Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets re-sign Ryan Murray [1 year/$2.825M]

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Fair signing, 24 yr old top 4 blueliner gradually getting better each season, wish Edmonton would've drafted him instead of Yakupov in 2012.
I hope Petra signs Nurse to a similar deal, and ignore Darnell's agent bringing up Hedman as a comparable. I would do Murray+ for Nurse any day of the week
Have you seen them paired together at Worlds this year? Worst decision ever made by whoever was in charge with that.

Jun 15, 2007
Isn't calling him top 4 a bit generous? 5th in icetime on CBJ at 18 mins. 6th if you only count ES.

Advanced statistics suggests Jones, Werenski, Savard and Nutivaara are all ahead.

Reactions: Fixxer

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
He'll play with Nutivaara on the second pair in all likelihood this year and actually get to consistently play the left side (consistent position and partner has been an issue with his constantly babysitting).

He may start the year as the LD with Jones depending on Werenski's recovery.

This is a nice one year show me that leaves him an RFA at very affordable cost.

Oh and torts trusts this guy.

Reactions: Xoggz22

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Isn't calling him top 4 a bit generous? 5th in icetime on CBJ at 18 mins. 6th if you only count ES.

Advanced statistics suggests Jones, Werenski, Savard and Nutivaara are all ahead.

Just Becuase CBJ is stacked..doesn't mean Murray isn't a good top 4 guy.

Malkin is an elite #1 C but is a "2C"

Reactions: Viqsi

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego

Sure, based on useage he has probably been #5 on CBJ last couple seasons. But if he’s healthy, he can comfortably be pencilled in on the 2nd pair, and probably is 4th in the depth chart in Torts’ mind right now.

Most of 16-17, Johnson-Savard was the 2nd pair, and Murray-Nutivaara were the third pair. 17-18, that Johnson-Savard pair struggled and for a good stretch of the season Murray and Nutivaara were more leaned on as the 2nd pair.

He is likely a 3 or 4 on most teams in the league.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

After he returned from injury this year in February he was 3rd in ice time from all D. In playoffs as well.

Reactions: Xoggz22

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Murray's with him vs without him isn't so pretty when you're looking at when he is on the ice versus on the bench.

What if MURRAY is put out most of the time against the other teams best players, and in the most vulnerable situation? So the players that are playing with Murray have their "numbers" affected by the OTHER TEAMS better players, not Murray.

Your "analytics" can NOT comprehend or explain to the concept of "usage". I'm not talking about zone starts.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Murray could have been a great skater if he didn't have so many back and knee issues, but as is he is perhaps the worst skater on the Jackets D-core. I like Murray's vision and passing, but that's his only above average quality in my opinion. He's mostly average - a #4/#5.

Remember that this just tells you how good he is relative to the other Jackets defensemen. He's solidly behind Werenski, Jones, Nutivaara, and possibly Savard.

He's not Scott Neidermayer or Paul Coffey out there, but his skating is fine. He's a better skater than Savard and pretty comparable to Werenski and Kukan. He's not even the #4 on the CBJ right now. #3 at worst. He very well may have the best chance to start the year with Jones, pretty good for a #4-5, eh?

After he returned from injury this year in February he was 3rd in ice time from all D. In playoffs as well.

Oh look, REAL NUMBERS.

Just divide them a couple times, and VOILA, you have "advanced reality".

Reactions: mikeyp24

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What if MURRAY is put out most of the time against the other teams best players, and in the most vulnerable situation? So the players that are playing with Murray have their "numbers" affected by the OTHER TEAMS better players, not Murray.

Your "analytics" can NOT comprehend or explain to the concept of "usage". I'm not talking about zone starts.

Actually usage is a part of analytics, and not just zone starts. We have tools like quality of competition, and game state. If you think Murray is frequently out there for holding leads and that's dragging down his numbers, then you can just look at it when he's tied. Or you can subtract his minutes with Jones - which are defensive.

He's not Scott Neidermayer or Paul Coffey out there, but his skating is fine. He's a better skater than Savard and pretty comparable to Werenski and Kukan. He's not even the #4 on the CBJ right now. #3 at worst. He very well may have the best chance to start the year with Jones, pretty good for a #4-5, eh?

Oh look, REAL NUMBERS.

Just divide them a couple times, and VOILA, you have "advanced reality".

Those are real numbers, yes. Real numbers you just made up. By my eye, Murray isn't as comfortable skating as he used to be. He's definitely slower - not as slowed down as Olli Maatta, but slow. Kukan is fast. Werenski is an ungainly skater but deceptively quick. Put them in a race and I think you'd be surprised.

I'd put Murray with Jones, but mostly because it's easier to play next to Jones and it's a good opportunity for Murray. We already know he can't do what Nutivaara does and play on the right side.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I remember the days of peddling Kessel out of Toronto in proposals and CBJ fans ridiculing at proposing Kessel for Murry straight up as laughable. Young defensemen are often mystery box.

Have no issues with Murray or this deal, not trolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I'm willing to bet that was heavily influenced by the effect it'd have had on our salary cap at the time.
I can specifically remember you ridiculing Kessel for being a winger and Murray as an emerging young stud defenseman on the verge of a breakout.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can specifically remember you ridiculing Kessel for being a winger and Murray as an emerging young stud defenseman on the verge of a breakout.
At the time, that was true. The problem is that he's stagnated.

(That and, when Kessel was still a Leaf, Werenski and Nutivaara weren't Jackets yet, so our LHD depth consisted of Murray, JJ, and hopes and dreams a fast-fading Tyutin.)

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
At the time, that was true. The problem is that he's stagnated.

(That and, when Kessel was still a Leaf, Werenski and Nutivaara weren't Jackets yet, so our LHD depth consisted of Murray, JJ, and hopes and dreams a fast-fading Tyutin.)
All good, I was making the proposal for Murray at the time, shared a similar mindset at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad