CBJ Board Summer '18 Prospect Rankings: #1

Who's the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Gavrikov is a bottom pairing D if he's lucky, to see how he will transition to NHL - watch Kiselevich this year in Florida, who is a better player imo, but plays similar style.
Lol what?? Gavrikov has been elite at his age every step of the way. Winning the wjc best D without scoring a point and without winning the the tourny so let that sink in. He has then played at Russias top level league and internationally over NHL guys.

I dont know why our fans have for years ranked him so low. Look back to the year he was drafted about what I was saying then and every year since Im always the highest on him and I cant get anyone to join me. He would easily be the rock besided say Nutivaara. Thats 3 guys who could all make top 4s in the Olympics for their country.

Gavrikov add Peeke

Reactions: MoeBartoli

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I thought about going Gavrikov here. I ultimately decided against it, just because to me, the #1 prospect should be the guy I think has the best chance of being a special NHL player. Gavrikov probably has the best chance of being a solid NHL contributor (playing real minutes for SKA and the Russian national team means he's probably NHL quality right now), but for him to be a special player, his offensive game would have to take a quantum leap. I'll vote for him before too long.

This is going to be a fun year to do this because there's very little to separate the top eight or nine guys. Texier, Foudy, Abramov and Davidsson in particular are extremely tough to split, for me. I ended up going with Foudy here because like I said above, I think he's got the best chance to be a special player. Abramov has superlative puck skills and he produced much more in a similar league when he was Foudy's age, but he doesn't have Foudy's natural physical gifts. It's interesting that he learned to play center in the Q last year, but I still kind of wish he'd gone to Europe, because I think playing against men would have been more valuable for his development than wrecking the Q again (this time on a line with Max Comtois, which just doesn't seem fair). I might vote for Texier ahead of Abramov (if Foudy makes a miraculous comeback here) for that reason: he's 16 months younger, but he's already shown he's comfortable playing against fully grown adults, which Abramov still hasn't.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Lol what?? Gavrikov has been elite at his age every step of the way.
Elite? What? You're really fanboying over him. There is nothing elite about that guy. You will be very disappointed when/if he steps on NHL ice. Pulljujarvi teared up WJC and now what?
There is no decent defencemen development program in Russia, we just can't do this. Name a russian d that developed in Russia and has been ELITE in NHL. Markov and Orlov are good examples but they left to NA early and basically a product of NA system. There is no surprise that best young russian D - Provorov and Sergachev left as teens.
Recent example of fail is Antipin, and he had better numbers in KHL than Gavrikov. As i said watch Kiselevich he's basically a little better version of Gavrikov.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
(playing real minutes for SKA and the Russian national team means he's probably NHL quality right now), but for him to be a special player, his offensive game would have to take a quantum leap.
Once Voynov was back Gavrikov was pushed to 2nd pair with no PP. He will be given 1st pair minutes this year, since Voynov left.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Elite? What? You're really fanboying over him. There is nothing elite about that guy. You will be very disappointed when/if he steps on NHL ice. Pulljujarvi teared up WJC and now what?
There is no decent defencemen development program in Russia, we just can't do this. Name a russian d that developed in Russia and has been ELITE in NHL. Markov and Orlov are good examples but they left to NA early and basically a product of NA system. There is no surprise that best young russian D - Provorov and Sergachev left as teens.
Recent example of fail is Antipin, and he had better numbers in KHL than Gavrikov. As i said watch Kiselevich he's basically a little better version of Gavrikov.
It seems all you are focusing on is points because thats what prov and serg do. Prov was walked a shit ton the 2nd half of the season. Even Philly fans were pointing out in their GDTs how he had seemed to taken a step back. Gavrikov will never be Jones but we have 2 scorers he has shown in tournaments like the WC and this past Olympics that he can chip in when needed and is another level above any current russian when it comes to performing his position... actual defense.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
^Like i said, fanboying. Nothing is matter but that title he won at WJC!!! Seriously, picking at Provorov? Gavrikov is lucky if he's a half player Ivan is. And IDK what board you were reading bit Philly fans will fight you if you say Werenski is better.

This year Worlds playing against NHLers showed everything you need to know about him, bottom pairing guy at best. Him missing O'Reily on that GWG in OT with Team Canada - woof.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I was never excited to have Gavrikov, so not changing ships here, i don't uderstand the hype, like he's russian Trouba or something, I watch him play for SKA, he will not get this officiating in NHL. Put him right now on this team and he will fight Harry and Gabe for #7 spot, but elite.. of course...

Also finally caught a footage of Marchenko at SKA training camp, he's the tallest and skinniest guy over there. :-D Asked him on his insta why he left Dev camp after draft, he kept saying "It wasn't my decision" and if he will go next year "It's not going to be my decision.." ok then...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm going to hope (and really hope) that it was something to do with his KHL team or his visa, and nothing we did.

Reactions: GoJackets1

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So Marchenko left dev camp early and he won't say why? I haven't been following closely.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
So Marchenko left dev camp early and he won't say why? I haven't been following closely.
he didnt go to the camp he said he had prior commitment in russia

Tarasov is the one that left camp early because is russian team camp started

Marchenko could have come for the start too but he doesn't seem to love america

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
he didnt go to the camp he said he had prior commitment in russia

Oh ok. Thanks. That's pretty understandable. Dev camp has usually been a "come if you're free" sort of thing.

Does anyone know the details of his arrangement with SKA? A 2 year contract? I'm presuming he'll be in MHL for the duration. With SKA coaching it would be the ideal spot for him. We'd feel more at ease if he was on this side of the Atlantic but most 18 year old kids do better staying in their own culture/language.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Those comments on Marchenko are alarming, Maylo.
Yep, i was pointing at Kravtsov and Denisenko to him as an examples, (they both stayed at camps and are both KHL players with commitment he said "I don't know what was with those guys, i'm not them and don't compare them to me, it wasn't me who decided to stay at camp or to leave". But SKA camp started a week after Dev camp, and he went straight to Barnaul to hang out at the pool. So i don't know what kind of commitment it was.

I also asked him why there is no pics from the draft at his insta, is he even exited that he was drafted? "I had some problem with pics". But no problem to post pics from SKA camp, ok. Maybe i'm nitpicking but so far i don't like all those little details. So, until he will come here at least for dev camp i don't count on him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yep, i was pointing at Kravtsov and Denisenko to him as an examples, (they both stayed at camps and are both KHL players with commitment he said "I don't know what was with those guys, i'm not them and don't compare them to me, it wasn't me who decided to stay at camp or to leave". But SKA camp started a week after Dev camp, and he went straight to Barnaul to hang out at the pool. So i don't know what kind of commitment it was.

I also asked him why there is no pics from the draft at his insta, is he even exited that he was drafted? "I had some problem with pics". But no problem to post a pics from SKA camp, ok. Maybe i'm nitpicking but so far i don't like all those little details. So, until he will come here at least for dev camp i don't count on him.

Yikes.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Personally I do not feel any of our prospects have the chance to be elite players. That is fine, as I think many of them will become role players. I lost my voting privileges I think but I think my top 3 would be:

Foudy
Abramov
Gavrikov

As far as who is the “safest” bet that they are at least something in the NHL I would say Gavrikov, Foudy, then Abramov.

I really like Abramov but his size scares me, I also think to be that small an effective you must be fast. He is not.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Does anyone know the details of his arrangement with SKA? A 2 year contract? .
There is no deal so far with SKA, they bought him and Morozov for R20M, and said the deal will be announced soon, but the deal hasn't been announced yet, but he's been training with main SKA team. At least i saw him on their videos.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I also asked him why there is no pics from the draft at his insta, is he even exited that he was drafted? "I had some problem with pics". But no problem to post pics from SKA camp, ok. Maybe i'm nitpicking but so far i don't like all those little details. So, until he will come here at least for dev camp i don't count on him.

Asking for pics is a bit pushy, in my opinion. I do wonder who did make the decision to stay or leave. What is he talking about?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Asking for pics is a bit pushy, in my opinion. I do wonder who did make the decision to stay or leave. What is he talking about?
I mean every hockey kid dream is to be drafted by NHL team, he flew here for this event, then you go to their page after draft and there are those getty taged pics with "Dream came true" cliche. He wasn't some late round pick there were a lot of promo pics of him. Kirill Marchenko Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
He stayed silent, plus left the camp. I didn't like it, esp. next to Denisenko, Kravtsov reactions. That's all.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I mean every hockey kid dream is to be drafted by NHL team, he flew here for this event, then you go to their page after draft and there are those getty taged pics with "Dream came true" cliche. He wasn't some late round pick there were a lot of promo pics of him. Kirill Marchenko Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
He stayed silent, plus left the camp. I didn't like it, esp. next to Denisenko, Kravtsov reactions. That's all.

It might be a red flag, but also everyone has a different way of publicly celebrating. I just had the most amazing vacation but you wouldn't know it from my facebook photos.

Side question, does he speak any English yet?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Side question, does he speak any English yet?
Zero.
I also found Kravtsov answer about dev camp.

– Will Chelyabinsk let you go to the beginners camp?

- Yes, there is an agreement. No one will obstruct. I have time to go back to the beginning of the camp in "Traktor".

So maybe Marchenko didn't have an agreement with SKA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad