:
13 - 38 - 91
42 - 11 - 29
anyway, roslovic starting with foudy and bemmer uhhhh probably doesn't bode well for him (but does bode extremely well for my "Fire Jack Roslovic Into The Sun" agenda)

also looks like their philosophy for the d-pairs is "what if every pair had one guy who really didn't belong there" which is cool i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad