Rumor: CBJ talking to multiple teams regarding Gus Nyquist

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Reported that he’s out indefinitely with an upper body injury. Might kill any trade value he had.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Retention is baked in. No chance at a 1st.

Exactly. Low offence at this point and 33, without bringing much of what is needed to win in the playoffs. If you get a 2nd with retention that is about as good as it gets.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Candidate for injury capspace until playoffs, perhaps? Might interest some playoof bound teams.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Nyquist is a good player but can he make a difference when it counts?

If you’re looking for a player who wins battles, you should probably pass. If you need a little more pure scoring, he might be a good fit for relatively cheap.

What was he traded for last time? A 2nd and a 3rd? Something like that. He could get a 2nd with retention. Can’t see anything more than that though.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If you’re looking for a player who wins battles, you should probably pass. If you need a little more pure scoring, he might be a good fit for relatively cheap.

What was he traded for last time? A 2nd and a 3rd? Something like that. He could get a 2nd with retention. Can’t see anything more than that though.

He was very good in the run with San Jose.

Reactions: Petes2424

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A trade chip, sure, but not one really worth paying attention to. He's going to return crap - if he does get moved.

I think it will just be larded up with conditions. "Fourth round pick becomes a 3rd if he plays 5-9 playoff games, becomes a 2nd if he plays 10+". Something like that.

This doesn't sound like Gus Nyquist. He's a stocky well built skater with a high battle level. He was one of Torts' most relied on two-way guys the last time the Jackets were in the playoffs.

Reactions: Xoggz22

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
With the current cap situation, this may be more enticing to some teams. But, doesn’t have time to gel with the team

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think it will just be larded up with conditions. "Fourth round pick becomes a 3rd if he plays 5-9 playoff games, becomes a 2nd if he plays 10+". Something like that.

This doesn't sound like Gus Nyquist. He's a stocky well built skater with a high battle level. He was one of Torts' most relied on two-way guys the last time the Jackets were in the playoffs.
Make no mistake, I’d take Gus Nyquist on my team any day. He is capped as a player though. His big asset is his mind, his consistency, and how well he reads the ice. He’s a coach’s wet dream in that regard.

He is what he is though. A good two-way winger but nobody is mistaking Gus Nyquist with winning physical battles in the corners. He tries, he has good core strength… as any smaller player needs in the NHL, and he’s smart… Which helps him tremendously but he doesn’t bring that element and never has.

He’s a better 6 in your Top 6 than he is anywhere in your bottom 6. You know exactly what you’re getting and he doesn’t hurt you. He’s able to play with any type C too.

So like I said, if you need a winger to play that role, he’s a good add. The problem with overall value though, is most playoff teams already have a couple of him.. even if they’re not as consistent or dependable. Most Top 6 players do something really special physically. He just does most things a little above average. Winning battles physically isn’t one of them though.

It’s all about his value. He’s not getting a 1st, unless Columbus is taking someone with term in return, who a team desperately needs to dump.

• Haha
Reactions: ColbyChaos

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Make no mistake, I’d take Gus Nyquist on my team any day. He is capped as a player though. His big asset is his mind, his consistency, and how well he reads the ice. He’s a coach’s wet dream in that regard.

He is what he is though. A good two-way winger but nobody is mistaking Gus Nyquist with winning physical battles in the corners. He tries, he has good core strength… as any smaller player needs in the NHL, and he’s smart… Which helps him tremendously but he doesn’t bring that element and never has.

He’s a better 6 in your Top 6 than he is anywhere in your bottom 6. You know exactly what you’re getting and he doesn’t hurt you. He’s able to play with any type C too.

So like I said, if you need a winger to play that role, he’s a good add. The problem with overall value though, is most playoff teams already have a couple of him.. even if they’re not as consistent or dependable. Most Top 6 players do something really special physically. He just does most things a little above average. Winning battles physically isn’t one of them though.

It’s all about his value. He’s not getting a 1st, unless Columbus is taking someone with term in return, who a team desperately needs to dump.

He's not getting a 1st, I just don't like the characterization. I've been watching him for years and I've never thought he wasn't good in board battles. A few years ago he played a year or two with a torn labrum and I think maybe that made him softer at that time.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Riley Nash went for a Conditional 6th (based on playoff GP) and a contract dump in a similar situation. Maybe bump it up a round or two, if there’s any demand.

There may not be. Bringing a new player into the lineup totally cold and coming off of injury in a playoff series is undesirable.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Maybe the leafs could take a shot here? If they do absolutely nothing but get him I think he’d be a upgrade on the Tavares line.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Nyquist wont get traded if he is out until end of regular season.

No one is going to risk trading away trade capital for a guy that might play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nyquist wont get traded if he is out until end of regular season.

No one is going to risk trading away trade capital for a guy that might play.

If he is away only for regular season, he is definitely worth the risk, because you can put him on LTIR. And then if he is healthy at the playoffs - use him.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
He is the perfect gamble. Trade a low-ish/mid pick for the chance to get a proven scorer with zero regular season cap implications, thus making other trades possible. Roll the dice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad