Confirmed with Link: CBJ adds G Kinkaid from NJD for 2022 5th round pick

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
That may be but we know how Bob is playing right now. New guy is an unknown entity within the context of this organization. You play Korpi before you play him, imo.
Kinkaid is new to us but not the NHL... I'm just a fan, I know our goaltenders... I can't wait to see Kinkaid in our net... We need new blood between those pipes...

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Kinkaid is new to us but not the NHL... I'm just a fan, I know our goaltenders... I can't wait to see Kinkaid in our net... We need new blood between those pipes...
Which is why I said why I said unknown to our organization. I’m not at all opposed to giving him starts but, if it were me, I don’t start him right out the gate with one practice and Bob’s playing well. But who knows what Torts will do. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong and he’s our next coming of Roy.

Reactions: Robert

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Which is why I said why I said unknown to our organization. I’m not at all opposed to giving him starts but, if it were me, I don’t start him right out the gate with one practice and Bob’s playing well. But who knows what Torts will do. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong and he’s our next coming of Roy.

I think that bringing in Kink is the ultimate complement to our defense, and should push both Bob & Korpi to play better. Basically we don't need you to win the fricking game from net at this point boys, we want to make damn sure you don't lose it for us. Kink will be serviceable at this point and the guy can also throw shutouts. As Jarmo said in his 6 minute interview - we are already playing playoff games at this point. Every game is important. If Torts doesn't throw Bob out there after his last two shutouts then Bob better be sick on his back. Just saying..

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I think that bringing in Kink is the ultimate complement to our defense, and should push both Bob & Korpi to play better. Basically we don't need you to win the fricking game from net at this point boys, we want to make damn sure you don't lose it for us. Kink will be serviceable at this point and the guy can also throw shutouts. As Jarmo said in his 6 minute interview - we are already playing playoff games at this point. Every game is important. If Torts doesn't throw Bob out there after his last two shutouts then Bob better be sick on his back. Just saying..
Yes this.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Hahaha... I doubt Kinks is our next Roy..... I just hope he's not another Bob/Korp..... ;) If Bob wins a playoff series I'll eat CROW!!!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If it really is about injury insurance it's a blunder, a waste of a pick when our scouts have so few.

"• Expect a healthy dose of Bobrovsky the rest of the way, as the Blue Jackets have a 21-game sprint to lock down a playoff spot (and try to avoid a first-round matchup with Tampa Bay). Tortorella made it clear that he views Korpisalo as Bobrovsky’s backup, so it’ll be curious to see how Kinkaid stays busy.
• Why acquire Kinkaid? Well, it’s an insurance policy should something unfortunate happen down the stretch. Before the trade, AHL Cleveland’s Jean-Francois Berube was the organization’s No. 3. Some have called the Blue Jackets “reckless” for selling so much of their future for a bunch of UFAs, but it would be truly reckless to put together a roster such as this and have it fall to pieces because of an injury to a goaltender.
• Don’t forget: Elvis is coming, too, as soon as his season ends in Switzerland. After a loss Monday, Merzlikins’ Lugano club is one point out of the playoffs with three games remaining in the regular season. Two of Lugano’s remaining three games are against the top two teams in the Swiss League."

You don't need to explain to me why insurance is a nice thing. Winning the Stanley Cup is not like protecting an investment. Inherently there's a low probability of success, whereas insurance should be a guard against a low probability of failure. We just paid an extra nickel for a scratch ticket, without changing the chance of success by more than .01%.

And nevermind that it seems "definitely an NHL goalie" Merzlikins is here too now. So we're talking about paying to protect against the possibility that 3 goalies get hurt at once. There might be a better probability that that 5th round draft pick turns into the next Nikita Kucherov.

I would have thought there's a chance they would put Kinkaid in in the scenario where Bobrovsky starts out struggling in a series against, say Washington or Pittsburgh. But Torts contention that Kinkaid is the #3 goalie seems to squash that possibility. By the time you find out goalies #1 and #2 don't work, the series is over.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
• Expect a healthy dose of Bobrovsky the rest of the way, as the Blue Jackets have a 21-game sprint to lock down a playoff spot (and try to avoid a first-round matchup with Tampa Bay). Tortorella made it clear that he views Korpisalo as Bobrovsky’s backup, so it’ll be curious to see how Kinkaid stays busy.

Korpisalo is ahead of Kinkaid by a leash of sixty minutes. One game is all it takes for him to lose his given job as he previously did against Forsberg, McElhinney and Harri Säteri with the Finnish national team in World Championships of 2016. Korpisalo was welcomed as NHL goaltender into that tournament which gives some perspective of the value of scouting when anybody could have registered his slow down slope leading into that spring. Of course Korpisalo has had two good games in January 2019 since.

Somehow Korppi has been spoken to the top, instead of playing his way there, despite his record that consists of one fairly good SM-liiga season with Ilves and then featuring in the NHL for a team that had already surrendered any hope of glory five games into the season.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Could have been insurance in case an offer came in last minute for BOB as well.

You could very well be looking at Kinkaid/Korp or Kinkaid/Elvis next season. The more of our skaters we re-sign the more likely I think this becomes. Our offense has reached the point where we can reliably put up goals, even if we lose Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad