OT: CBJ Lounge XX (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Berkley Breathed's "Bloom County"
But you youngsters are probably too youngster to know about it.

spock_jock.gif

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Berkley Breathed's "Bloom County"
But you youngsters are probably too youngster to know about it.

Early Bloom County is second favorite comic of all time. Only trails Calvin and Hobbes.

My favorite Bloom County strip, still relevant today:

offensensitivity.gif

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Early Bloom County is second favorite comic of all time. Only trails Calvin and Hobbes.

My favorite Bloom County strip, still relevant today:

offensensitivity.gif

Bingo. Bloom County was brilliant and demented. Although I would rate it third behind C&H and Peanuts.

Breathed won a Pulitzer for it and walked away two years later because he thought most strips didn't age well and didn't want his work to suffer from success. Always respected that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Breathed won a Pulitzer for it and walked away two years later because he thought most strips didn't age well and didn't want his work to suffer from success. Always respected that.

Indeed. He did come back with Outland or some-such name. It was wiggity-wack-ier. My recollextion is it wasn't around long.

I read an interview recently (the interview itself may have been older) with Bill Watterson, who did Calvin & Hobbes. Apparently he never does interviews, is kind of a recluse (like Mattlund). Anyway he was asked about ending the strip, and he said basically the same.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Indeed. He did come back with Outland or some-such name. It was wiggity-wack-ier. My recollextion is it wasn't around long.

I read an interview recently (the interview itself may have been older) with Bill Watterson, who did Calvin & Hobbes. Apparently he never does interviews, is kind of a recluse (like Mattlund). Anyway he was asked about ending the strip, and he said basically the same.

If only Mattlund and Samkow would have heeded the sage advice.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Recently been in touch with Eva aka: Mt-Svk and she wanted to let the CBJ HF posters know she is still a Blue Jackets (and Sens) fan, but is unable to watch the NHL games late into the night as she has in the past due to recent medical issues. In case you didn't know she lives in Slovakia.

Of course, she is keeping up with the KHL and misses posting here. Hopefully, she will return to our board soon.

Just an FYI for those wondering. Sending her our best, I'm sure!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Recently been in touch with Eva aka: Mt-Svk and she wanted to let the CBJ HF posters know she is still a Blue Jackets (and Sens) fan, but is unable to watch the NHL games late into the night as she has in the past due to recent medical issues. In case you didn't know she lives in Slovakia.

Of course, she is keeping up with the KHL and misses posting here. Hopefully, she will return to our board soon.

Thanks for the update, Derby, and for conveying our best to her.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Thanks for the update, Derby, it's a shame that one of the biggest CBJ fans has been unable to follow this recent stretch of good play. Wish her well from us all when you next communicate with her.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus Named Most Intelligent City In America

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/21859068/columbus-named-most-intelligent-city-in-america

This is certainly interesting.

S-M-R-T! :)

* * *​
Criteria did not include an analysis of comments on the web site of the city's daily newspaper.

Allow me to depress you by suggesting that even those moments of horror are potentially above average for such fora.

"Even our boneheaded idiots are better than your boneheaded idiots."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
S-M-R-T! :)

* * *​

Allow me to depress you by suggesting that even those moments of horror are potentially above average for such fora.

"Even our boneheaded idiots are better than your boneheaded idiots."

Yeah I know. It just was fun to post. I like to poin out when other people are stupid. (Don't like it as much the other way 'round.)

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
Starting a class soon that has exclusively electronic reading materials (I guess books are dead) Went to the store and sort of got suckered into buying an iPad. It's pretty neat. Netflix in bed is certainly an exciting prospect

Can anyone tell me how it how it knows to turn on when I peel the screen cover back?

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
dang it, this means the Dispatch goes back to being "Ohio's Greatest Newspaper" by default.

Not exactly a high bar there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad