Prospect Info: CBJ in Traverse City, 2022 Edition | Sept. 15-19

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Great to hear. Hopefully it’s real weight. He should be ready for the jackets sooner rather than later.
yeah my whole thing with the "kent johnson needs to add weight" thing is that it's a flawed understanding tied to an arbitrary number.

what he needs is to add strength and explosiveness to his game. there's a correlation there with his weight, but plenty of lighter guys are extremely strong. he's basically the same size (or perhaps a bit bigger) than artemi panarin, who was the strongest guy on the ice when he was here.

there's been some lively debate on ohio state football message boards about the strength & conditioning program being too fixated on a player's ideal weight. i don't know enough to say one way or the other, but apparently more modern programs (like georgia) only focus on force output (velocity of max rep) as a measure of strength rather than weight.

not saying that applies as much in hockey (longer shifts, less frequent contact) but for things like skating stride and explosiveness, it probably does, which could help KJ more than just being a bigger body.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
8 lbs of muscle is a lot to gain in just a month lol
The few times I came back to lifting after not doing it for a while I gained about 10 lbs the first week back. I think it's a water weight retention and inflammation thing. Vice versa happened as well.

I'm just glad he cares about getting stronger. I imagine if he becomes really strong it will give him more options and freedom on ice to make plays, let alone the boost he'll get on defense and with quickness.
what he needs is to add strength and explosiveness to his game. there's a correlation there with his weight, but plenty of lighter guys are extremely strong. he's basically the same size (or perhaps a bit bigger) than artemi panarin, who was the strongest guy on the ice when he was here.
I generally agree but in his case KJ's frame is bigger than Panarin's. Johnson is about 3-4 inches taller and has low key broad shoulders while Panarin is more slight while also being shorter. Kent will likely need to be a bit heavier to have good on ice strength IMO.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

I don't get the idea of putting two weakish skaters Dumais and DBB on the same "scoring" line. Also a bit baffling that Malatesta and Dumais are both playing off-wing since their usual positions are on opposite sides.

Maybe the priority was to form best possible #1 line and not be so concerned about chemistry/balance through the lineup.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I don't get the idea of putting two weakish skaters Dumais and DBB on the same "scoring" line. Also a bit baffling that Malatesta and Dumais are both playing off-wing since their usual positions are on opposite sides.

Maybe the priority was to form best possible #1 line and not be so concerned about chemistry/balance through the lineup.
How good is Pyythia's skating?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I generally agree but in his case KJ's frame is bigger than Panarin's. Johnson is about 3-4 inches taller and has low key broad shoulders while Panarin is more slight while also being shorter. Kent will likely need to be a bit heavier to have good on ice strength IMO.
Artemi Panarin: listed at 6'0
Kent Johnson: listed at 6'1, but has said in multiple interviews that he's actually 6'0.

But definitely agree that they have seemingly different body types.

Reactions: VT

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Gonna have to take some serious horse PEDs to add 8lb of actual muscle in a month

These kind of tweets come out every off-season, and I still have no clue if the players geniunely think it's all muscle. I suspect/hope they just say they addes muscle because saying "I added 8lb of mass in a month" can sound like you were just really enjoying the vacation :laugh:

Reactions: thebus88

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Artemi Panarin: listed at 6'0
Kent Johnson: listed at 6'1, but has said in multiple interviews that he's actually 6'0.

But definitely agree that they have seemingly different body types.
I always figured Panarin to be 5'10 just by watching him, but his skating posture and proportions may deceive me. Kent Johnson looked taller than I thought he'd be when I was at his first game. Either way Panarin is built more narrow so him filled out is at a lighter weight than the filled out KJ I hope we see one day.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Not quite. Last season KHL used 3 types:

Classic European (30x60) 2 teams
NA (26x60) 5 teams, include SKA
Finnish (28x60) 17 teams
Good insight there. Just to add some, NA rink size is actually 26*61 and Finnish League rink sizes vary from 28*58 to international 30*60 (1 team), while most seem to be around 28*60, and narrowest one only 27.67*60 which is still quite not like NHL rink, but not that far off. There has been some suggestions to use 28*60 as a new European standard instead of good old international 30*60, but who knows if even NHL rinks are getting more and more widely adopted in Europe.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Hockey season is here!!

There’s a level of intensity/competitiveness that isn’t quite the same in this tourney now, since there isn’t a title/championship to win. There have been some somewhat lopsided games or somewhat surprising teams to make the finals in the past, but, most of the time the top 2 teams in the tourney playing in the championship were simply GREAT hockey games, in an ULTRA competitive scenario, where you could take away quite a bit more from the players, than in earlier games, imo.

Other than the “big name” guys, I remember being impressed with both Meyer and Ole Bjorgvik-Holm last year.

Interesting that OBH is getting an ‘A’, and I’ll be trying to focus on him, Mateychuk, and Marchenko quite a bit.

To add, Bjork is a guy to be looked at for the very 1st time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
thebus88 are you on location at Traverse City and seeing the games live? Awesome. Happy to read all your notes, likewise for anybody else there in person.

Hopefully the streams work for the games (and internationally too, I guess they should) but I don't have high expectations for the camera angles and general quality.

Let it begin!

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
thebus88 are you on location at Traverse City and seeing the games live? Awesome. Happy to read all your notes, likewise for anybody else there in person.

Hopefully the streams work for the games (and internationally too, I guess they should) but I don't have high expectations for the camera angles and general quality.

Let it begin!

I told myself all summer I was gonna go up for at least a day, but, as in years past, I’ve failed myself. The production level/ camera angles and quality have gotten quite a bit better the last few years, even though it can still be a bit hard to follow the numbers/players on the ice. Good to have a little roster #’s “cheat sheet” handy.

It’s awesome/beautiful up there in/near TC, growing up I went to hockey camp up there nearly every summer. Was actually up there last year just before the tournament. A huge reason I actually became a CBJ fan was going to this prospect tournament WAY back. (possibly the inaugural year)

OT: Martin Erat also. Dude looked like a young Bure at this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad