Rumor: CBJ talking to multiple teams regarding Gus Nyquist

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
i dunno about this one. his playoff stats suck

I mean like half of his playoff games happened in his first 5 seasons, at the tail end of Detroit being a decent team.

And then 10 games with Columbus.

And a Cup Final trip with SJ, with 11 pts in 20 games

At this point of his career you likely grab him as a support to your top 6, not as a key cog

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Only issue is, Will any GM risk trading for him. And then risk that he is out for the season and playoffs. Probably too big of a risk for a team to take.
I think it depends on what the deal is an what CBJ's expectations are. If they want an asset in return I don't see why a team does it unless they have a very strong sense that he would be back. But I could see a team like Edmonton taking Nyquist in a deal for Gavrikov with retention to balance some of the cost. Retaining Gavrikov right now at 50% woold cost CBJ about $1.7M in real dollars. Shedding Nyquist saves them roughly $2M dollars eliminating the full cost of retention in dollars and in fact saving teh team around $300K. .

Of course we have no idea how CBJ values that money that they will need to spend on Gavrikov.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I mean like half of his playoff games happened in his first 5 seasons, at the tail end of Detroit being a decent team.

And then 10 games with Columbus.

And a Cup Final trip with SJ, with 11 pts in 20 games

At this point of his career you likely grab him as a support to your top 6, not as a key cog
i realise that but cap space is very limited. is this the guy you want to commit to? i think id take a long look at other options first.

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it depends on what the deal is an what CBJ's expectations are. If they want an asset in return I don't see why a team does it unless they have a very strong sense that he would be back. But I could see a team like Edmonton taking Nyquist in a deal for Gavrikov with retention to balance some of the cost. Retaining Gavrikov right now at 50% woold cost CBJ about $1.7M in real dollars. Shedding Nyquist saves them roughly $2M dollars eliminating the full cost of retention in dollars and in fact saving teh team around $300K. .

Of course we have no idea how CBJ values that money that they will need to spend on Gavrikov.

They'll just make the return in the Nyquist trade all conditional on the number of playoff games played. No one will mind paying a 2nd rounder for him if he plays three or four rounds in the playoffs.

Reactions: Fro

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
i realise that but cap space is very limited. is this the guy you want to commit to? i think id take a long look at other options first.

Depends. Cap space is overrated on these boards. He'd cost 1.3M after double retention.for a middle 6 vet, its platable

Foligno was the same AAV, had terrible offebsive stats as well and got Columbus a 1st and a 4th, despite reauiring the Sharks to eat some salary for double retention.

All depends on the market and what teams are offering vs looking for

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd think he'd be an interesting addition since he comes with zero cap hit

A lot depends on if he'd be back for playoffs. Ideally he'd be good enough to return a couple weeks before playoffs but any team would be able to swing him getting a bit more rehab and conditioning

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Depends. Cap space is overrated on these boards. He'd cost 1.3M after double retention.for a middle 6 vet, its platable

Foligno was the same AAV, had terrible offebsive stats as well and got Columbus a 1st and a 4th, despite reauiring the Sharks to eat some salary for double retention.

All depends on the market and what teams are offering vs looking for
see you already have to involve another team. so the price is already inflated. not sure you're properly factoring in cap space. even at 1.3m that would make him the main acquisition for a lot of teams.

foligno was a bad add so that doesnt help your case at all and he was added before the big cap pinch. cap space is less available now.

i think most teams should take a long hard look elsewhere first.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
see you already have to involve another team. so the price is already inflated. not sure you're properly factoring in cap space. even at 1.3m that would make him the main acquisition for a lot of teams.

foligno was a bad add so that doesnt help your case at all and he was added before the big cap pinch. cap space is less available now.

i think most teams should take a long hard look elsewhere first.

What inflated price are you talking about? I've seen people discuss a 2nd here with Nyquist retained and a cap dump going Columbus' way.

GM's make cap space work. Look at last year's deadline in capfrienxly. So many players carrying cap hits of >1M changed address.

Like, obviously Nyquist wont return a 1st + prospect, but a 2nd or 3rd rounder is definitely realistic

Reactions: Fro

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Sounds like he could be a sneaky deadline pickup, if there really is a chance he could be healthy in time for playoffs.

Feels like a Penguins style move, to me. Don't spend too much, but still make some kind of push during the Crosby Malkin window.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
yeah because we're totally deliberately injuring guys we actually were already planning on trading at the deadline it all makes so much sense

Trading your 33 years old pending FA who's injured until playoff time = Tanking

• Haha
Reactions: Xoggz22 and Fro

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
What inflated price are you talking about? I've seen people discuss a 2nd here with Nyquist retained and a cap dump going Columbus' way.

GM's make cap space work. Look at last year's deadline in capfrienxly. So many players carrying cap hits of >1M changed address.

Like, obviously Nyquist wont return a 1st + prospect, but a 2nd or 3rd rounder is definitely realistic
inflated in the sense that you have another party to pay. how many double retained player were moved at last years deadline?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
inflated in the sense that you have another party to pay. how many double retained player were moved at last years deadline?

what are you arguing here? Yes, he's gonna be cheaper to acquire than a similar player at 2M AAV. That's a no-brainer.

It just means that the market is smaller, player has a cheaper trade value - it can work better for some teams. Not every team is in a Tampa spot where they HAVE to pay a premium to get low cap rentals. Not every team battling for a playoff spot is Tampa and can afford to off 1sts and futures for a rental. A team might be really happy to get a Nyquist for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Although, now that he's injured, either his cap hit won't matter (if ready by playoff time), or he won't play in the playoffs... I'm curious to see if Columbus will find a buyer desperate enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad