Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Gavin Bayreuther signs with the Blue Jackets (2 years, $750k AAV)

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Seattle is brutal.

I thought they were only allowed to take UFAs if they had a contract agreed?

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Are you implying that they wouldn't have had any takers on Domi at 50%? Pretty stupid take. Look at the contracts getting handed out and tell me you actually think they wouldn't have any takers for Domi at $2.3 mill/year and is UFA after the season. There would be takers, lol. If that's not what you're implying, then you're acting like people on HFBoards should know the conversations of the inner circles in the NHL, which is probably even dumber.

This is absolutely embarrassing for Seattle.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I know this is a longshot, but maybe, MAYBE in light of what happened with Kivlinieks Seattle picked Bayreuther as a kind of "mercy pick" rather than taking one of the other guys because it would have been so disruptive to the CBJ through no real fault of their own.

Francis calls up Jarmo "Hey man, sorry about what happened, so here's what I'm going to do...". Maybe Francis hopes it puts him in a good light for some future consideration down the road. Purely a solid citizen move.

I know there's no room for humanity and compassion in business or sports, but 20 years from now, I would not be surprised at all to read this in someone's memoir, Pollyanna-ish as it may be.

I find that highly unlikely. If that were the case, you would think that Francis would have mentioned Kivi at some point. Maybe something like, Columbus, the NHL and the Kraken have lost a promising young player in Kivi. The Kraken choose Bayreuther.

I think its more likely that Francis just made a bonehead move.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Forget Domi, why didnt they take Stenlund, Kukan, Carlsson or a bag of pucks? Even if they didnt want them, they could have traded any one of those for a draft pick.

In Stenlund's case they could have also buried him in the minors and use him as first call-up without it affecting their cap. At least they'd have had a depth piece to rely on in case of injuries.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Are you implying that they wouldn't have had any takers on Domi at 50%? Pretty stupid take. Look at the contracts getting handed out and tell me you actually think they wouldn't have any takers for Domi at $2.3 mill/year and is UFA after the season.

6 mil in actual salary though. What kind of return are you getting? Pavel Buchnevich got a 2nd round pick and was coming off of a good season. Might be a tough conversation with ownership to say you want to buy a 2nd/3rd round pick for 3 million dollars.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I know there's no room for humanity and compassion in business or sports.

Sports is all about humanity and compassion.
Intelligent post none the less. What you suggested is exactly what happened. Very nice of Francis and Kraken.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In Stenlund's case they could have also buried him in the minors and use him as first call-up without it affecting their cap. At least they'd have had a depth piece to rely on in case of injuries.
He would have to clear waivers first. There's no guarantee he passes through so then you lose him for nothing as well. At least now you've lost a guy early enough to replace them.

As for Domi, they just spent 700M on a franchise. Why waste almost 6M on a guy who won't play for you at the start of the year and maybe does for a few games before you trade him while retaining, so you're continuing to pay for him just to get a 3rd maybe a 2nd? Passing on him was a good idea.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
He would have to clear waivers first. There's no guarantee he passes through so then you lose him for nothing as well. At least now you've lost a guy early enough to replace them.

As for Domi, they just spent 700M on a franchise. Why waste almost 6M on a guy who won't play for you at the start of the year and maybe does for a few games before you trade him while retaining, so you're continuing to pay for him just to get a 3rd maybe a 2nd? Passing on him was a good idea.

So ask teams around the league if they're interested in Domi, in Kukan, Harrington, Stenlund, Grigorenko, etc. Flip any of them for a pick or a prospect. They could have literally just told GMs around the league: "hey fellas, I'm not really interested in keeping any CBJ's players, are any of you guys interested in any of them? Let me know which ones and what you'd give me for them.

Anything would have been better than picking an UFA that you knew wouldn't sign with you.

Stenlund was just an example of a player they could have chosen with no repercussion to their cap. Besides, it's better to gamble losing him to waivers, than literally NOTHING.

Reactions: uncleben

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Never heard of this guy until the expansion draft and now he is going straight back to CBJ :shakehead

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
5hylxo.jpg

mj2sexay

Jul 2, 2009
It's almost like given how Vegas was built (and I'm not saying lessons weren't learned around the league, but clearly someone overplayed their hand in a huge way) that hiring the most risk and trade averse executive in hockey was a really, really, really bad idea.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't get why you take someone and then not sign him. Columbus had better options available than nothing surely!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad