Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

Porty reported he doesn't think he's signing. I know people here are skiddish on the guy but I trust it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Porty reported he doesn't think he's signing. I know people here are skiddish on the guy but I trust it.

I gotta think that JK and JD will attempt to do what ever it takes. I mean Jarmo is a prospect guy so im sure he knows what hes worth.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I don't believe that Reilly will signing too. But it may be a miracle and while Ryan " sick all, even inflammation of lungs in thirty-degree heat" Murray will be the 1000th time in IR, I'm going to watch pair Reilly-Werenski in our team.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
CBJP was talking to someone up there and basically they were saying their opinion is that Reilly is just trying to use leverage to get more money...makes sense...just may get ugly

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
CBJP was talking to someone up there and basically they were saying their opinion is that Reilly is just trying to use leverage to get more money...makes sense...just may get ugly

Aren't all ELC's capped as far as salary goes? I think bonuses are allowed but I'm not sure how they work. I'd back up the truck with bonuses if that's what it takes.

Research:

From an article on Seth Jones' contract:

The contract has a base salary of $925,000 with maximum rookie contract signing bonuses giving him a salary-cap number of $3.225 million, the team said on its website.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677459

If we want him I think we go max; otherwise someone else will.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There can't be a "bidding war" like Porty has said for Mike Reilly since there is a rookie salary cap and even bonuses are capped. So, if the CBJ offer him the max, he can't get more elsewhere.

The likelihood he will actually be able to make those bonuses or even his NHL salary vs playing in the AHL is the difference in how much he actually makes. A team could sign him for less money and if he played the whole season in the NHL and met all of his bonus criteria and make more than if signed a huge ELC and played the whole season in the AHL.

So, teams could offer a better opportunity, but it would be ice time vs development and short term vs long term money. If he tries to find a team that will guarantee him NHL ice time so he can avoid slumming it in the AHL, he might make more money his first season but also if he struggles, he might have a very short NHL career. Unfortunately, agents tend to be focused on the short term money they can make off their client, so who knows what type of advice Reilly will get.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Reilly is just in it for the money id rather trade him, which sucks bc he is good

I think guys who play because they love the game and don't care about the $ are a thing of the past. Reilly could also be looking at playing opportunity, closeness to home, prospects for a deep run in the playoffs right away, a bunch of things.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Aren't all ELC's capped as far as salary goes? I think bonuses are allowed but I'm not sure how they work. I'd back up the truck with bonuses if that's what it takes.

Research:

From an article on Seth Jones' contract:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677459

If we want him I think we go max; otherwise someone else will.

Rookie contracts are capped. The max actual salary he can earn is $925,000 (and only 10% of his actual salary number can be given as a signing bonus) but almost all rookie contracts contain bonuses that can reach as high as $2,850,000.

The bonuses are set so high (for a defenseman, 10G, 25A, 40P, etc) that all but the very best won't reach them. These do count as part of their cap hit though.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

But can't you just appreciate the video without thrusting everyone back into this repetitive debate?

Everyone has seen your opinion and we appreciate it. I'm not saying you're wrong or that I know otherwise .... but do you always have to make the pessimistic comment?

Regardless of what happens with Mike Reilly, the important thing is that he was a Scott Howson draft pick, and his success will give Mayor Bee another bullet to fire in that debate. :)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
while true, no bidding war can happen, but he opts for free agency rather than sign by June (August?) then there will be one...

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think guys who play because they love the game and don't care about the $ are a thing of the past. Reilly could also be looking at playing opportunity, closeness to home, prospects for a deep run in the playoffs right away, a bunch of things.

who is the last you can remember or name? Patches seems like he could have made a lot more and consistently tries to better himself imo

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
It'd be interesting if he cares a lot about money since his family is rich. Maybe that's why he wants to make as much as he can, though. To prove himself.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
But can't you just appreciate the video without thrusting everyone back into this repetitive debate?

Everyone has seen your opinion and we appreciate it. I'm not saying you're wrong or that I know otherwise .... but do you always have to make the pessimistic comment?

Regardless of what happens with Mike Reilly, the important thing is that he was a Scott Howson draft pick, and his success will give Mayor Bee another bullet to fire in that debate. :)

To be fair, I don't think anyone here cares about Mike Reilly's career if he doesn't sign with us. And since it seems unlikely by reports, I don't see why we have to talk about him anymore.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
To be fair, I don't think anyone here cares about Mike Reilly's career if he doesn't sign with us. And since it seems unlikely by reports, I don't see why we have to talk about him anymore.

If you think that way, maybe better to just stay out of the conversation, rather than continue to bring it down?

And you're wrong, if he signs somewhere else, I think plenty of people here will still care about his career. I know I will.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Do either of you know for a fact that it's dollars he's chasing? What if it has more to do with playing time?

The Jackets are, believe it or not, in great shape on the blueline. Reilly coming here wouldn't be slated to play much anytime soon. When Murray's healthy, I don't think he's in the top-six. He's still not strong enough to play in the NHL and my opinion is that, if he signs somewhere and plays this year, he struggles mightily. My guess is he's a regular press box attendee for at least a year, at which point he will be nearing 23 years old.

We're talking about a kid who has never played an NHL game and is almost 22 years old. There is certainly no sure bet that he becomes even an every day NHL player. What if he comes to the NHL and winds up like John Moore, a third pairing guy on his best day? Then will you all hate him for not signing here? Or better yet, hate Jarmo and JD for doing their due diligence and getting him to sign here?

At this point, none of us know anything because the player hasn't come out and said anything. Maybe he's just trying to focus on finishing up his collegiate career before he decides on anything?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Maybe so, but not in a positive way.

Same. If Reilly snubs us he'll be Carter 2.0 to me. Given the comments early this year at training camp it is clear that the coaching staff urged him to turn pro, so his leaving is not a result of lack of opportunity it is a conscious choice to leave the team that drafted him. While the reason may not be money it is still IMO crap. If you want playing time earn it by being better than the other people ahead of you on the depth chart, particularly when you have coaches telling you that you are ready to play in the top 6 pairing duty in the NHL.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The writing is pretty much on the wall. Given the college loophole and the fact he declined an ELC without any promise to sign one (Like Calvert). It's pretty clear his intentions. If that's whats best for his career than fine he should do it, that doesn't mean I won't wish the kid a good career. Quite opposite actually, just like Hayes and Schultz.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Rychel looks like he is going to be a stud. Top 3 in springy +- wise, youngest player on the team, tied for team lead in goals, third in assists, 2nd in points. (ignoring Luke Adam)

Really think he will be a great player. Its bold but I can see him being better than Horton.

think he deserves a chance up here with the big guys. maybe give him a chance with joey and hartsy

43 19 52 very similar to our first line last year with 38 19 8
71 42 41 basically the line of 71 42 18 but wennberg has more skill
11 17 13 same third line as last year
?? 55 ??

id like to see him get a chance again if it dosent work out send him back down when we get morin/gibbons/boone back and if he does well then hey we got another RW
He does have our best points/60 mins as well even though its a small sample size :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Rychel looks like he is going to be a stud. Top 3 in springy +- wise, youngest player on the team, tied for team lead in goals, third in assists, 2nd in points. (ignoring Luke Adam)

Really think he will be a great player. Its bold but I can see him being better than Horton.

think he deserves a chance up here with the big guys. maybe give him a chance with joey and hartsy

43 19 52 very similar to our first line last year with 38 19 8
71 42 41 basically the line of 71 42 18 but wennberg has more skill
11 17 13 same third line as last year
?? 55 ??

id like to see him get a chance again if it dosent work out send him back down when we get morin/gibbons/boone back and if he does well then hey we got another RW
He does have our best points/60 mins as well even though its a small sample size :sarcasm:

It's been said before but I think the ELC slide rule definitely comes into play with Rychel. It would be different if we were in the thick of a playoff race. But, where the CBJ are now, I prefer that he's playing a big role down there and developing and I especially prefer it knowing he'll still be on his ELC for 3 more years if he doesn't hit 9 NHL games.

Separating his next contract negotiation (Overhardt is his agent) from that for Wennberg and Dano is a good thing from a business standpoint. And if the FO thinks the playoffs are out of reach, business decisions can trump hockey decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad