Confirmed with Link: CBJ acquire Mathieu Olivier from Nashville for a 2022 4th

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
I think Jarmo done a great job finding a 4th line role player in Olivier.
High character. Reported Boston wanted him in the deal with Gav.

One other thing, if your looking at numbers, don't forget how often Olivier-Kuraly-Robinson have taken
D zone faceoffs against the opponents top line. I'd guess more than any other 4th line in the league.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'm not putting much stock into any of the numbers this year. The D is a shell of what it should have been (which isn't saying much) but this team was built on quick puck moving D and for most of the season that D has had Gudbranson leading the charge. It's not surprising to see everyone with shit numbers.
Yeah, though not everyone is having shitty numbers. There are couple that are even on their 5-on-5 play even with crappy D, iffy goaltending and subbar coaching.

No doubt the checking line is having worst assignments too, but to me I would want to see more "0-0" kind of results from checking line.

Reactions: majormajor

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think the fourth line, especially olivier, took their time to get accustomed to each other and Larsen stopped playing the Torts line blender. But recently, the fourth line of Robinson-Kuraly-Olivier has been one of our best (which is why we are in last place). Pederson has stepped into Kuralys role and has been fine too.

I would not be surprised to see Robinson and Olivier move on. We have so many bodies. And although I’m cool with both players, we will be getting Voronkov here as well as Texier (I think), and the numbers just might not make sense for them to stick around.

It was funny reliving people being up in arms about the fourth round pick though. Good times
For the record, I was one of those (one post on page 1 and one on page 3). I did have an issue with the asset for Olivier (it appears I was wrong and that he was “worth” a 4th rounder, although, at the same time, we’d probably be better off still having/using that lottery ticket than the value Olivier provided based on how our season went. But we will see if he’s in the long-term plans/what his role is).

But the bigger issue to me was the mindset. This is a bit different than Gudbranson, as an example, where the “asset” (the cap/term) was also pretty much a clear disaster the moment pen was put to paper, and probably the bigger issue than the mindset.

But both moves to me just represented mindset that didn’t make much sense and showed being out of touch in today’s NHL, looking specifically for physical players with little else brought to the table, as if that was our issue. We appeared to basically let one game last year against Minnesota dictate moves, as if we were a really good team that just needed an enforcer or two (and guys that are only/predominantly enforcers/sandpaper and provide little other value). And lo and behold, fast forward, and we’re in last place.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We appeared to basically let one game last year against Minnesota dictate moves, as if we were a really good team that just needed an enforcer or two (and guys that are only/predominantly enforcers/sandpaper and provide little other value). And lo and behold, fast forward, and we’re in last place.

For me it was a season long problem punctuated by that terrible Minnesota game. There was a need there.

But now we've got a relatively soft team with a couple pure fighters mixed in. That's not a good recipe. You want guys higher in the lineup who are capable of escalating physically. Versatility. Grit. Backbone. Forecheck. I hope that makes us appreciate what Nick Foligno brought a little bit more.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
For me it was a season long problem punctuated by that terrible Minnesota game. There was a need there.

But now we've got a relatively soft team with a couple fighters mixed in. That's not a good recipe. You want guys higher in the lineup who are capable of escalating physically. Versatility. Grit. Backbone. Forecheck. I hope that makes us appreciate what Nick Foligno brought a little bit more.
For sure, and that’s what I posted on page 3. We need at least a few guys like Foligno, Dubinsky, Calvert or Anderson. But Olivier (at time of trade) was more like a Boll/Shelley to me (though he has turned out a better player than I expected, but still obviously wouldn’t put him on the tier of those aforementioned 4 guys, and I’d still put him closer to that Boll/Shelley tier).

anotherlurker

Oct 31, 2022
I've watched some games and for what it's worth I like Olivier. He seems to try to make plays and try to play hockey instead of just rushing mindlessly toward the goal (like Robinson, who I like also, just that it seems he has his eyes always set directly to goal and anything else is impossible for him to think about). Interested to hear if I'm alone with my observation.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I've watched some games and for what it's worth I like Olivier. He seems to try to make plays and try to play hockey instead of just rushing mindlessly toward the goal (like Robinson, who I like also, just that it seems he has his eyes always set directly to goal and anything else is impossible for him to think about). Interested to hear if I'm alone with my observation.
A player on a defensive line that usually starts in the defensive zone gets pucks to the opposing goal, is that supposed to be a negative? Neither one are super skilled offensively but are fine in their role

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've read the recent articles on Olivier and watched his game. You can see he's worked hard to keep possession of the puck, improved his ability to aid the cycle, skill level is improved and he's responsible. He's also a stand up guy. This has been a very good trade and it's really his first year in the NHL. There is more growth in there. He can play on a lot of teams in the NHL every night

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't play. Besides, he has improved his game we need a player like him. He's strong, tough, he can "explain" to opponents that they should treat to our players decently.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As long as his play doesn't slip and he becomes a liability he as well as the entire 4th line should remain in the lineup. That's the one line barring a trade should remain untouched going into next season

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
For sure, and that’s what I posted on page 3. We need at least a few guys like Foligno, Dubinsky, Calvert or Anderson. But Olivier (at time of trade) was more like a Boll/Shelley to me (though he has turned out a better player than I expected, but still obviously wouldn’t put him on the tier of those aforementioned 4 guys, and I’d still put him closer to that Boll/Shelley tier).
That's where I am too. Easily replaceable, but he serves a role and does it pretty well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad