Confirmed with Link: CBJ Claim Jack Skille on Waivers

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Goals per minute is a terrible stat and one that cannot stand on its own at all to argue a player's merit. Here is it league wide.

What an idiotic argument. Goals per minute translates to what you do in the role you were given. He's producing with the role he's given. I doubt we've suddenly found a top six player; having said that just because you play 3rd or 4th line minutes means you are a bad player.

As soon as you get that, you might be able to start analyzing players. You seem to hate some of the role players we've had over the years. Not sure why; but I'm beginning to think it's just stirring the pot.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Certainly, but these same people arguing that the stats don't matter is humorous.

If you don't understand the concept of sample size, then look it up. It'll help you analyze stats much better.

I'll try to help. Really.

Take last season. If you look at the sample of all players playing one game or more in goals produced per 60 minutes at even strength, then you have this:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...13_s&f2=5v5&f7=1-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

You'll see that none of the top 10 played more than 6 games and 5 of them were defensemen. You will probably not categorize any of the top 10 on this list as elite players. Ryan Johansen was 25th in this sample size.

Moving the sample to a minimum of 10 games played, you have this: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3_s&f2=5v5&f7=10-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

Already the defensemen have been eliminated as one would expect. 5 of the top 10 players are commonly recognized as very good players. Jack Skille topped this list:laugh: Johansen was 14th on this list.

Moving to 30 games and this is what you get:http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3_s&f2=5v5&f7=30-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

7 of the top 10 are those one would expect on the list. Johansen cracked the top 10 at the 30 game minimum.

Moving to the 60 game mark and this is what one sees:http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3_s&f2=5v5&f7=60-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

By this point, all of the top 10 are represented by top players. This is to be expected once one removes shorter term variables from the equation. Ryan Johansen is tied for 6th in this sample size.

The larger the sample size, the greater the accuracy of the statistic in reflecting true performance. If the Jackets would call up a player from Springfield who scored 1 ES goal in one game and was sent back down for the rest of the season, he would lead the league in ES goals produced per 60 minutes IF ONE USED A ONE GAME MINIMUM SAMPLE. That surely wouldn't indicate that he was the most dangerous goal scorer at even strength in the entire league:)

No one could possibly argue that the top 10 of the one or 10 game sample are as capable scorers as a group than those on the 60 game minimum list.

I hope that helps explain why size of sample is important in drawing valid conclusions from any given statistic.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If you don't understand the concept of sample size, then look it up. It'll help you analyze stats much better.

I'll try to help. Really.

Take last season. If you look at the sample of all players playing one game or more in goals produced per 60 minutes at even strength, then you have this:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...13_s&f2=5v5&f7=1-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

You'll see that none of the top 10 played more than 6 games and 5 of them were defensemen. You will probably not categorize any of the top 10 on this list as elite players. Ryan Johansen was 25th in this sample size.

Moving the sample to a minimum of 10 games played, you have this: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3_s&f2=5v5&f7=10-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

Already the defensemen have been eliminated as one would expect. 5 of the top 10 players are commonly recognized as very good players. Jack Skille topped this list:laugh: Johansen was 14th on this list.

Moving to 30 games and this is what you get:http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3_s&f2=5v5&f7=30-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

7 of the top 10 are those one would expect on the list. Johansen cracked the top 10 at the 30 game minimum.

Moving to the 60 game mark and this is what one sees:http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3_s&f2=5v5&f7=60-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

By this point, all of the top 10 are represented by top players. This is to be expected once one removes shorter term variables from the equation. Ryan Johansen is tied for 6th in this sample size.

The larger the sample size, the greater the accuracy of the statistic in reflecting true performance. If the Jackets would call up a player from Springfield who scored 1 ES goal in one game and was sent back down for the rest of the season, he would lead the league in ES goals produced per 60 minutes IF ONE USED A ONE GAME MINIMUM SAMPLE. That surely wouldn't indicate that he was the most dangerous goal scorer at even strength in the entire league:)

No one could possibly argue that the top 10 of the one or 10 game sample are as capable scorers as a group than those on the 60 game minimum list.

I hope that helps explain why size of sample is important in drawing valid conclusions from any given statistic.

Yawn.
Thanks. Too bad its all irrelevant since I have a position already made up in my mind and "facts" aren't going to change it.....;)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Just when I decide to drop in on Porty's chat, I see this:

Comment From major major
Hi Aaron, thanks for chatting. According to the advanced stats, Jack Skille leads the Blue Jackets in goals per minute. Simple math would tell you this means he should be getting more ice time, but I'm not seeing it. When will Richie and the staff start giving Jack more ice time? he's earned it

Dispatch staff, if you're going to impersonate me, please just go ahead and copy my actual posts. I am far too vain to see arguments under my name that are subtly different from my own arguments, and that might lack proper punctuation.

For the record: I think Richie has recognized Skille's potential plenty, and given him a fair amount of ice time. I'm not even sold that Skille can turn into a top six winger, but it's worth giving him some looks, and Richards is doing that. I also don't refer to goals per minute as an advanced stat.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Not the "stats" but one, cherry picked statistic that isn't a good indication of a player's skill or value.

Agreed.

1. You can use almost any stat to prove or disprove your point.
2. It's the internet, has anyone ever successful changed someone else's opinion on it?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Also for the record: I don't see Skille as the ideal kind of player to put on Joey's wing. Skille doesn't need a great playmaker to set him up in the goal mouth. Put him with Letestu or Chaput and he'll score just as much. Foligno and Atkinson on the other hand are much better with Joey than they'd be with a lesser center.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yawn.
Thanks. Too bad its all irrelevant since I have a position already made up in my mind and "facts" aren't going to change it.....;)

Yawn back.

Really wasn't directed at you. Thought somebody else might get something from it if they looked at it.

Back to your playstation now;)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just did a little number crunching on Skille and came up with this:

Year PP time/game
14-15 0:08
13-14 0:07
12-13 0:14
11-12 0:14
10-11 0:36
09-10 0:00
08-09 0:03
07-08 1:10

If one throws out his rookie year (all 16 games of it), then Skille has seen a grand total of about 50 minutes of PP time in his other 183 NHL games.

He has a decent shot and he's never been given an opportunity on the PP in the NHL. He scored 13 goals in 22 games last year in Springfield-by far his best goals per game productivity in his AHL career. One of the major differences between the NHL and the AHL is the speed of the game. 5 vs 4, play in the NHL slows down and I wonder if Skille may have improved his scoring touch (based on last year's NHL and AHL numbers) to the point where he might be an effective PP guy.

I think he'd be worth a shot at some sustained second wave PP time just to see what might happen.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sample size is important? Who knew. Is that why you need things like minimum games played to be eligible to be a leader in stats in every sport?

Man I wish I knew this before people started stating the obvious. Here I was watching the player on the ice and coming to my own conclusion without looking at the stats. Here I was observing that Skille has a pretty good shot; better than over half of our forwards - easily. Man, I've really got to rethink things...

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sample size is important? Who knew. Is that why you need things like minimum games played to be eligible to be a leader in stats in every sport?

Man I wish I knew this before people started stating the obvious. Here I was watching the player on the ice and coming to my own conclusion without looking at the stats. Here I was observing that Skille has a pretty good shot; better than over half of our forwards - easily. Man, I've really got to rethink things...

Some people may not be mathematically inclined or just young and inexperienced and it may have been of some use to them.

Not every post is directed at you:laugh: In fact, I'd gather almost every one isn't that doesn't quote you:laugh:This one, however, is:)

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
according to Portzy's twitter, Skille practiced on the 2nd line today

lines were:

Hartnell/Joey/Foligno
Letestu/Anisimov/Skille
Calvert/Wennberg/Atkinson
Cracknell/Chaput/Boll

dunno what Atkinson did to deserve the demotion but hey, Skille seems primed to get more ice time

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

lines were:

Hartnell/Joey/Foligno
Letestu/Anisimov/Skille
Cracknell/Chaput/Boll

dunno what Atkinson did to deserve the demotion but hey, Skille seems primed to get more ice time

Morphing from ham and eggs to steak and potatoes?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

lines were:

Hartnell/Joey/Foligno
Letestu/Anisimov/Skille
Cracknell/Chaput/Boll

I wouldn't call it a demotion until we see the TOI. I like the fact the Wennberg is centering that line that was essentially Dubinskys line last season and it should be used as a energy line. Was more interesting is that Cracknell is in for Tropp.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I wouldn't call it a demotion until we see the TOI. I like the fact the Wennberg is centering that line that was essentially Dubinskys line last season and it should be used as a energy line. Was more interesting is that Cracknell is in for Tropp.
Cracknell spent his whole career prior to us in the West. He's got the size and the style of game that works in the West. Not all too surprising to me.. eager to see what he can do. Blues and Kings fans seemed to only have good things to say about him.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I like that change. Lines look good. I would actually call that second line the third.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I like that change. Lines look good. I would actually call that second line the third.

Exactly. I really can't wait to see what happens when Jenner and eventually Dubi are back. Its just crazy how we went from having absolutely no centers to being backlogged with 5 centers who are at least top 9 worthy.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

lines were:

Hartnell/Joey/Foligno
Letestu/Anisimov/Skille
Cracknell/Chaput/Boll

I like those lines, and I'm curious how this will turn out. Though I bet we'll suffer on faceoffs with Wennberg in for Letestu. Excited to see Cracknell too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad