Rumor: CBJ scouting Boston

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Am I the only one who hates how many people have already proclaimed Jenner to be the future captain of this club? I mean, I love Jenner as a player. But give Dubi the C already. He's the one who stayed on the ice after the playoff series and patted everyone on the back as they walked into the dressing room after losing the series. He's the one who is in charge of handling the other team's top line players. He's the one who is a vocal leader. He's the one who earned a well deserved contract extension and pay bump, basically solidifying his spot with the team for the next 5 years +

I think the consensus is "future" captain. I don't see anyone doubting or denying that, Dubi, C or not, is clearly the team's leader and will continue to be throughout his contract. By the end of his deal, I suspect Boone will be the C of this team. The kid has 'it'.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I think the consensus is "future" captain. I don't see anyone doubting or denying that, Dubi, C or not, is clearly the team's leader and will continue to be throughout his contract. By the end of his deal, I suspect Boone will be the C of this team. The kid has 'it'.

Portzline has been pushing this narrative all season. Just last night he said on the NHL Network that Jenner is the captain right now.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Portzline has been pushing this narrative all season. Just last night he said on the NHL Network that Jenner is the captain right now.

Portzline is an idiot. He has flat out lied about this. He said at one point this season Jenner was wearing an "A." I believe that was for one preseason game, yes. But he has not worn an "A" in any regular season game this year.

Have to wonder if it's a man-crush or if he's being told by somebody with the CBJ organization to push this narrative.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH

Yeah, and now Bob McElligot and Rimer are saying it too which in turn causes people on internet forums to start repeating it. It seems like at least once a week I hear about him being a future captain but I don't recall seeing much from Boone that has made me think "yep, that guy is gonna be a captain someday" other than the 200 times I've heard someone else say it. He plays the game the right way and leads by example. But I've never seen him really show his leadership like Dubi did after the playoff loss. When the team was walking back to the dressing room and Dubi was the guy standing by the door, patting everyone on the back, and he was the last one off the ice....that is the kind of thing that screams "captain". I just haven't seen it from Boone yet.

Like I said, I love Jenner as a player and who knows, maybe he is a great leader and future captain of the club. I'd have no problem with that. I just find it odd how so many people are already talking about it like it's an inevitable event, but with no real reason why of than "he has 'it'".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Let's be real, I don't think anyone will ever be captain of this team.

This. At the rate things are going, I think we may just end up with a tradition of only ever having alternates. Seriously, how many "oh, he's CLEARLY the captain" candidates have we had since Nash left? I think we've had four or five*. And frankly, I don't see any problem with that.

*: Vinny, then JJ, then Dubi, then JJ again after Dubi's suspension, then Dubi again, then Foligno, then Johansen, then Dubi again after the holdout, now Jenner. With occasional guest starring roles by Murray.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Like I said, I love Jenner as a player and who knows, maybe he is a great leader and future captain of the club. I'd have no problem with that. I just find it odd how so many people are already talking about it like it's an inevitable event, but with no real reason why of than "he has 'it'".

Well, they're called intangibles for a reason.

I've watched a lot of hockey, players and teams and some guys stand out - Jenner stands out, and in a way we've not seen around here in our organization (from within). Clutch plays, the way he plays the game in general and the way he carries himself are all indicators to me. IMO, his game and personality are very comparable to Dubinsky, Toews, Backes, and Doan - not to say he's at that level, but the ingredients seem to be there.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of this is a push from within the organization, but I'm not sure I care - they'd know better than I would. At least it would seem to be for the right reasons rather than choosing a marketable star with a questionable work ethic like we a Nash or Giroux.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Portzline is an idiot. He has flat out lied about this. He said at one point this season Jenner was wearing an "A." I believe that was for one preseason game, yes. But he has not worn an "A" in any regular season game this year.

Have to wonder if it's a man-crush or if he's being told by somebody with the CBJ organization to push this narrative.

Where's the lie?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

wkAhF.gif

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Where's the lie?

Try re-reading again. Here, I'll do it for you...Portzline has stated that Jenner has worn an "A" this year, implying the regular season. That is flat out untrue. But since he's Portzline, no one calls him on it. And the narrative continues.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Try re-reading again. Here, I'll do it for you...Portzline has stated that Jenner has worn an "A" this year, implying the regular season. That is flat out untrue. But since he's Portzline, no one calls him on it. And the narrative continues.

So, he hasn't lied.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
if we're going to live with technicalities on this board, he did in the preseason, which, last I checked, was this season...so technically, he didn't lie...

I'm really not sure what the big deal is, Boone is pretty much labeled to be a captain, maybe not the next one, but he more than likely will be one here at some point...

5thLiner

Didn't draft a Finn
Oct 14, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
disclaimer......I have no idea how the talks are going for the Jackets to re-sign Foligno...hopefully he has a different agent than Joey

I heard Porty say a week or two ago that they're currently discussing extensions. He doesn't believe management is willing to let them go. Not only that, but he's a huge fan favorite and a true leader in the locker room. I understand why he would be a good piece for a trade, though.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Please look up definitions of imply and infer. I believe you inferred something that Porty didn't imply.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
if we're going to live with technicalities on this board, he did in the preseason, which, last I checked, was this season...so technically, he didn't lie...

I'm really not sure what the big deal is, Boone is pretty much labeled to be a captain, maybe not the next one, but he more than likely will be one here at some point...

Well, we gotta argue about something, don't we? No topic is safe!

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
You want a something from Boston you give up draft picks. They have a pattern of doing that. Usually 2 or more picks from the first three rounds for this or next year's draft.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Not the point. There are threads for the other discussions. There are bad habits, myself included, about turning every thread into something else. I just got a bit tired of it.

If you see posts that you do not think belong in a thread click the report button and report it.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Has nothing to do with BOS... but, what are some of your thoughts on pursuing Lars Eller near the trade deadline? His point production has been brought down due to playing 3rd line minutes and mostly playing with Bourque before he got traded... Eller was scouted by Jarmo while Jarmo was with the Blues.. went on to be drafted in the first round by STL. He's a talented two way forward that would fit well on the wing with Joey, possibly.

Btw with the Boston trade speculations w/ CBJ dying down.. we should make a new thread for trade talks/ideas..

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Has nothing to do with BOS... but, what are some of your thoughts on pursuing Lars Eller near the trade deadline? His point production has been brought down due to playing 3rd line minutes and mostly playing with Bourque before he got traded... Eller was scouted by Jarmo while Jarmo was with the Blues.. went on to be drafted in the first round by STL. He's a talented two way forward that would fit well on the wing with Joey, possibly.

Btw with the Boston trade speculations w/ CBJ dying down.. we should make a new thread for trade talks/ideas..

Eller is like Anisimov - good defensively, streaky offensively. They're about the same age, get paid the same (only Eller's deal runs longer), though if anything Eller has longer cold streaks.

You'd have to think that if Montreal won't move Eller to the wing - with the relative depth they have at center and the holes on the wing - that perhaps Eller won't be a great wing option for us either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad