Rumor: CBJ talking to multiple teams regarding Gus Nyquist

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Is Nyquist good defensively or is he just another floating winger?
Not sure if we can call anyone in Columbus good defensively this year. That said, Nyquist does kill penalties and is suited for a top-6 or middle-6 role.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Nyquist initially signed with the Jackets because he wanted to win, and he's upcoming UFA, so given the circumstances he's definitely going to get traded.

Not too shabby for middle 6.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think the Oilers need to dump Pulijijaarvi (one day I'll spell his name right) for any trade they make, and I'd be kind of surprised if they could dump him on Columbus, since they were smart enough to pass on him when given the chance. But if you could dump him and a 2nd for a half retained Nyqvist, one of Holland's old boys, I think the Oilers make out good in that trade.
Nyquist is on a 5.5 cap hit--so they would need to dump more than Jesse to make room for him

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If we look at Ken Holland's trade history, this makes a ton of sense. Nyquist at 50% for Foegele and a 2nd rounder, or something along those lines.
I would think Puljujarvi would likely be more the focus for CBJ on the return salary. May not work for Edmonton but I don't think CBJ takes back term (even 1 year). Only way they do that is if they are taking on 1st round picks (and that's not to suggest Nyquist for a 1st, just overall assessment/thought process). I would also think if Edmonton plans to retain Puljujarvi, then Foegele is maybe a better option to keep? Anyway, I think an opportunity would exist between these two teams with Gus and/or Gavy.

Reactions: Cowumbus and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nyquist is on a 5.5 cap hit--so they would need to dump more than Jesse to make room for him
Just assume the Jackets are retaining. No reason for us not to when it's a rental situation. The only question is whether or not we retain max or if we work out something with another team to double-retain.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would think Puljujarvi would likely be more the focus for CBJ on the return salary. May not work for Edmonton but I don't think CBJ takes back term (even 1 year). Only way they do that is if they are taking on 1st round picks (and that's not to suggest Nyquist for a 1st, just overall assessment/thought process). I would also think if Edmonton plans to retain Puljujarvi, then Foegele is maybe a better option to keep? Anyway, I think an opportunity would exist between these two teams with Gus and/or Gavy.
I think Edmonton is wanting to move both Foegle and Pulujarvi in deadline deals to be honest. I think JP may have slightly more value (or more interest, as value is negligible on both), for the reason you stated. Pulujarvi is up at the end of the year, Foegle is not. I'm not sold on either of CBJ's pieces being the best fit for Edmonton anyway, and honestly the only difference it makes to me, is that if this were the only deal we got done, if Foegle was in it, we're clear of 5.75M in space this summer when considering JP's contract ending.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I get the thought process o the points but Columbus is an absolute train wreck. Gus has played pretty well overall. I was actually surprised to see he had 19 pts on the year. And don't forget, Cap space at the deadline is weighted differently. His hit would only be around $600K at the deadline with a 50% retention. It's calculated based on the remaining days at the deadline (somewhere around 22%). You probably know that.

Anyway, I do agree with you that there is no way he gets a 1st but if not a 2nd I would be disappointed. He's ideal for a playoff run in a middle six or 3rd line role. Experience, plays all three zones, kills penalties... There's a pretty good market for that.

I'm aware of how the cap space works, doesn't change anything. Half the teams in the league are on LTIR right now.

Of the other half, only about ~5 teams actually have the cap space to fit Nyquist salary at the deadline and aren't a selling team themselves. You're basically looking at Buffalo, Minnesota, Nashville, Winnipeg, and the Rangers.

I'd saying its being generous to include Buffalo and Nashville. They're still in the playoff race but neither team has a great shot at making. Though they're the kind of teams that could have interest in a cheap rental like Nyquist to help them. The key being cheap like a 3rd or 4th round pick, something inconsequential for when they miss.

Ultimately, Nyquist just isn't going to be a rental that the few teams with significant cap space, are lining up to pay high value for. He's like a cheap alternative option teams have targeted in the range of a mid round pick and maybe a C level prospect.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I'm aware of how the cap space works, doesn't change anything. Half the teams in the league are on LTIR right now.

Of the other half, only about ~5 teams actually have the cap space to fit Nyquist salary at the deadline and aren't a selling team themselves. You're basically looking at Buffalo, Minnesota, Nashville, Winnipeg, and the Rangers.

I'd saying its being generous to include Buffalo and Nashville. They're still in the playoff race but neither team has a great shot at making. Though they're the kind of teams that could have interest in a cheap rental like Nyquist to help them. The key being cheap like a 3rd or 4th round pick, something inconsequential for when they miss.

Ultimately, Nyquist just isn't going to be a rental that the few teams with significant cap space, are lining up to pay high value for. He's like a cheap alternative option teams have targeted in the range of a mid round pick and maybe a C level prospect.

I don't think cap space is the biggest issue tbh. It's that most contenders have great-decent mid-6 utility forwards already. But teams looking to upgrade their mid-6 winger position will definitely look at Nyquist.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Think he goes for a 2nd.
I hope so, that would possibly give the Jackets an extra 1st 2nd and 3rd in (presumably) this draft between Gavy and Nyquist

And it would mean 7 first round picks in 3 drafts if we don't end up packaging some picks and prospects for immediate help.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would be interested in him if he's a secondary add but I don't think Nyquist by himself is enough.

I do think he would give a team like Toronto tremendous depth if they could also find a way to add a Timo Meier or ROR, if you could make that work You'd have

Bunting Matthews Marner

Jarnkork Tavares Nylander

Nyquist ROR Engvall.

to me that's the ideal situation because now you are 3 lines deep and that's the perfect role for him.

I don't think he should be anybody primary add.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
JD may like a Rangers prospect like Kravtsov and Jones but I’d like to see another young player coming back

Nyqvist for a 2nd max at 50 off

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I would be interested in him if he's a secondary add but I don't think Nyquist by himself is enough.

I do think he would give a team like Toronto tremendous depth if they could also find a way to add a Timo Meier or ROR, if you could make that work You'd have

Bunting Matthews Marner

Jarnkork Tavares Nylander

Nyquist ROR Engvall.

to me that's the ideal situation because now you are 3 lines deep and that's the perfect role for him.

I don't think he should be anybody primary add.
In that lineup, why wouldn’t you have him with Tavares and Nylander? Nyquist is a top 6 player before Jarnkrok.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In that lineup, why wouldn’t you have him with Tavares and Nylander? Nyquist is a top 6 player before Jarnkrok.

Because Jarnkork Tavares Nylander/Marner has been working incredibly well.

I mean I want him on the 3rd line but if they could somehow add ROR or Monahan and either Nyquist or Domi it might work out because then you are 3 lines deep

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Gus is arguably a much better player than Nick Foligno, who got a 1st at the deadline a few years ago. Watch Jarmo work some magic again.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Gus is arguably a much better player than Nick Foligno, who got a 1st at the deadline a few years ago. Watch Jarmo work some magic again.
personally i'd be willing to attach a few mid-round picks to get a first for (double) retained gus, too.

something like gus + a 3rd + a 4th (they have an extra of each this year) + a 6th for the second half of retention for a first.

then get a first+ for gavrikov and baby, you've got a stew* goin.

*draft capital to go hard after a veteran 1C if they luck out in the lotto, immediately becoming competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad