Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Gavin Bayreuther signs with the Blue Jackets (2 years, $750k AAV)

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I know this is a longshot, but maybe, MAYBE in light of what happened with Kivlinieks Seattle picked Bayreuther as a kind of "mercy pick" rather than taking one of the other guys because it would have been so disruptive to the CBJ through no real fault of their own.

Francis calls up Jarmo "Hey man, sorry about what happened, so here's what I'm going to do...". Maybe Francis hopes it puts him in a good light for some future consideration down the road. Purely a solid citizen move.

I know there's no room for humanity and compassion in business or sports, but 20 years from now, I would not be surprised at all to read this in someone's memoir, Pollyanna-ish as it may be.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They could've had Stenlund or Kukan if they were petrified of being stuck with Domi's 5.3 mil in cap space - really doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I had them taking Stenlund, but that's the problem with taking 30 players for a 23 man roster. Don't know if Stenlund (or whoever would have been displaced) would have had significant trade value.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
This is the biggest thing I have an issue with. I don't care that we passed on Domi. There's enough compelling argument for that to be a sound decision. But Kukan is a solid depth fill-in at good cost, which every team needs, and had they decided they were set on D (they drafted Bayreuther whose a Dman anyway...) then Stenlund who could be your 4C or a first injury call up and has some upside to be a full-time NHL bottom six guy. Instead they took a UFA they had no interest in signing. I get they only have so many roster spots but when you have a chance for a free asset, why would you take nothing instead?

This.

When Seattle looked at the available players from Columbus, they essentially said "pass." And that's just plain unacceptable.

Reactions: LokiDog

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I know this is a longshot, but maybe, MAYBE in light of what happened with Kivlinieks Seattle picked Bayreuther as a kind of "mercy pick" rather than taking one of the other guys because it would have been so disruptive to the CBJ through no real fault of their own.

Francis calls up Jarmo "Hey man, sorry about what happened, so here's what I'm going to do...". Maybe Francis hopes it puts him in a good light for some future consideration down the road. Purely a solid citizen move.

I know there's no room for humanity and compassion in business or sports, but 20 years from now, I would not be surprised at all to read this in someone's memoir, Pollyanna-ish as it may be.
I like this conspiracy theory because it involves people being nice rather than being sinister jerks.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
That should tell you that Francis preferred nothing to Domi.

If you're telling me that none of the unprotected players from Columbus were better than actual nothing, I don't know what to say. Francis wasted an asset here, again. Any player that could be flipped for a pick should have been targeted.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Oh I'm sure they would have had advertised the move a ton if that was the story :P

but yeah lets hope its that

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Francis, you moron. You could have taken...I don't know...Max Domi, instead of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Cant say it any better than this. It's baffling. Ron Francis was one of my favorite players growing up. But he looks like a complete buffoon as an expansion GM.

Even if your plan is to ultimately suck ass and draft Wright or Bedard, select your Max Domis and JVRs. PLay them for six months and then flip them in-season with big money retained for first rounders and prospects, at the TDL when teams have no free cap and are desperate for players like that. That at least gives you MORE options to trade up, get extra young players, etc.

I mean he seems determined to make the Kraken mediocre/bad, expensive with big contracts, and also have no bright future ahead.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah I had them taking Stenlund, but that's the problem with taking 30 players for a 23 man roster. Don't know if Stenlund (or whoever would have been displaced) would have had significant trade value.

Would've been more than nothing - I imagine Stenlund or Kukan would've been worth a mid/late round pick at least.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
We need a press conference, I want to know what he thought of his old team and his return to Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad