Confirmed with Link: CBJ adds G Kinkaid from NJD for 2022 5th round pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Bob blows out his groin again, do you want to go down the stretch with Joonas Korpisalo and JF Berube?

I sure don't.

Korpisalo might be OK in sample stretches, but Berube has been woefully terrible in sample stretches. Kincaid has at least been serviceable, and should give us maybe the best backup we have had in a long time. If Bob falters or goes down, he's far more reliable than Korpisalo.

I don't think of Kinkaid as much different from Korpisalo. He certainly hasn't been reliable this year. Berube of course would be very unfortunate to have to put in net in the playoffs, that's the two injury problem.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think of Kinkaid as much different from Korpisalo. He certainly hasn't been reliable this year. Berube of course would be very unfortunate to have to put in net in the playoffs, that's the two injury problem.

We tend to look at a goalie and judge them based on what we are seeing in that moment in time. You take Bob earlier in the year and he was dreadful. I look at Kinkaid's performance the previous two seasons, he was pretty serviceable. He certainly has a lot more experience. There really weren't a lot of goalies on the move, we did what we could. It's fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We tend to look at a goalie and judge them based on what we are seeing in that moment in time. You take Bob earlier in the year and he was dreadful. I look at Kinkaid's performance the previous two seasons, he was pretty serviceable. He certainly has a lot more experience. There really weren't a lot of goalies on the move, we did what we could. It's fine.

That part was a reply to the contention that Kinkaid is reliable. I don't think he's reliable. He might be good though.

jore

Dec 26, 2007

Say Bobrovsky or Korpisalo gets hurt today, and is done for the season. Do we play Korpi or Bob for 21 games with no rotation to make the playoffs? Or let Berube play some, and lose couple more games which means a spot or two in the standings compared to Kincaid being the backup? We'd be entering the playoffs with tired and worn #1, not sure that's what I'd like to do after going all in on forwards. And if Bob goes down, who knows whether it's Korpi or Kincaid who can take us to playoffs anyway. If Korpisalo's not good enough to get us there and Berube is the only backup plan, we'd have spent a whole lot for nothing.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That part was a reply to the contention that Kinkaid is reliable. I don't think he's reliable. He might be good though.

I'm not sure what you mean by reliable. That's a pretty bad team. I'm not surprised that his numbers are down. He was well within his norms in October and November, then the wheels fell off. I think he'll be fine.

Reactions: hayen

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm starting to think the purpose of Kinkaid is to be our starter if Bob looks shaky at the outset of the playoffs.

Say Bobrovsky or Korpisalo gets hurt today, and is done for the season. Do we play Korpi or Bob for 21 games with no rotation to make the playoffs? Or let Berube play some, and lose couple more games which means a spot or two in the standings compared to Kincaid being the backup? We'd be entering the playoffs with tired and worn #1, not sure that's what I'd like to do after going all in on forwards. And if Bob goes down, who knows whether it's Korpi or Kincaid who can take us to playoffs anyway. If Korpisalo's not good enough to get us there and Berube is the only backup plan, we'd have spent a whole lot for nothing.

In the <10% chance we lose a goalie for the next month, yes we might lose a game or two because Berube will suit up. I think we'd be in the playoffs comfortably anyways. And I don't think you trade a 5th round pick to forestall that small chance of losing a few points.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In the <10% chance we lose a goalie for the next month, yes we might lose a game or two because Berube will suit up. I think we'd be in the playoffs comfortably anyways. And I don't think you trade a 5th round pick to forestall that small chance of losing a few points.

This I can get with, inasmuch as I understand where you're coming from. I think Jarmo figured "I did all this up front and it could all go for naught if something happens to one of the goalies, so I'm gonna do this just to add a layer of safety." Which I also get.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm starting to think the purpose of Kinkaid is to be our starter if Bob looks shaky at the outset of the playoffs.

If that happens, Kindaid probably isn't going to do much better. His post season numbers are actually much worse than Bob's...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My OCD is killing me, it's been almost 8 hours since this trade and its spelled "Kinkaid" not "Kincaid."

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
In securing the greatest glory, Finland's first ever World Championship gold, in Swedish terrain of 1995, third string goaltender Jukka Tammi used all his charisma to help the team. There is certain similarity to Kinkaid's karähtär although I wouldn't rule out soap glove Korpisalo losing out on this duel also.

et-RQm.gif

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It's easy to trash Kinkaid for the way NJ has played this season but his number last season when the Devils were a better team show what he can do. He basically carried the Devils to a playoff spot last season. Cory Schneider didn't win a regular season game after 12/27. If the team plays solid defense in front of Bob, Korpi, or Kinkaid I think they can all do the job.

Reactions: Sore Loser

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Long time Kinky watcher. He can be great just unpredictable. He works best with confidence and sharing the net.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
He can obviously play. It's a mental position and he can get his psyche healthy again.
Our D is more confidence inspiring than the Devils...

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Lmfao, sorry Bob , but this is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read on here in a long time. Hilarious, though

I know you have me in your crosshairs but I suggested Korpislao would start vs Tampa and you laughed at me then too... Crickets when he did....

Just a hunch DJ, relax dude...

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
One thing I do like about Kincaid is he thrives against Metro teams. This year he has a .911 save percentage and a 2.60 GAA against metro teams which is respectable. He also seems to play his best the later it gets in the season... his career stats for the month of April: 9 games, .919 save percentage. 2.25 GAA.

the potential is definitely there. I know I bashed him hard earlier in this thread but who knows, maybe a change of scenery is just what "kinky" needs.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
One thing I do like about Kincaid is he thrives against Metro teams. This year he has a .911 save percentage and a 2.60 GAA against metro teams which is respectable. He also seems to play his best the later it gets in the season... his career stats for the month of April: 9 games, .919 save percentage. 2.25 GAA.

the potential is definitely there. I know I bashed him hard earlier in this thread but who knows, maybe a change of scenery is just what "kinky" needs.

He was very good last year.... I'm hoping Bob see's Kinky in his rear view mirror, perhaps that will help Bobs focus... If Bob plays tomorrow Pitt will cheer...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->