Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets re-sign Ryan Murray [1 year/$2.825M]

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i haven't really watched this guy since he was a rookie, but he looked very mature and impressive then. i remember his brains looked elite.

how is he now? has he improved, stagnated, regressed with or despite all the injuries?

just looking at his stats, it looks like his offense never developed. but would you compare him to, say, chris tanev, another guy who always gets hurt, isn't flashy, won't score you points, but is a brain surgeon on his own side of the ice?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He's fine. He won't jump out at you but that's not a bad thing. He just misses too much time with injuries. When healthy he's a 2nd pairing guy who could maybe still reach his ceiling.

From what I remember his ceiling at the draft was supposed to be a top 4 guy all the time. The knock on him was always not being a top pairing guy

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
From what I remember his ceiling at the draft was supposed to be a top 4 guy all the time. The knock on him was always not being a top pairing guy

The knock was that he had no offensive game. But he was expected to be a top pairing two way guy. Some believed he would be like Scott Niedermayer, which is obviously lofty expectations.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The knock was that he had no offensive game. But he was expected to be a top pairing two way guy. Some believed he would be like Scott Niedermayer, which is obviously lofty expectations.

I remember that draft like yesterday. They had said his offensive side was non existent and that he would not be a top guy but his chances of busting completely was also extremely low

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I remember that draft like yesterday. They had said his offensive side was non existent and that he would not be a top guy but his chances of busting completely was also extremely low

Some scouts say what you said, no offensive game, some said there was more to give there (McKenzie's scouts).

Reactions: Fixxer

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Murray is a great fit as the shutdown guy on the 2nd pairing. He’s not going to get PP time here, nor is he going to pass Werenski for the 1st pairing LHD spot. Maybe he’s hit his “ceiling” with Columbus, but I think he’s got more to give if he were playing on a lesser defensive group (and, of course, played 70-75+ games).

I haven't seen any advanced stats thay show him as a good defensive guy. His c.f. rel makes him look like he has been dragging down his partners.
His other possession and quality of opponent numbers make him look like a decent number 5, 4 on a weak team.

Can he play on the right side?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Columbus' win/lost with him in the lineup vs without is sick...he has been quality, just not a #2 pick quality

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I'm not sure if that's fair value, but a trade like that makes sense for both sides. The Islanders need a guy to replace CDH and it wouldn't hurt the Blue Jackets to add some offence.
After we lost the guy from your avi, our defence took a huuuuge unfixable hit, we can't afford to lose Murr. :)

Reactions: BHD

major major

Feb 18, 2013
i haven't really watched this guy since he was a rookie, but he looked very mature and impressive then. i remember his brains looked elite.

how is he now? has he improved, stagnated, regressed with or despite all the injuries?

just looking at his stats, it looks like his offense never developed. but would you compare him to, say, chris tanev, another guy who always gets hurt, isn't flashy, won't score you points, but is a brain surgeon on his own side of the ice?

No. Tanev is rangier and quicker, and uses his frame better. Murray could have been a great skater if he didn't have so many back and knee issues, but as is he is perhaps the worst skater on the Jackets D-core. I like Murray's vision and passing, but that's his only above average quality in my opinion. He's mostly average - a #4/#5.

I haven't seen any advanced stats thay show him as a good defensive guy. His c.f. rel makes him look like he has been dragging down his partners.
His other possession and quality of opponent numbers make him look like a decent number 5, 4 on a weak team.

Remember that this just tells you how good he is relative to the other Jackets defensemen. He's solidly behind Werenski, Jones, Nutivaara, and possibly Savard. So of course his relative stats are going to be poor. But he moves the puck well - not a bad player like Kris Russell or Michael Stone. He can't play on the right side, unfortunately. The Jackets tried that and it failed.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not sure if that's fair value, but a trade like that makes sense for both sides. The Islanders need a guy to replace CDH and it wouldn't hurt the Blue Jackets to add some offence.

Nelson would get eaten alive by Torts. That and the Jackets just let JJ and Cole walk so Murray is actually needed.

Columbus' win/lost with him in the lineup vs without is sick...he has been quality, just not a #2 pick quality

Murray's with him vs without him isn't so pretty when you're looking at when he is on the ice versus on the bench.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

If he’s played on the right side, it’s been very sparingly. He’s a LHD through and through.

Just watch him when he plays for Columbus. He’s a steady, calming presence who doesn’t make boneheaded decisions. He’s a good player.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If he’s played on the right side, it’s been very sparingly. He’s a LHD through and through.

Just watch him when he plays for Columbus. He’s a steady, calming presence who doesn’t make boneheaded decisions. He’s a good player.
The few to.es I've seen him since junior he has looked like a guy who you want more from, but his injuries seemed to have killed his skating.
Originally he could have been a peak level Stralman. Fast good side to side, great defensively who has a above average pass and never gets nervous.

I think he is more a good 5 or decent 4 now. Maybe he needs a change of scenery?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The few to.es I've seen him since junior he has looked like a guy who you want more from, but his injuries seemed to have killed his skating.
He's been thrown every rookie AND Jack Johnson at him to babysit during last years. And he's been good at it. He's perfect fit with Nutivaara, kinda like what M. Methot was to EK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer and Fro

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I think Murray is a good player when you look past what people hoped for when he was drafted/post-rookie year.

Middle pairing guy. Solid. Still cheap. The issue will be his next long term contract where he will either be an asset or over paid.

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
1 yr deal so that he is a) on an "earn it deal" and b) still RFA next year for a possible long term deal

Also wouldn't be shocked if he were part of an offense upgrade package trade
Don't see Murray as part of a package with Werenski out for the beginning of the season. He'll get a lot of ice time and possibly play with Jones on top pair in Z's absence. He's part of the top 4 and would be just fine if he could stay healthy. Unfortuantely that's a big if...

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Fair signing, 24 yr old top 4 blueliner gradually getting better each season, wish Edmonton would've drafted him instead of Yakupov in 2012.
I hope Petra signs Nurse to a similar deal, and ignore Darnell's agent bringing up Hedman as a comparable. I would do Murray+ for Nurse any day of the week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad