Prospect Info: CBJ Development Camp 2023 at Chiller North | July 2-6

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It's a pleasure to ready that dev camp roster sheet. The prospect tournament wont be ready for Rysavy-Fantilli-Dumais, Mateychuk-Ceulemans
I need to start saving money now to go to the TC tourney this year. Hopefully it’s still on moving forward. I know 1 other team just dropped out recently.

It’s gotta be great from an organizational standpoint and “team building”, but, I’m sure overall it’s “not cheap”, in relation to some other alternatives.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Hedger is a complete hack…can’t believe the Dispatch hasn’t axed him yet.

There is no reason for Jiricek to be at developmental camp, he’s making a story out of nothing.
Yeah, I'm not impressed with the first tweet, then there's a second tweet but he still has no idea what the reason is.(and you're probably right)

Just don't tweet until you're sure, duh. Heh.

Reactions: MAHJ71

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Surprise so far - Dumais skating has improved still not spectacular but his 1st step and mechanics are a lot better. He definitely is quicker.
Great to hear. And he still has the main training period of July-August to work on it before next season

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
any reason why babcock isn’t on ice? I can’t remember in the past if the HC is always off the ice for the first day.. I know in the past the HC is always on the ice atleast for the other days.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Figured I'd compile a few of my thoughts as I was there for all of Group A and Most of Group B's sessions.

For Group A:

1. All eyes were obviously on Fantilli and he delivered. I was pleased to see he was giving full go effort in the skating drills when they were on Rink 1. He did those fairly easily. His edge work on his skating is insane. When it came to Rink 2, he was putting on a display with his shot. I will say though during the individual 1on1 drills I think he lost the puck every time from the defensive player. However defensively he more than held his own. Apparently he also scored a Michigan goal but I didn't see it but everyone was talking about it. There was a brief scare personally in one drill when Brinkley shot it, the puck got stopped by the goalie and it came up and hit Fantilli in the mouth. He shook it off and had no bleeding or anything, but still was concerning at the time. It be your own friends sometimes.

2. Jordan Dumais can really rip a puck. Like REALLY rip it. He's so accurate.

3. Didn't really think Pyyhtia or Knazko had much interest level in the drills. Not sure if they just got in town from Finland/Slovakia but they didn't have much legs.

4. Malatesta was really struggling in the skating drills.

5. LDBB looked bigger than I thought he was. Can tell he's working on his skating.

6. Brindley is very skilled and tenacious. Can tell he was looking to impress the crowd as he was doing between the legs shots and really getting Fantilli involved in duo drills together.

For Group B:

1. Mateychuk is a fluid skater. Had no issues in the skating drills and was good at moving the puck quick in duo passing drills.

2. McKown has a lot of NHL traits right now. Namely in his skating and in his shot. He was probably the best forward in Group B when it comes to standing out.

3. Whitelaw can also rip it. He was smaller in person than he looked on tape. But he definitely has skill.

4. Richard is also very smooth with his skating and moving of the puck. There's a lot to like in his tool kit, but he's got to tap into it at the college level.

Saw Dave Maetzold, Rick Nash's family, and Portzline mingling with the fans. Directly after Group A was done Fantilli came off the ice and started signing stuff and taking pictures with fans/kids (he was prioritizing kids which is a good move). I came so close to getting one but then the PR team pulled him away. Seemed very excited to be there and was soaking in all the kids wanting to take pictures with him.

Up high on the second floor overlooking the rinks I saw Babcock speaking with JD, Jarmo, Josh Flynn, and Nash at various times but none of them ever came down to speak or be with fans (which is totally fine). I saw a few scouts (I only know they are scouts because I have seen them in Behind the Battle) up there talking amongst each other.

Jared Boll and Dorsett were running "Battle" and 1on1 drills. Which was pretty cool to see. They would throw pucks to the offensive player in stride and make the defensive player keep him away from the front of the net. Was more physical than I thought it would be, but nothing went over the edge. (These were the drills I was saying Fantilli kept getting the puck poked away on)

McCuddenn and the other coaches (sorry I don't know their names) were running more team based/skills drills. Fantilli and Brindley were excelling in these.

Overall fun day and really great rink if you've never been. It's far superior to Chiller Easton. If you can make it out for any of the days and are looking for some free hockey I recommend it. But just a heads up, they start on one rink to do skating drills and edge work, and then all the players get off and move to the rink next door to do the team/goalie drills. There is way less seating at this rink than the first one so if you want a good spot make sure you stand near the doors to the next rink ready to take off when the players start leaving (you can also get fist bumps from the players as they walk to the next rink).

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I figure #11 has 3 months to get used and adapt to bigger, stronger and better skilled players riding herd on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad