CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A&M never attempted to get any type of a run game going in either of those games, or in the losses against pretty much anyone the last two years.

And the Browns have who at running back....oh, that's right.

*My Cleveland fandom is kicking. It's basically a sure thing that this won't work out.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
And the Browns have who at running back....oh, that's right.

*My Cleveland fandom is kicking. It's basically a sure thing that this won't work out.

Ben Tate.

Regardless, A&M was able to have a backfield rotation of four different backs (plus Manziel) who bring different things to the table. And yet they seemed content to not use any of them at times.

This year, they lost to Alabama despite putting up 42 points. A&M had 32 rushes and 39 passes, with Manziel having 14 of those carries. Against Auburn, a loss despite scoring 41 points, they had 42 passes and 40 rushes (18 by Manziel). Against LSU, with only 10 points scored, it was 41 passes against 18 rushes (12 by Manziel). Against Missouri, with 21 points scored, it was 35 passes and 35 rushes (11 by Manziel); that Missouri defense was tremendous.

The 2012 game loss against LSU saw A&M attempt 56 passes and 37 rushes (20 by Manziel).

So there were two losses while scoring 40+ points, they went back and forth against one of the best teams in the country with Missouri, and only got truly shut down against LSU. Believe it or not, it's not that tough to score against the legendary 3rd-and-Chavis defense. He's run the same scheme for 20 years with minimal adjustments, and frequently has poor alignments on the perimeter. It's made to pass on, but it's easier to run on as well.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
As a Bengals fan, I love the Manziel pick. The more optimistic Cleveland fan is, the more delicious their tears are as another season falls apart.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
As a Bengals fan, I love the Manziel pick. The more optimistic Cleveland fan is, the more delicious their tears are as another season falls apart.

We're jumping into the deep end preparing to sink or swim with Johnny, while the Bungals are just treading water with Dalton and going nowhere.

There's definitely a chance Manziel busts, but I still like my chances with him as the franchise qb over Andy Dalton.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Im sorry to all Browns fans but LOL! They get their QB and now his #1 receiver gets suspended for the season and he may never play again. Totally the Browns' luck

Tom Reed ‏@treed1919 15m

ESPN reporting #Browns All-Pro receiver Josh Gordon could be facing a season-long ban for another failed drug test.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
....Aaaaaand of course the Browns draft, wait for it, zero wide receivers.

Need a veteran? Santonio Holmes, Miles Austin, Michael Jenkins, Kevin Walter, Santana Moss, Deion Branch, and Plaxico Burress are all out there. Want someone for a longer term? Earl Bennett, Kevin Ogletree, Danario Alexander.

No sense in burning a draft pick on a guy that simply fills a possible short-term need, especially when there's still good value in free agency.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Loved the packers draft...a couple of times I thought they could go another route but overall sold...

as far as WRs for Browns, yeah, i figured they'd go with Lee on day 2, but they didn't...plenty of guys out there to be a stop gap if dude is out for the entire year...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Need a veteran? Santonio Holmes, Miles Austin, Michael Jenkins, Kevin Walter, Santana Moss, Deion Branch, and Plaxico Burress are all out there. Want someone for a longer term? Earl Bennett, Kevin Ogletree, Danario Alexander.

No sense in burning a draft pick on a guy that simply fills a possible short-term need, especially when there's still good value in free agency.

They have a long-term need at receiver, considering Gordon may be done in Cleveland. Even before that, their #2/3 WRs were pretty weak. It was an area of need heading into the draft, and they did nothing to address it.

None of the guys you listed are really going to help Manziel a whole lot. There is a reason they haven't been picked up yet.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Austin signs with Browns.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-austin-agrees-to-terms-with-cleveland-browns

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10938955/will-cleveland-expectations-rock-johnny-manziel-nfl

I despise all 3 parties. I think this is the worst article ever written.

That link needs this

070110510.jpg

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10938955/will-cleveland-expectations-rock-johnny-manziel-nfl

I despise all 3 parties. I think this is the worst article ever written.

Filled with rumor, innuendo, and gossip. I'm not fond of Manziel, but he doesn't deserve this kind of hatchet job by a smarmy creep like Bayless, who knows nothing about Cleveland or the Browns. For instance, "For Browns fans, who haven't had a long-running star QB since Otto Graham in the 1940s and '50s..." Sure, as long as you don't count Frank Ryan, Brian Sipe, or Bernie Kosar, all who had very good careers of significant length in Cleveland. No, none of them were Otto, but not many other QBs have ever matched his accomplishments.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Browns sign Austin AND Bennett...not a bad coup

Meh, Bennett has 12 TDs total in 6 seasons and Austin is injury-prone and coming off a TD-free year. I think they'll struggle unless Gordon somehow avoids suspension.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Filled with rumor, innuendo, and gossip. I'm not fond of Manziel, but he doesn't deserve this kind of hatchet job by a smarmy creep like Bayless, who knows nothing about Cleveland or the Browns. For instance, "For Browns fans, who haven't had a long-running star QB since Otto Graham in the 1940s and '50s..." Sure, as long as you don't count Frank Ryan, Brian Sipe, or Bernie Kosar, all who had very good careers of significant length in Cleveland. No, none of them were Otto, but not many other QBs have ever matched his accomplishments.

None of those three really lasted though. Sipe had a high peak, but skipped out to play in the USFL. Kosar didn't have as high of a peak, but lasted a bit longer although he was never a top-5 QB in the league. Ryan didn't last. If those three count, why not Milt Plum?

But as is standard, that's about the only thing Bayless blathers on about that has any basis in something resembling fact. He's a complete hack, although I'll admit to being shocked that he could see any other QB while burying himself face-first in Tom Brady.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Meh, Bennett has 12 TDs total in 6 seasons and Austin is injury-prone and coming off a TD-free year. I think they'll struggle unless Gordon somehow avoids suspension.

a lot of that was Chicago and their "get the ball to Hester" plans...

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Watch out for the Buffalo Bills, God bless his soul but Ralph Wilson is dead and Sammy Watkins is a Buffalo Bill!!!!!

Buckle up folks, the Bills are coming....

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Oh..... California Chrome.... look it up dudes and dudetes, we could be seeing history, only 12 Triple Crowns in history.

Just sayin the upcoming Belmont might be a good race to watch… ;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Oh..... California Chrome.... look it up dudes and dudetes, we could be seeing history, only 12 Triple Crowns in history.

In what I've read and what my admittedly inexpert eyes have watched, Chrome is not as good a horse as a half-dozen we've seen in the past decade. I love the excitement of a possible Triple Crown, but this horse to me feels... meh.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Lots of stud fees if he wins...not to mention the Breathe Right Strips endorsement contract. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad