CBJ Board Summer '18 Prospect Rankings: #1

Who's the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I voted Abramov but still surprise not more people are Gavrikov fan he's a world class player already he just need to be able to do the transition to NHL play but I guess his celling isn't sky high

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I voted Abramov but still surprise not more people are Gavrikov fan he's a world class player already he just need to be able to do the transition to NHL play but I guess his celling isn't sky high

I voted Gavrikov but went back and forth between him, Abramov and Elvis. I wasn't expecting Gavrikov to win, but a little surprised he's only got 2 votes right now.

In most years, I remember the top 2 picks being pretty easy to pick. Seems a little bit more clumped together this year.

Reactions: thebus88

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I voted Gavrikov but went back and forth between him, Abramov and Elvis. I wasn't expecting Gavrikov to win, but a little surprised he's only got 2 votes right now.

In most years, I remember the top 2 picks being pretty easy to pick. Seems a little bit more clumped together this year.

I guess lots of CBJ prospect play in Europe right now so it is a bit easier to see Abramov.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Gavrikov is not exactly in vogue right now as a stay at home defenseman. Add in the question of will he ever come to NA, and if does can he adapt to the smaller rink, and I have a tough time ranking him highly.

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I agree with all of what's being said. I'm a little blown away at how many votes Abramov has. I think people are hyping up Abramov a bit much because he's a "flashy" player. I'm not gonna say a whole lot about Abramov until I at least see him in some AHL or preseason NHL games. What I will say is what Gavrikov, Elvis AND Texier have proven in LEGIT pro leagues and the difference between them and the 'Q', should not be overlooked.

Its also interesting that while people admit he more than likely wont meet the expectations, Abramov is given an extremely HIGH "ceiling", whereas the other guys' "ceilings" are restricted for some reason.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

He is better than a lot of other prospects now, but he doesn't have as much potential as others. When voting for prospects, I also vote for who would be the best if they all hit their potential.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
He is better than a lot of other prospects now, but he doesn't have as much potential as others. When voting for prospects, I also vote for who would be the best if they all hit their potential.
you can't only consider potential I think it need to be a balance between the two that's why I did vote for Abramov but I hope he doesn't fall too much just because people doesn't think he has a 1st pair potential.

I'm not gonna say a whole lot about Abramov until I at least see him in some AHL or preseason NHL games.

Abramov did play in the AHL a bit before and was quite amazing if he start in Cleveland I really expect him to be at least over 0.75 PPG this season and yes people are probably amazed by how flashy he is, that's how you get excited over prospects.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I agree, I have cooled significantly on Abramov. I have him 3rd on my list behind Elvis and Gavrikov.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gavrikov is not exactly in vogue right now as a stay at home defenseman. Add in the question of will he ever come to NA, and if does can he adapt to the smaller rink, and I have a tough time ranking him highly.

The problem is your or THE idea of him being simply a "stay at home" defenseman and how important he is and can be.

This 1st video shows off his defensive and offensive ability.

This shows off his shot, smart pinch/defensive play at the red line (similar to video 1) and quick pass leading to a 2 on 1.

This is him showing off his "stay at home" qualities.

Get those votes in.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Abramov has such a special skillset. How many players have that combination of shiftiness, anticipation, and puck control? I don't think he's going to have a problem flying by the bigger players of the NHL. I do worry that he could get squashed in the corners.

The problem is your or THE idea of him being simply a "stay at home" defenseman and how important he is and can be.

This 1st video shows off his defensive and offensive ability.

He actually made a terrible pinch and then missed Kovalchuk there, but got away with a trip. In any case I like Gavrikov a lot even though I don't think he has the instincts to add much offence.

I don't think highlights are a good way to judge players. We also need to see the low-lights and the medium-lights.

Look for "every shift" video whenever you can, like this one for Foudy. I wish we had that for all of our prospects.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Abramov has such a special skillset. How many players have that combination of shiftiness, anticipation, and puck control? I don't think he's going to have a problem flying by the bigger players of the NHL. I do worry that he could get squashed in the corners.

Sonny Milano?? Nikita Filatov?

He actually made a terrible pinch and then missed Kovalchuk there, but got away with a trip. In any case I like Gavrikov a lot even though I don't think he has the instincts to add much offence.

I don't think highlights are a good way to judge players. We also need to see the low-lights and the medium-lights.

That's absolute BS calling that a "terrible pinch". Definitely didn't miss Kovalchuk OR get away with a trip. All 3 videos highlight his offensive ability/potential. He has a BOOMING shot at the very least and is actually quite good with the puck on his stick and passing. The 3rd video shows his instincts and legit speed as he beats nearly every other player down the ice. And his ability to "finish".

These aren't some highlight reels. They are in-game clips. There's a reason a guy like Gavrikov doesn't have a highlight reel.

These guys are PROVING things at the MENS International level that Abramov "cant" do at the JUNIOR International level.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Gavrikov is a bottom pairing D if he's lucky, to see how he will transition to NHL - watch Kiselevich this year in Florida, who is a better player imo, but plays similar style.

Reactions: cslebn

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Gavrikov is a bottom pairing D if he's lucky, to see how he will transition to NHL - watch Kiselevich this year in Florida, who is a better player imo, but plays similar style.

Gavrikov is 21, how old is Kiselevich??

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sonny Milano?? Nikita Filatov?

Abramov's agility and the quickness with which he reads the play are well ahead of Milano. His high end speed is maybe not as good, and he's obviously a lot smaller.

That's absolute BS calling that a "terrible pinch". Definitely didn't miss Kovalchuk OR get away with a trip.

From that angle at least, if he doesn't take out Kovalchuk's legs he would have let him by. That's "clipping".

These aren't some highlight reels. They are in-game clips.

Actually together those videos are Gavrikov's "highlights" from the last two years. If you put it on one video, it would be.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That first video of Gavrikov was an extremely risky move, he barely got a piece of his guy and if he misses he gives up a 2 on 1. I wouldn't say it's a trip, but he definitely missed with his body

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
From that angle at least, if he doesn't take out Kovalchuk's legs he would have let him by. That's "clipping".

Actually together those videos are Gavrikov's "highlights" from the last two years. If you put it on one video, it would be.

His in-game play is better than the "highlights" of when he gets goals/points. That's the whole point. He plays on the damn Russian National team.

That first video of Gavrikov was an extremely risky move, he barely got a piece of his guy and if he misses he gives up a 2 on 1. I wouldn't say it's a trip, but he definitely missed with his body

For both of you, at 42-43 seconds in you can see him throw his arms/stick out and hit Kovalchuk closer to the hip than his knees. Is there a bit of skate on skate contact, yeah, its STILL hockey, right?

He definitely made contact. Enough to knock him down and start the puck the other way. And it wasn't a penalty. Shouldn't have been, AND WASNT on the ice. You guys are talking about what COULD have happened, not what DID happen. If Werenski made this exact play it would be brought up for years.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Playing on the russian national team at 21 is pretty amazing someone just compared him to Kiselevich which make no sense. Gavrikov is 6 years younger, bigger and already better and can still improve and peak higher.

Also a lot of people seem to love Abramov doesn't even know he's a faceoff beast too.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad