CBJ Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I wish Gaudreau-Fantilli-Texier worked from a handedness perspective. Fantilli with a playmaker and puck hound seems like it would be perfect.
texier played his best hockey here at RW on a line with kuraly and robinson

pretty sure gaudreau was mostly a RW when he played with tkachuk (another lefty)

obviously in an ideal world you want one righty on that line but i don't think it'd be an issue.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure exactly why Berni is still holding out for a guy who played respectably given the circumstances but will still end up back in Cleveland. If its about money wouldn't you just sign back in Europe for the season? He's not getting a 1 way deal and I seriously doubt they are going to give him a huge AHL salary.

He's trying to get traded. It seems he doesn't think he'll get another chance here if he goes back to Cleveland, which is probably accurate.

texier played his best hockey here at RW on a line with kuraly and robinson

pretty sure gaudreau was mostly a RW when he played with tkachuk (another lefty)

obviously in an ideal world you want one righty on that line but i don't think it'd be an issue.

I think you'd only want a righty for faceoffs. I don't see a problem with lefties on both wings, if they're just wingers. It seems Vincent will keep up the two center ideal though, possibly L and R pairs.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
All practice sessions in the OhioHealth Ice Haus (see full schedule below) are open to the public. In addition, the scrimmages held at Nationwide Arena from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday, September 23 will be open to the public.

No info on possible scrimmage and game streams, as usual.

Reactions: aRussian

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's trying to get traded. It seems he doesn't think he'll get another chance here if he goes back to Cleveland, which is probably accurate.
I can't imagine there is a ton of demand for a guy who is probably an 8th defenseman (when healthy) on a team as bad as they were last season. I can't imagine his situation would be better for any other team.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
There are teams that aren't as deep as the Jackets at D.
That might be true but he's not going to get anything more than his qualifying offer.

As far as I'm concerned and management is probably the same way. He can sign it and play or not sign it and not play. I don't think his personal desires are that high on their list right now. Until someone comes up to offer some sort of value for him those are his options. If he's looking for a multi year deal he might be out of luck no matter what team it is. He still has a ton to prove.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If he gets injured in camp and doesn't have a contract...that seems risky to me (from Berni's standpoint).
Yeah, maybe it all works out, but I'm not understanding what he's doing (or what his agent is telling him to do). I think it would have been in his best interest to take the QO and see if a trade transpires.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
This camp will be so competitive, we can rest assured the team that's on the ice on opening night has worked hard to make it.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
This camp will be so competitive, we can rest assured the team that's on the ice on opening night has worked hard to make it.
Will be great to watch Mateychuk, Jiricek, Svozil all put in stunning performances trying to earn a lineup spot. ...Only to end up in AHL/Juniors as Gudbransson gets the spot thanks to his excellent lockerroom music catalog

But jokes aside, the defense competition will be really interesting. Basically 3 locks in Werenski, Severson, Provorov. That only leaves 3 spots open between the 5 of Gudbransson, Peeke, Boqvist, Bean, Blankenburg. Like that's not enough of a challenge, but then you also have 3 wildcards who could put themselves in conversation in Svozil, Mateychuk and Jiricek. I'd almost like to see a trade to make it more realistic for the prospects to make it.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That might be true but he's not going to get anything more than his qualifying offer.

As far as I'm concerned and management is probably the same way. He can sign it and play or not sign it and not play. I don't think his personal desires are that high on their list right now. Until someone comes up to offer some sort of value for him those are his options. If he's looking for a multi year deal he might be out of luck no matter what team it is. He still has a ton to prove.

Oh I'm sure he and his agent know that he hasn't earned a multi year deal or a raise even. They're just trying to get him to a new team before his NHL dreams are over.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Will be great to watch Mateychuk, Jiricek, Svozil all put in stunning performances trying to earn a lineup spot. ...Only to end up in AHL/Juniors as Gudbransson gets the spot thanks to his excellent lockerroom music catalog

But jokes aside, the defense competition will be really interesting. Basically 3 locks in Werenski, Severson, Provorov. That only leaves 3 spots open between the 5 of Gudbransson, Peeke, Boqvist, Bean, Blankenburg. Like that's not enough of a challenge, but then you also have 3 wildcards who could put themselves in conversation in Svozil, Mateychuk and Jiricek. I'd almost like to see a trade to make it more realistic for the prospects to make it.

Yeah we now have so many good assets especially on D and a bit of a logjam on F as well, they'll need to use some of these players to turn them into trade deadline acquisitions for a playoff run. Depth is good because injuries happen but too much depth might diminish the value of some of the prospects if their way up is blocked

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If this isn't appropriate for this thread Mods can delete of move but in light of the recent negativity, I really hope this team can pull together and actually show this isn't between the players and the players can move past this and be committed to the organization. My biggest fear is that this perpetuates the everyone wants to leave Columbus. We have a lot of young talent that has said all the right things about being in Columbus and wanting to be here. I hope this doesn't result in the loss of players over distrust and that a tight camp can put them back onto solid ground within the team structure and organization.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm not sure exactly why Berni is still holding out for a guy who played respectably given the circumstances but will still end up back in Cleveland. If it’s about money wouldn't you just sign back in Europe for the season? He's not getting a 1 way deal and I seriously doubt they are going to give him a huge AHL salary.
Maybe. But the difference between 925,000 a year vs 70,000 a year might be worth fighting for - with a chance to play in the NHL again soon. Carson Meyer is making 190,000 in the AHL, Berni should get close to that right?

CBJ brass looking into an exemption for Dumais???

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Maybe. But the difference between 925,000 a year vs 70,000 a year might be worth fighting for - with a chance to play in the NHL again soon. Carson Meyer is making 190,000 in the AHL, Berni should get close to that right?

CBJ brass looking into an exemption for Dumais???
Is this speculation/hope on your part or an actual rumor? Dumais playing in the AHL (or Europe) would be much better for him than dominating the Q again I think.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Sweet, thanks. If back to back 110+ point seasons isn’t enough for an exemption, then what is? another year in the Q would simply be slowing down his career trajectory by a year IMO.
He wont get it, definitely puts him in a weird spot though. Halifax wont want to lose a premium asset before they have to and many good players have gone through it. So either he goes back and dominates again or it puts players in a position that the agreement tries to prevent and actually causes someone too good for the CHL to be rushed to the NHL.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Sweet, thanks. If back to back 110+ point seasons isn’t enough for an exemption, then what is? another year in the Q would simply be slowing down his career trajectory by a year IMO.
It’s not based on production.

Normally it’s 4 CHL seasons, or age 20 as of Dec 31st of a given year. Wright would have had 4 season this year if Covid doesn’t happen. Not sure how Dumais would get granted the privilege for a full year.

Probably 8 games then sent down for “rehab” before heading back to Halifax.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Not sure how there’s any chance that gets accepted. With Wright, he’s SO close to both cut offs, being five days too young for the age deadline and one game short of a full year by the standards (25 games played in a season). Dumais is an April birthday, not 20 until next spring, and only has games played in three Q seasons.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
It’s not based on production.

Normally it’s 4 CHL seasons, or age 20 as of Dec 31st of a given year. Wright would have had 4 season this year if Covid doesn’t happen. Not sure how Dumais would get granted the privilege for a full year.

Probably 8 games then sent down for “rehab” before heading back to Halifax.
Oh I know, just venting. It’s just gonna suck when he goes back.

Reactions: Cowumbus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad