Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Can we blame him though? I mean, if I was 18 again and was asked if i was excited about going to a team that's only had 2 playoff appearances in 14 years and only 2 playoff wins, plays to a half house most nights, probably less people than he plays for on the average Minnesota college game, and is second banana to Ohio State? I don't think I would be jumping up and down per se, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't show up and give it my best. I'm not reading into it too much...

He'll be 22 in July, but yes he is young. I would have liked to hear him say that I want to change only having made the playoffs twice. I want to go to Columbus and make a difference.

I find it hard to believe that this loophole still exists. For a kid to become a free agent, for lack of a better term, that has been drafted is ridiculous.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He's not super eloquent, but he's pretty good with interviews. The Gophers are in the middle of what could end up as one the most disappointing seasons in decades. If he spoke thoroughly about going pro after this year, he'd have an angry coach and fanbase to answer to on why he's already thinking about the pros next year.

Last edited:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
He's not super eloquent, but he's pretty good with interviews. The Gophers are in the middle of what could end up as one the most disappointing seasons in decades. If he spoke thoroughly about going pro after this year, he'd have an angry coach and fanbase to answer to on why he's already thinking about the pros next year.
I'd like to think that this is it. Mike Reilly seems like a smart kid with good intentions. I think throughout this whole "ordeal" he's just trying to not step on anyone's toes.

I'm still not 100% sold that he signs with us but I'm becoming more optimistic about it. I think it's one of the most important things that GMJK will be tasked with this summer. IMO it'll probably be more important that he signs Reilly than whatever it is he does with free agency.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

I suspect if he didn't want to sign with him, his agent adviser would have told him not to do the interview.

I don't think he'll sign but this interview is much ado about nothing imo.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I'm wondering what he talked with management about. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to get him to leave college after his season is over.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm wondering what he talked with management about. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to get him to leave college after his season is over.

They were probably just checking in. Hows the season going, hows your grades, the family, etc.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
your question interested me, so:

3 Minnesota 10 99,706 9,971 10,000 99.7

The "3" represents third in the country for Div. I. Clearly, playing in front of an almost full house must be great (99.7% of capacity), but the average attendance (9,971) is less than the reported current average for the Jackets (15,600+, according to this:

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2015/1/20/7853751/the-columbus-hockey-scene).

I have no point, just satisfying my own curiosity.

That's interesting, I would never have guess we were averaging that many, happy to see that! Most nights during the week, it seems there aren't more than 12k. and only selling out chicago and NYR-opening night and pitt, i figured the average would be closer to 14k

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It's interesting how you give Wennberg such a free pass when he has 1 goal in 3 times as many minutes, playing with scoring lines, occasionally on the PP, as Boll does who you absolutely crucify for having 1 less goal than Wennberg, despite that not being his job...

I'm not saying Boll is any comparison whatsoever to Wennberg, it's just interesting who we choose to jump all over, but I think Wennberg needs to be in Springfield crafting his scoring touch, not just being a serviceable center. He's played better of late and shows flashes of more to come, but this isn't the place for him to learn on the job, he's had plenty of time here and he's stuggling to put the puck in the net. He should be playing 20 minutes a night in Springfield and dominating that league now.

Wennberg is 1,000 times the player Boll is. Anyone who watched last nights game knows that.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Wennberg is 1,000 times the player Boll is. Anyone who watched last nights game knows that.

Dude...read what I wrote, I said there is no comparing them as players, I was just pointing out one player has 1 goal getting 16 min a game with the scoring lines, the other 0 playing 5 minutes with scrubs, and everybody gives Wennberg a pass for not scoring and crucifies Boll. He needs to be in the minors when we get healthy. I would never sit Wennberg in favor of Boll, that wasn't my point at all. But I would sit Tropp, who is more unproductive in every category than Boll even. Everyone just remembers the one goal Tropp had against Pitt last year and act like he's Mike Bossy.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dude...read what I wrote, I said there is no comparing them as players, I was just pointing out one player has 1 goal getting 16 min a game with the scoring lines, the other 0 playing 5 minutes with scrubs, and everybody gives Wennberg a pass for not scoring and crucifies Boll. He needs to be in the minors when we get healthy. I would never sit Wennberg in favor of Boll, that wasn't my point at all. But I would sit Tropp, who is more unproductive in every category than Boll even. Everyone just remembers the one goal Tropp had against Pitt last year and act like he's Mike Bossy.

Is there even anyone left that cares about Tropp? Not really a good argument to make. The difference between Boll and Wennberg is Wennberg has the trust to play those minutes. He's only there because of our situation but atleast on the PK he deserves it. I want him in the minors too but hes a 20 year old on what has become a 1 line team. All that doesn't include Boll's penalties for his minutes played. At the end of the day Boll makes too much money and it will be held against him until its up

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If you read a little more carefully, you'll see that my assessment of Wennberg is his place on this roster, not in the league. Every move JK has made, with the exception of acquiring Gaborik, has been in a direction that Wennberg doesn't seem to fit.

That said, he's doing real well lately, tonight included. Possible that an uptick in production changes perceptions

JK and JD have preached getting smarter, faster, skilled and more competitive. That continue to promote play in all three zones. I just don't see how you can say Wennberg doesn't fit this mold. He is competitive, and I don't mean he hits people but rather he doesn't give up on the play or the puck, he's smart, he's skilled and he plays all three zones not to mention on the PK & PP.

He may not be really ready for the NHL but he's closer to being ready than not in my opinion. Like Joey, learn to play the game in your own zone and then left the offense come. I love this pick.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Maybe because he is young and brings other things to the team. Name one thing Boll brings to the team.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
After the two seasons of frustration we had with Joey in his first two years, and then the sudden boom in years 3 and 4, I'm taking the time to wait on Wennberg. If by year 3 he's not advancing offensively, I'll start to get worried. But he's playing 3rd line center and getting better as the season has gone on. I'm happy with the way he's played.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Lulea hasn't had a very good year it seems, but Daniel Zaar is having a pretty good first full season in the SHL. 19 points in 40 games despite getting less than 15 mins of TOI per game. Only 2-3 points out of leading his team in scoring.

I still think he's one of our most underrated prospects. Think he could be a good 3rd line scorer one day if he keeps progressing like this.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Zaar in SHL in 40 Gp has 6G 13A 19P projects to 8G 18A 26P in full SHL season...

Zaar has out scored Wennberg in Sweden, not that that means anything but he is putting up a little bit more points than Wennberg.

Definitely a steal.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Zaar in SHL in 40 Gp has 6G 13A 19P projects to 8G 18A 26P in full SHL season...

Zaar has out scored Wennberg in Sweden, not that that means anything but he is putting up a little bit more points than Wennberg.

Definitely a steal.

Wennberg put up 16 goals and 5 assists last year. Not quite outscoring him yet, but probably going to get there. I just wonder if Zaar's going to be able to play on small ice.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wennberg put up 16 goals and 5 assists last year. Not quite outscoring him yet, but probably going to get there. I just wonder if Zaar's going to be able to play on small ice.

So we can count on Zaar for 2 goals a season?:sarcasm::yo::laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sedlak and Zaar is a pretty strange comparison to make...

I presume the comparison is in terms of ceiling. Sedlak isn't nearly the goal scorer but plays a good all around game. Zaar is scoring well in the Swedish League, but he'll really have to light it up, more than he has, to be useful to the Jackets. We don't need a third-line pint-sized player who's really only skill is goal scoring.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I presume the comparison is in terms of ceiling. Sedlak isn't nearly the goal scorer but plays a good all around game. Zaar is scoring well in the Swedish League, but he'll really have to light it up, more than he has, to be useful to the Jackets. We don't need a third-line pint-sized player who's really only skill is goal scoring.
6'0 is pint sized? Today I learned that I am considered pint-sized..

I think you might be underrating the other aspects of Zaar's game. He's a fine forechecker and plays okay D, just needs to get stronger but 95% of prospects need to do that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
6'0 is pint sized? Today I learned that I am considered pint-sized..

I think you might be underrating the other aspects of Zaar's game. He's a fine forechecker and plays okay D, just needs to get stronger but 95% of prospects need to do that.

Good catch. :) That's what I get for using hockeydb over eliteprospects. Hockeydb still has him listed at 167 pounds. Eliteprospects has him at 179. I was wondering why he wasn't growing! So undersized, not pint-sized.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Portland Winterhawks
@ pdxwinterhawks
Oliver Bjorkstrand has a hat
trick as the Hawks defeat Tri-Cities 7-5
for their fifth straight victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad