Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Jackets re-sign Ryan Murray [1 year/$2.825M]

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
He is do for a Break Out season. Everyone already doubt him but D take longer time to Develop. They will be eating there pants after this.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is Murray a bottom pairing D or can he play top 4 minutes?

He's averaged 18 minutes over the past 2 years and his advanced stats are pretty bad. 18 minutes is probably close to 4/5D minutes.

The decision making and consistency aren't there for me. I am not sure how reliable he is and how much I'd trust him with big minutes.

Markus Nutivaara is a much better option IMO after watching him last year. Guy looks like a diamon in the rough.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I really like Murray from the eye test when I’ve been in Columbus. Hope he outplays that contract this year.. definitely capable.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
1 yr deal so that he is a) on an "earn it deal" and b) still RFA next year for a possible long term deal

Also wouldn't be shocked if he were part of an offense upgrade package trade

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
With Werenski and Jones holding down the top pair, Murray will be in a pretty equal competition with Savard and Nutivaara to hold down the top 4.

If he is healthy he can play up and down the lineup. If for some reason the top pair is split up, he is very likely to be the first man up to put with Jones.

Obviously it’s a big year for him and he has a lot to prove.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Part of the now infamous 2012 draft.
Yeah, the tippy-top of that draft turned out to be a bust, but a lot of the guys in the first round actually turned out into stars: Rielly, Trouba, Dumba, Lindholm and Skjei are all legitimate top-pairing guys (or close to). True, Forsberg is probably the only forward you could stick on a first line, but Vasy is a Vezina caliber goalie.

You look at the first round of the 2012 draft and you see a ton of defensemen. These guys take a longer time to develop thwn forwards, so it shouldn’t be unexpected that this draft looked very weak immediately afterwards, but it has definitely gotten better as these dmen have gotten into their primes.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's fine. He won't jump out at you but that's not a bad thing. He just misses too much time with injuries. When healthy he's a 2nd pairing guy who could maybe still reach his ceiling.

Reactions: Fixxer

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
A one year contract at his age would suggest no
Its a way to make the best of there options. Gavrikov is eligible to finally play here next year so if he signs to play here Murray can be signed cheap or walk while showing Gavrikov he has a reason to come here. He didnt sign 2 years back because we had way too much depth. JJ and Murray gone gives him a top 4 slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad