Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This is the CBJ prospect thread...not the OB thread. "Stay on target" :darth:

It looks like Hjorth and Knazko have both gotten off to strong starts for their Finnish U20 teams and been promoted to play with the big boys. Excited to see what they do against the better competition.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cole Sillinger and Yegor Chinakhov deliver: 10 observations from the Blue Jackets' perfect run in Traverse City

The Athletic caught up with one scout who watched all three of Chinakhov’s games. We promised anonymity in exchange for an honest critique:
“With six goals in three games, you might suggest he’s a scorer, right? Duh. Really, he’s a shooter first and foremost. A good passer, but I would not say a playmaker, per se. Very good power and quickness in his stride, but would not say his top speed is overwhelming. He tends to be the third guy high in the offensive zone, which is a shooter’s norm. He’s not likely to be the guy retrieving pucks in the offensive zone.
“I have limited exposure to this player, but would say — after three games — he’s a high-end top-nine (forward) in the NHL with lots of power play time, which is where he really seems to excel. If his two-way play and consistency evolve, he will likely become a top six.
“There are no NHL goaltenders to face here (in Traverse City) and his time-and-space adjustment in the NHL will take time. But he should be good with (Zach) Werenski on that power play.”

Those are superficial comments on Chinakhov. There are scouts that know his game in detail but we only hear about him from nincompoops that have only seen prospect games.

For his age he's an excellent forechecker and quick in both ends. You can't get a regular shift on a Bob Hartley team if you can't battle.

Can't say I disagree at this point, but frankly put I'm not so concerned about his consistency and two-way play than I am of his passing skills. He's a finisher and power play will be his bread and butter if he's ever going to make a career in NHL, so I'd recommend to focus on developing passing, receiving pucks on the boards, or just in general making more finesse, good little plays in other tight areas of the ice that can significantly increase the amount of scoring chances the team will get on 5vs5 and special teams. Luckily we have McCudden in the staff who's specialized to teach that technical stuff and is arguably good at it. There are enough players in the roster who can do the grinding and retrieving part, I don't think we need everyone to become copies of Jenner and Bjorkstrand.

I like the general point that we'd love Chinakhov to round out his puck skills, but I'm baffled that you rope Bjorkstrand into this. Bjorkstrand is comfortably the best forward on the team. We absolutely do want more players to be like him. I understand that Bjorkstrand isn't the best in every aspect but on balance, the Jackets are vastly improved when players become more like him.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
This is the CBJ prospect thread...not the OB thread. "Stay on target" :darth:

It looks like Hjorth and Knazko have both gotten off to strong starts for their Finnish U20 teams and been promoted to play with the big boys. Excited to see what they do against the better competition.
Hjorth didn't last much. not sure if he would have done better with more actual ice time but he had a hard time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just listened to Alison and Porty on their latest Front and Nationwide podcast. Porty is taking the possibility very seriously that Sillinger makes the team. From his discussions with Jarmo and possibly others they seem to have a very high opinion on his two-way play and think he might help the big club immediately.

I thought I was the most bullish on Sillinger but that's a bit far for me. I didn't think he was great defensively last year as a centerman. Perhaps because of his inefficient skating he didn't always keep up with his man. When he did he dominated, but he was inconsistent. I do agree that Sillinger looked great in all respects at Traverse City, his skating looked improved too. I'm just not ready to take the mental leap and imagine him being that effective against NHLers so soon.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7201

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I just listened to Alison and Porty on their latest Front and Nationwide podcast. Porty is taking the possibility very seriously that Sillinger makes the team. From his discussions with Jarmo and possibly others they seem to have a very high opinion on his two-way play and think he might help the big club immediately.

I thought I was the most bullish on Sillinger but that's a bit far for me. I didn't think he was great defensively last year as a centerman. Perhaps because of his inefficient skating he didn't always keep up with his man. When he did he dominated, but he was inconsistent. I do agree that Sillinger looked great in all respects at Traverse City, his skating looked improved too. I'm just not ready to take the mental leap and imagine him being that effective against NHLers so soon.
Obviously camp will determine it but him even being allowed in the AHL this year seems like a real stroke of good luck that in my unprofessional opinion should be capitalized on. A full year of Angle-Sillinger-Chinakhov playing as a top line in the AHL would be great. Wherever he ends up I want to see him stay there for a while and settle in.

I could see him starting in the AHL then a few months in getting called up permanently if the AHL is way too easy for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously camp will determine it but him even being allowed in the AHL this year seems like a real stroke of good luck that in my unprofessional opinion should be capitalized on. A full year of Angle-Sillinger-Chinakhov playing as a top line in the AHL would be great. Wherever he ends up I want to see him stay there for a while and settle in.

I could see him starting in the AHL then a few months in getting called up permanently if the AHL is way too easy for him.

Yes, Cleveland as an option makes it a very easy decision in my book.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7201

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I want Chinakhov and Sillinger to both start in Cleveland. If they do great there for a couple of months and force their way to the big club, great. If Sillinger burns a year, that is fine if he is blowing up in Cleveland. But the goal should be what is the best thing for their development, not “let’s put the 13 best forwards in Columbus”. And I think starting in Cleveland is the best thing long term. And I think a good playoff run in the AHL would help them both immensely.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I want Chinakhov and Sillinger to both start in Cleveland. If they do great there for a couple of months and force their way to the big club, great. If Sillinger burns a year, that is fine if he is blowing up in Cleveland. But the goal should be what is the best thing for their development, not “let’s put the 13 best forwards in Columbus”. And I think starting in Cleveland is the best thing long term. And I think a good playoff run in the AHL would help them both immensely.
Would be nice to see the organization really push for a Calder Cup this year. Even just a playoff appearance would help our guys a lot going forward.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Marchenko now has 5 Goals and 7 Pts in 8 Games. Could be a huge year for him! Perhaps we see him in Columbus before the end of this season burning the first year of his ELC (assuming SKA doesn't go way deep into the post-season).

Chinny needs to have a good experience this season to help convince Marchenko to make the jump.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Marchenko now has 5 Goals and 7 Pts in 8 Games. Could be a huge year for him! Perhaps we see him in Columbus before the end of this season burning the first year of his ELC (assuming SKA doesn't go way deep into the post-season).

Chinny needs to have a good experience this season to help convince Marchenko to make the jump.
I saw his stats:

From 5+2 - he has 4+1 against not too strong teams: 2+1 against Admiral, 1+0 against Amur and 1+0 against Severstal (in that time Severstal didn`t really play good). But -2 against strong Avtomobilist. 3+2 in PP.

SKA versus Amur Khabarovsk and Admiral Vladivostok - if compare, as I wrote - Tampa Bay in better condition versus Bufallo in worse. Especially if Admiral had to fly 9 hours to St. Peterburg.
So we can`t watch points and his play according them now.

St. Peterburgh will play a game with Salavat Yulayev tomorrow. Ufa is a strong team so we`ll see. I'm looking forward to the game, I'll be watching for sure (hopefully). :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I watched SKA versus Salavat Yulaev game. Except 10 games in the end, Salavat was destroying SKA.
Marchenko was invisible. One take away, one blocking and it`s all what he did.
But it`s O.K. Salavat is one of the best KHL teams and SKA is enough young team. And one game isn`t anything.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I watched SKA versus Salavat Yulaev game. Except 10 games in the end, Salavat was destroying SKA.
Marchenko was invisible. One take away, one blocking and it`s all what he did.
But it`s O.K. Salavat is one of the best KHL teams and SKA is enough young team. And one game isn`t anything.
Yeah he did not have a good game. Also had two bad turnovers in his own zone. Still wish that he could get more ice time.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah he did not have a good game. Also had two bad turnovers in his own zone. Still wish that he could get more ice time.
I would like to see Marchenko--Vey--Khusnutdinov line but... but I doubt. You know, Bragin prefers similar style like Torts. That`s why grinder Timkin is in the first line although he`s the fourth line player. And Marchenko plays with Vorobyov and Emil Galimov.
But it was funny to watch SKA "stars" (I don`t mean young guys like Marchenko).

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
'He's a pit bull': Blue Jackets prospect James Malatesta is built for the next level

“He has a violent, violent shot, unbelievable speed, and he’s highly, highly competitive where he’s got that Brad Marchand and Yanni Gourde element about him where he’s got speed and this tenacious, ratty, pain in the ass to play against attitude. And he relishes those comparables. That fuels him,” said Jon Goyens, who coached Malatesta with the Lac St-Louis Lions and then against him in the QMJHL for a season as the head coach of the Baie-Comeau Drakkar.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"violent, violent shot, unbelievable speed"

None of this came to mind when I watched the Traverse City games. He is a little pinball though.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm guessing it means it's a heavy shot but not at all accurate

happy-gilmore.gif

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
According to ancestry.com:

Italian: nickname for a stubborn, malicious, or treacherous person, from malus (feminine mala) ‘bad’, ‘evil’ + testa ‘head’. In the form Malatestas, this is also found as a Greek name.

So, perhaps him having a 'violent' shot is fitting. :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad